Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Please critique

jubi351

Somewhat new to open and still getting things ironed out. Thanks to some of our members who I have reached out to for advice on getting to where I am. So I would like some opinions on how the gun looks in recoil. I see these videos of people shooting a Chaos or Honcho or Infinity and how flat the gun runs. Big difference is those guns have poppels and I don't. I am currently running 9.8gr of SWMP with 124 for 171-172pf. Max my comp will handle is about 10.2gr I am also experimenting with a 22lb mainspring and 8lb recoil currently as suggested. What I noticed is in this configuration the gun does not dip as much as it did with the 17lb main and 7lb recoil. Main thing I'm pondering is is it worth a  rebarrel to have poppels, will it make that big of difference from where I'm currently at?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ipJNzmYZE168v8rMA

Honchos don't have popple holes.

Your Gun looks fine. Even with a comp, you still need to have your grip squared away. Comparing to other people with other guns involves too many variables.

Edited by lroy

I appreciate the feedback. One of the other factors is that I was trying to shoot 115s, so more powder for more gas but the gun as is can't make PF with that powder so poppels would be required. Cheaper to work on me anyway.🫡

11 hours ago, jubi351 said:

so more powder for more gas but the gun as is can't make PF with that powder so poppels would be required.

Just the opposite.  Popples will reduce your PF by about 4-5 PF.  They will also make your gun shoot flatter at the expense of a harder hit to your hand.  When you increase the powder charge to compensate, you get some of that softness back.

My main gun has two 3/16" poppels in a V2 config.  My backup has three 5/32" poppels.  They are equivalent.  9.6 SWMP under a 124 makes 170 PF.  10.2 under a 115 makes 169.  I've gone as high as 10.8 under a 115 with almost nothing existing the front of the comp.  Poppels are easy to all.  Mill a slot in the slide and bore poppels in the opening.

I'm curious about your spring settings.  Your gun returns to zero, so they obviously work.  I got the same results with a 17 lb. mainspring, 10 lb. recoil spring and a standard Open radius on the Cheely firing pin stop.

My suggestion is to add poppels and up the powder charge.

22 ms is extremely to heavy. 17 will set off anything. An usa primers a 15 will work spp. some guys i know clip coils on ms. I dont but if stuff is fitted correctly with firing controls it can be done. I run 17 ms an 8 lb recoil with 5 coils cut on a middy with two popples. I cant load your picture but i

love 115 jhp with aa7 make major at 10.4. Powder your using is about same burn rate as aa7 

I'd go with a 17 mainspring.  It looks like it's that initial hit that is probaly making it seem like you have more recoil or dot movement than you think you should have.  Big Panda had a good video discussing the tuning he did on his guns and spring rates.  I would start there.

5 hours ago, zzt said:

Just the opposite.  Popples will reduce your PF by about 4-5 PF.  .

Correct, let me back up and say I can make power factor(170) but a ton of gas is coming out the front of the comp with my current powder.

5 hours ago, 36873687 said:

22 ms is extremely to heavy. 17 will set off anything. Powder your using is about same burn rate as aa7 

The MS wasn't due to a primer issue and the trigger is only 1.5lb, just very crisp break. I recently got some AA7 which I believe is a little faster powder and will be trying it. The current lot of SWMP I have is the well documented medium rate so its a bit slower than the normal. 

5 hours ago, APL-G35 said:

Big Panda had a good video discussing the tuning he did on his guns and spring rates. 

Yes. Kind of following his advice though not directed at me personally.

4 hours ago, yigal said:

22 MS 🙉🙉🙉 

why not 40  😉

toomuch.JPG.041f010f401f0bdca8df189d4e1b3a41.JPG

Thank you all for your input, definitely a different animal than my CO Tanfo. I will keep this updated with my progress.

18 minutes ago, jubi351 said:

Correct, let me back up and say I can make power factor(170) but a ton of gas is coming out the front of the comp with my current powder.

Your comp is not very efficient.  Add two 3/16" or three 5/32" poppels and see what happens.  It will make the gun flatter AND softer, because no or not as much gas will be jetting out the front.

AA7 is only a little faster that the medium lot of SWMP you currently have.  You want a lot of gas to work the poppels and comp.  I'd try your current load after you put the poppels in.  If you still get appreciable gas jetting out the front, go to a faster powder.  If not, add a little more of the SWMP until you see more than a smattering of debris on a white no-shoot when you fire at it from an inch away.  Then back off .1~.2gr and call it a day.

First comp'd gun so no experience with more or less efficient designs but it took 10.8gr to make 170PF with a 115 bullet(w/ my slow powder). Anything over 10.2 gas starts jetting out the front.

Will be working up a load next week with AA7 to see the difference.

From my experience with BUL Armory barrels is they are a little slower then say KKM. At least the 3 I have are. None are comped though. As far as I can tell from the vid return to zero is fine, but you dip the gun and then bring it back up to zero. Are you running a thumb rest? If you are take it off and redo the test. I'll all but guarantee the gun doesn't dip anymore. 

As far as needing a 22lb MS.... I highly doubt that gun needs it. Put the factory one back in. Swap the firing pin for an extended one. All 3 of my BUL pistols have factory trigger parts with Cheely extended firing pins and set off any primers I want to use. Even CCI small rifle magnum primers. 

I don't know what OAL you are using but I know mine all needed the chambers finish reamed/throated to run anything longer then factory 9mm. 

I just put a Toni mount on it today to experiment with no thumb rest, as a suggestion. Bul was integrated.

I have a Dawson extended firing pin in the gun currently. The 22 MS is more for recoil mitigation not so much for ignition, also suggestion.

I have experimented with 115 and 124 Berry's HBRN and have no problem loading out to over 1.18, currently at 1.16.

All being said I will still be experimenting with more springs to tune it. I won my local match this weekend, HOA, a first for me so the gun is working. I noticed I shot slower than I would like to for follow ups as opposed to just railing on targets that were 10yds and in but it worked. Thank you for the suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2022 at 8:22 PM, jubi351 said:

Somewhat new to open and still getting things ironed out. Thanks to some of our members who I have reached out to for advice on getting to where I am. So I would like some opinions on how the gun looks in recoil. I see these videos of people shooting a Chaos or Honcho or Infinity and how flat the gun runs. Big difference is those guns have poppels and I don't. I am currently running 9.8gr of SWMP with 124 for 171-172pf. Max my comp will handle is about 10.2gr I am also experimenting with a 22lb mainspring and 8lb recoil currently as suggested. What I noticed is in this configuration the gun does not dip as much as it did with the 17lb main and 7lb recoil. Main thing I'm pondering is is it worth a  rebarrel to have poppels, will it make that big of difference from where I'm currently at?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ipJNzmYZE168v8rMA

The Honcho does not have barrel Popples. It's a dual port comp for 9 major and 38 SC, a single port comp for minor. 

On 8/4/2022 at 8:53 PM, lroy said:

Honchos don't have popple holes.

Your Gun looks fine. Even with a comp, you still need to have your grip squared away. Comparing to other people with other guns involves too many variables.

I know of one Honcho with popple holes

Just a little update. After this post I won high overall for the first time at my local match so definitely a plus there. Several people had mentioned taking off the thumb rest so I gave it a try for the last two matches and noticed a huge increase in charlies compared to the last couple with. Went from avg. of 92% to 87% of points. Even though it appears that the gun isn't moving around from video I will be putting a thumb rest back on. I also tried some SWMP batch 514(fastest lot) with 115s. I am able to run 10.4gr(170PF) with no excess gas out of the barrel per the no shoot test vs the slower batch(115) where I could only run 10.2 and couldn't make PF. Have to work the next two weekends so no more locals and then it is Tenn State and NC State matches so little to no training other than dryfire and chrono.

Edited by jubi351

13 hours ago, shred said:

Drilling holes in my barrel only dropped about 1 pf, but they're only 2 of them around 0.100" dia as they are TJ holes.

TJ holes, not familiar could you explain?

On 8/29/2022 at 7:18 AM, jubi351 said:

TJ holes, not familiar could you explain?

Todd Jarrett's barrel hole design.  Smaller and slightly differently-placed than Brazos 'poppleholes', which were named after Brazos Team shooter Adam Popplewell.

There were many different patterns of barrel holes with different names 20 years ago, although it seems now everyone calls them poppleholes no matter what the size shape and placement.

Interesting. I had no idea where the name came from. On my open guns I’ve tried everything from no holes to all the holes (v12 tanfo). Even cool big square holes in my infinity. At the end I now like 3 holes in a line at 12 o’clock about 3/16 in size and a decent comp. The v12 was the flattest and fastest shooting gun Ive had but it was obnoxious and I needed 10.4gn of 3n38 behind a 124 in super to make 165-170pf (open major is 160 in IPSC). The flames were great, but the thing just broke s#!t all the time. 

the holes is personal preference. If you want start with 2 x 3/16 then add a third if you want to. Guns without holes feel softer to me but I prefer a harder push back and a flatter gun. And then there’s debate on drilling the holes straight or angled back or forward and how many degrees. Lol

dont forget the primary purpose of a comp is actually to delay unlocking of the barrel. Not so much to keep the gun flat. It’s gas hitting the baffle walls effectively pushing the barrel forward to delay the unlocking process which means pressure drops before unlocking which makes the gun feel softer. Holes are for solely for flatness. 

10463175-111B-4707-8227-3FC0F38771CE.jpeg

64DBB3AF-F1EC-4436-8810-472651645F94.jpeg