Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Timer....Which one?

oddjob

I want to get a timer.  I tried the search function and really got confused as to a really good one.  Electronics development advances fast and thats what confuses me.  Its for my son to use for training/shooting/dryfire maybe?  He wants more features than a basic timer with par time capabilities.  Which timer would you get?  Kestrel, AMG & etc??

thanks 

I would pick the AMG over the Kestrel. I own Kestrels Ballistic Calculators, I just think they added too many bells and whistles to their timer.   The Pocket Pro II is great for simplicity, for complex go with the AMG.

AMG is a fantastic training tool In conjunction with the PractiScore apps. The unit has a very small learning curve and the batteries (AAA) last quite a long time. Although, 8 + weeks is a long lead time. I waited 6 weeks for mine and was well worth it. But I still have my Pocket Pro II as a back up. 

The kestrel is 299? That’s double the cost of an amg and the go button is on the front with other buttons I don’t like that. 

amg

pocket pro

ced

my least favorite is the pact timer. I didn’t like the responsiveness of the button or the size of the unit. 

it’s very tough to beat the amg right now

Also depends what you want from your timer.

When running matches, connection with PractiScore is a big plus now.

When practicing, keeping a log or a journal of your runs is also a big plus. Even better if you can get that linked with videos of your runs and could compare them side by side after... There is an app for that and it works with several timers.

https://community.practiscore.com/t/practiscore-log-app-info/215

If timer does not have Bluetooth connectivity now, it is a rather outdated product.

really like my ced 7000 that i bought as they worked great running shooters at various matches.  just very simple and intuitive, easy to read and use, easy to set par times, review shot history.  compact form factor but good size controls; rechargeable battery lasts more than several matches.

On 9/25/2022 at 8:50 PM, euxx said:

If timer does not have Bluetooth connectivity now, it is a rather outdated product.

I really disagree with this.  I use my Pocket Pro II a lot for dry fire and practice sessions.  Simple and easy to use.  

10 hours ago, Stuey said:

I really disagree with this.  I use my Pocket Pro II a lot for dry fire and practice sessions.  Simple and easy to use.  

Which does not make it not outdated, and even manufacturer's website says that timer model "retired".

Besides, there is a BT version of the ProTimer from the same manufacturer.

BTW, the "simple and easy to use" argument is kinda the same for most if not for all timers on the market.

Between Pocket Pro, CED7000 and AMG which one is the most difficult to use?

14 hours ago, mule169 said:

https://www.ipscstore.com/en/shot-timers/11639-amg-lab-commander-shot-timer.html#/4-color-blue

IPSC store has AMG timers ready to ship and go, it’s about $100 more than MFG but no long wait times! So if it’s worth it for you to pay the extra, this is the way.

Not according to the website. No longer available. I ordered mine direct during a time that I don’t need it.  I can wait. 

Edited by Farmer

7 hours ago, Farmer said:

Not according to the website. No longer available. I ordered mine direct during a time that I don’t need it.  I can wait. 

Man they sold out quick! I would check back and back again, they’re the only store that I see continuously in stock for anyone that wants it “NOW”.

On 9/27/2022 at 9:35 AM, euxx said:

Between Pocket Pro, CED7000 and AMG which one is the most difficult to use?

That's easy.  The original Pocket Pro is the easiest to use because it is so simple and straight forward.  It doesn't do much.  The Pocket Pro 2 and BT give you more info.  The AMG is as easy to use it all you want is basic timer functions.  If you delve deeper there is a small learning curve.  Of the three timers mentioned, it is the only one that will pick up a PCC shot without requiring you climb up the shooters but.

I dislike the CED7000.  It doesn't give you enough information .  The sensitivity cannot be adjusted to capture rimfire and PCC without giving false positives on echoes.  High pit walls are great for range safety, but not for the CED7000.

Most of you described has nothing to do with being easy to use...

Personally I don't find any timer difficult to use at all. However not all of them perform at the same level, eg. catching echo or false positives.

PS: setting par times on CE ProTimer is kinda pain in the butt, not sure if Pocket Pro uses the same interface. It is much simpler in amg, m1a5, ruready or ced.

PPS: with Bluetooth you might get an option to set it the same way using the app, regardless of the device.

8 hours ago, rishii said:

The pact club timer III is a good Basic simple timer, big display, easy to use to review your split and transition times, easy to set par times

the pocket pro Bluetooth has a hit factor calculator built into the app

Let's put that in prospective. How big is the "big display" on pact club? Also, how many button clicks does it take to set/change par times on club pack timer?

Also, here are some side by side comparisons of the timer's screens.
Don't have CED7000, RUready and Pact handy, but in my recollection size of the time is about half the size of AMG.

screens.jpg.1fd801bff3f097d752cb3a2eb1481c3f.jpg

PXL_20210714_132154146.jpg.b64877b637a1b

And regarding Bluetooth... You can do things like this with it:
https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/298342-best-android-tablet-for-practiscore-log/?do=findComment&comment=3299026

EK

Pocket Pro for simplicity with adequate features.

AMG  for a club timer.  One touch to transfer time to tablet.  Awesome.

Cheap---"IPSC Shot Timer" App.    I've parked my old CED 6000 and use

the free phone app on my Samsung Android phone for dry fire and drills now. 

Surprised at how well it works.  

I have had and used a lot of different timers over the years. One week after I got my first AMG, I gathered up all of my old timers and sold every one of them. I own 6 AMG timers now and use them to run matches. They work perfectly and the batteries last forever. I have even tested it with a .22 suppressed rifle running Standard Velocity ammo and it worked perfectly. Alex builds a great timer!

• 2 weeks later...

Another vote for Pocket Pro as its been bulletproof for me - but as noted, its fairly simple. If looking for something with more features, def check out the Shooters Global Smart Timer - used one once, and it was pretty slick

On 9/25/2022 at 12:47 AM, oddjob said:

I want to get a timer.  I tried the search function and really got confused as to a really good one.  Electronics development advances fast and thats what confuses me.  Its for my son to use for training/shooting/dryfire maybe?  He wants more features than a basic timer with par time capabilities.  Which timer would you get?  Kestrel, AMG & etc??

thanks 

When I got into pistol competition many years ago, I bought a PACT timer. It is simple to use and has the info I'm looking for without being complicated. It has the ability to adjust for sensitivity but I don't know how well it would work with your situation.

17 hours ago, tre923 said:

When I got into pistol competition many years ago, I bought a PACT timer...

When I got into pistol competition many years ago I've got RUReady timer. It is stupid simple and still works... and manufacturer hasn't updated it for over two decades. The PACT and a few other popular timers kinda in the same category of outdated electronics, which doesn't make them the best timers now.

In the last few years, several manufacturers made advancements that changed the sport of practical shooting and we can see more data both from competitions and in practice. Those newer devices make match results more detailed and accurate and also can help you to save time and get more data from your practice.

image.thumb.png.2bb998a917d33b3ee71fd1982adc8bf6.png  image.thumb.png.ec0eb11b6cf92dc23b40f051d22a5b46.png image.png.7773fe95522b039bc7638bce2aec7845.png   image.png.21f1f29c7b3d5ea51f726527f5e30d36.png

Edited by euxx