Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Jerry M goes CO

Mcfoto

I saw Jerry on Insta and saw “announcing my new competition model…” click expecting a new revolver model. Nope. It’s a S&W plastic fantastic with a dot installed. Will S&W ever be back in the wheel gun market or are they following the money to the shiny new kid?

1 hour ago, Racinready300ex said:

Was it a plastic fantastic or their new aluminum fantastic?

didn’t look that close. Saw it was a bottom feeder and closed the vid. Pretty sure it was striker fired.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2022 at 4:19 PM, Mcfoto said:

Will S&W ever be back in the wheel gun market or are they following the money to the shiny new kid?

Last time I looked at the S&W web site there were plenty of wheel guns in a wide variety of sizes and chamberings.   They are certainly in whatever revolver market still exists.

BTW, if you personally had a choice to make modest money or a chance to make big money, both legally, which would you do?   Why should companies not do the same?

On 11/29/2022 at 4:19 PM, Mcfoto said:

Will S&W ever be back in the wheel gun market or are they following the money to the shiny new kid?

Dude get a grip

S&W doesn't have to be "back in the wheelgun market" because they haven't left

Optic sighted semiauto pistols are not shiny new kids/things.  S&W semi auto pistols even less so.

3 hours ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

Dude get a grip

S&W doesn't have to be "back in the wheelgun market" because they haven't left

Optic sighted semiauto pistols are not shiny new kids/things.  S&W semi auto pistols even less so.

S&w has been synonymous with revolvers, as colt was until the 1911.  The question asked imho is will s&w become a revolver sponsor again?  And support it.  Co will likely even obsolete production.  My guess is the next big argument will be 2011 types in co.  That will bring on agitation.

Answering the original question, unless there's a national mag limit of8 rounds, pray not, i doubt if smith will pursue revolvers.  Just as you can't blame Smith for focusing on more salable items, you shouldn't disparage those who lament the minimizing of revolvers.

There's only so many days on the range for us all, so it's wise to shoot what you enjoy.

6 hours ago, pskys2 said:

The question asked imho is will s&w become a revolver sponsor again?  And support it.

Maybe in ICORE.  Revolvers are dead in USPSA and IDPA

Co will likely even obsolete production.  My guess is the next big argument will be 2011 types in co. 

LOL that argument came and went.  My bet is no.

you shouldn't disparage those who lament the minimizing of revolvers.

Not disparaging anyone for being sad revolvers aren't popular.  I started both CCW and IDPA with revolvers and to this day the last handgun I'll ever let go is my 3" Model 65.  Just making fun of the theatrics and hyperbole.

27 minutes ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

Maybe in ICORE.  Revolvers are dead in USPSA and IDPA

LOL that argument came and went.  My bet is no.

Not disparaging anyone for being sad revolvers aren't popular.  I started both CCW and IDPA with revolvers and to this day the last handgun I'll ever let go is my 3" Model 65.  Just making fun of the theatrics and hyperbole.

Not quite the 2022 free state saw revolver within a few of production and limited, way over pcc and s s and within 6 of open.  And im actively recruiting more for 2023.

Co was around half of the total competitors.  

As for 2011 co once manufacturers start flooding that market I'd bet the argument will return.

Only chiming in to say some form of Sao carryops will happen. I don't know if it will be its own division or if they will lump it in with carry-ops, but hell even IDPA knows it's a thing. USPSA needs to get with the program and quit listening to a bunch of whiners that are afraid of a 100+ year-old design

34 minutes ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

Instead they should listen to a tiny minority of whiners?

LOLOLOLOL

Nah, they should just listen to people who aren't wusses scared of old pistols...

On 12/14/2022 at 7:40 PM, SteelCityShooter said:

Last time I looked at the S&W web site there were plenty of wheel guns in a wide variety of sizes and chamberings.   They are certainly in whatever revolver market still exists.

BTW, if you personally had a choice to make modest money or a chance to make big money, both legally, which would you do?   Why should companies not do the same?

SCS:

I hear you but I see few if any Smith and Wesson revolvers in stock.  And of those few, nothing that most guys here demand. 

I figure they will make a run of the eight shot revolvers once a year because they know they will sell instantly but the real money maker is in their pistols.   You are correct, demand driven.  Can't blame them either.  The big money is in pistols.

Carry Optics as a category for competitive shooting was probably done because of the overwhelming number of shooters buying 'defensive' pistols with optics installed who view competition as a means of getting experience with their pistol..  A stroke of genius or simply overwhelming demand forcing the system to create the CO category?  Either way, I imagine it brought a lot of new shooters into what is a very spendy sport given ammo prices.

I don't see any of the sports doing away with a revolver category and I think the revolver shooters understand that when they show up at a match, there may only be a couple other guys shooting revolver.  Just the nature of the beast.  

GG

Can we maybe keep the Limited Optics debate out of the one place it definitely doesn't affect in the slightest?

19 minutes ago, gargoil66 said:

You are correct, demand driven.  Can't blame them either.  The big money is in pistols.

I think it's more margin than demand. Lots of fiddly little parts, frequent need for hand-fitting...

Much easier to crank out semiautos than to build a bunch of tricky revolvers, which take extra labor before they leave the factory, and many of which will likely come back for warranty claims when the picky competitors get their hands on them.

8 minutes ago, Fishbreath said:

Can we maybe keep the Limited Optics debate out of the one place it definitely doesn't affect in the slightest?

All the threads on limited optics got locked so here we are invading the revolver section. You should be used to pistol shooters trampling on you like that brand new moon clip sitting in the middle of the shooting area. 

12 hours ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

It's already happened.  I think you're about 9 months behind.

Probably i am a revolver competitor after all.  9 months is pretty current for me.  I don't know as if s a co has reached a critical mass yet.  Don't care much either, even being a super senior with eyes to match I don't enjoy optics except on long guns.  I can shoot them well just no fun.

14 minutes ago, Fishbreath said:

I think it's more margin than demand. Lots of fiddly little parts, frequent need for hand-fitting...

Much easier to crank out semiautos than to build a bunch of tricky revolvers, which take extra labor before they leave the factory, and many of which will likely come back for warranty claims when the picky competitors get their hands on them.

Now this guy makes sense.

30 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

All the threads on limited optics got locked so here we are invading the revolver section. You should be used to pistol shooters trampling on you like that brand new moon clip sitting in the middle of the shooting area. 

🤣🤣🤣

1 hour ago, Racinready300ex said:

See now that’s hilarious.