Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Left handed 2011 curiosity

Dutchman195

My two cents for what it is worth; years ago I set my Limited gun up with a Mitchell mag release so I could use my right index finger rather than my thumb for mag changes. Was shooting a match on Long Island, was C class at the time but was shooting an A class match. I had smoked the match and was on the last stage, (had some M and GM shooters watching) had one reload before last 5 rounds. Hit the mag button but my finger either slid off or was too close to the trigger after the reload; had an AD. The M and GM shooters argued that the round clearly went forward into the berm, however, I knew that the gun went off without me consciously pressing the trigger. I accepted the DQ without protest. Really sucked, but right call. First thin I did when I got home was remove the the mag release and change back to a conventional thumb mag release. I also have a checkered insert on the side of my frame to rest my index finger when I make a reload. Just one man’s experience. 

I use the left hand middle finger, requires less contorting for me, and I never need to care if a gun is "set up" for left handed shooters when I shoot or purchase.

As stated, less contorting in general for us left handed shooters this way 

I use my left index finger i don't run a oversized button because the way I grip the pistol i kept dropping mags. Lefties with small hands can use their right index finger before they come off the grip 

On 8/20/2022 at 3:41 PM, cbrussell said:

My two cents for what it is worth; years ago I set my Limited gun up with a Mitchell mag release so I could use my right index finger rather than my thumb for mag changes. Was shooting a match on Long Island, was C class at the time but was shooting an A class match. I had smoked the match and was on the last stage, (had some M and GM shooters watching) had one reload before last 5 rounds. Hit the mag button but my finger either slid off or was too close to the trigger after the reload; had an AD. The M and GM shooters argued that the round clearly went forward into the berm, however, I knew that the gun went off without me consciously pressing the trigger. I accepted the DQ without protest. Really sucked, but right call. First thin I did when I got home was remove the the mag release and change back to a conventional thumb mag release. I also have a checkered insert on the side of my frame to rest my index finger when I make a reload. Just one man’s experience. 

Any change you still have that mag release and want to sell it?

So I'm actually the opposite. I'm right handed, but prefer my magazine release on the right hand side of the gun. SVI installed a left handed mag release on my gun so I know they make one. I have small hands and hate breaking my grip to reach the mag release so I prefer using my shooting hand middle finger to hit my release instead. 

I just bought a couple right side mag releases from this thread (thanks been looking forever) only used the 1911 one so far. It’s a smith and Alexander it works great but I did have to dremmel the frame a little bit to get it to fit which was slightly scary. I have another Mitchell 2011 one I’ll hold on to until I get a 2011. For me I have too many other handguns that have the mag release in the right side to learn to use my index finger on one platform. Honestly if I didn’t find one soon I probably would have sold the 1911 but now it’s in my forever lineup.