• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 4/17/2023 at 6:43 PM, ysrracer said:

IMG_20230417_112442009.jpg

1 of my friends that shoots Ipsc with me and owns a gun shop over in salina has a ton of powders started sending powder back.  because what good is powder if you Can't get primers?

32 minutes ago, lroy said:

I'm guessing there's a reason Ginex primers are so cheap?

the price is low because that is a profitable point for them to make and import to the USA.

Another way to say that is US made primers are likely to cost the same to make.

so the price to import primers is all usa makers need to beat to undercut Ginex.

If "made in USA" meant more? the over 12 FTF of  my 17hmr  rounds in the past 500

would have fired... It could be my rifle doing light strikes. dunno.

Get what is your idea of a reasonable price for primers...

what I can't tell you is that any usa made are of clearly better quality.

miranda

1 hour ago, Miranda said:

the price is low because that is a profitable point for them to make and import to the USA.

Another way to say that is US made primers are likely to cost the same to make.

so the price to import primers is all usa makers need to beat to undercut Ginex.

If "made in USA" meant more? the over 12 FTF of  my 17hmr  rounds in the past 500

would have fired... It could be my rifle doing light strikes. dunno.

Get what is your idea of a reasonable price for primers...

what I can't tell you is that any usa made are of clearly better quality.

miranda

Oh I don't really care about the logistics, I just want them to run in my press and not have a ton of light strikes.

6 hours ago, lroy said:

Oh I don't really care about the logistics, I just want them to run in my press and not have a ton of light strikes.

oh.  ok... how hard they are to light is important.

oddly enough, I've never had the chance to try ginex...

14 hours ago, lroy said:

i only use them for guns with hammers, and I pick out the cbc and s&b 40 brass. no light strikes (with a proper limited gun), and they run in the press.

I found they are a tight fit in 38 super comp brass tho, so I'm using my stash of cci for mrs moto's open gun.

16 minutes ago, usmc1974 said:

Holy s#!t, last 8 pounder I bought, A couple of years ago was 235. H4350

Probably bought some $35 a thousand primers at the same time!😂

39 minutes ago, BritinUSA said:

When I first moved to USA back in 1998, a box of 1000 was around $17.

When my grandma Josephine was a little girl, she used to go to the movie show for a nickel.

Hello all and friendly greetings from France 👋

At last a glimmer of hope on availability of SPP (I'm OK for this season with my old stocks bought at 21€/1000 in 2019 😄 but that was then..! )

• S&B 75€ and there is some stock (at last!)
  • RUAG 65-70€, also fairly good supplies
  • GECO 112€ (for reference only - not available at present)

This is about half the price of six months ago.

But my question is about reliability of RUAG (white packaging) v GECO (branded black packaging, ); a local gunshop was wary of the RUAG, saying they are second tier quality from the GECO production lines.

Any thoughts or feedback on your experience would be appreciated.

Thanks!

RUAG SPP.jpeg

GECO SPP.jpeg

On 4/19/2023 at 6:25 PM, lroy said:

I'm just curious, do you run a lot of light springs in your guns? 

Edited by usmc1974

16 minutes ago, usmc1974 said:

I'm just curious, do you run a lot of light springs in your guns? 

It's easy enough to put a stronger spring in a cz and increase the DA pull a bit, but sometimes you don't have a choice. our sig 320 with the stock striker springfor example is not very tolerant of harder primers like s&b (1% light strikes) or ginex (3-4% light strikes). Apparently no stronger striker spring even exists. we just hoard our federal and winchester primers for that gun, and shoot the harder ones in my 2011 or cz.

39 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

It's easy enough to put a stronger spring in a cz and increase the DA pull a bit, but sometimes you don't have a choice. our sig 320 with the stock striker springfor example is not very tolerant of harder primers like s&b (1% light strikes) or ginex (3-4% light strikes). Apparently no stronger striker spring even exists. we just hoard our federal and winchester primers for that gun, and shoot the harder ones in my 2011 or cz.

the rules for springs are straight forward... 'harder'  may be available.

Shorten the spring and then deform it to former length.

I know this is not always possible.

there are some other options, and it does draw the question

why didn't Sig do any of this.

miranda

20 hours ago, motosapiens said:

That would seem a little worrisome to a soldier In combat. I would have thought sig would  put strong springs in them beginning with. Hard primers has never been an issue with beretta's

Edited by usmc1974

17 minutes ago, usmc1974 said:

That would seem a little worrisome to a soldier In combat. I would have thought sig would  put strong springs in them beginning with. Hard primers has never been an issue with beretta's

Does the military has light strike problems with their ammo? 

7 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

Does the military has light strike problems with their ammo? 

That's what I was wondering but we'll never know because they'll never tell us I thought the military only used federal primers. But I don't.

@Farmer  I'd assume they also have the benefit of using the same ammo all the time. Unlike us buying different things at different times. If they work with the ammo, most likely they'll always work with that ammo. I would hope the military would sort out any issues like that, but I don't know.