Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Timney striker and connector

Raz22582

I haven't seen this but I have always honed my own connectors and strikers.  If I was building from scratch and didn't have anything I might consider paying someone to do that polishing for me however.

14 hours ago, epault said:

Will this stop the striker drag/light strike issues? 

I have the standard Timney trigger kit in my G19 G3 and am using the standard striker spring. have run over 400 rounds through it with no light strike issues.

I ordered them just to try them out. The trigger is lighter but the reset is not as pronounced.

I went to the range today to try it out but I got 10 rounds and the trigger failed to reset on 3 of those 10 rounds so I don't know if it's their striker or connector but for me I don't really consider it a win. I know I should have maybe done more testing but the gun was 100% before and some dude kept bugging me the whole time I was there so I kind of didn't want to stick around at that point.

A friend ordered a couple.  This is his initial impressions

Timney striker and connecter came in today. 

I installed it in my "worst" timney. 

IDPA CO 17. Was gritty and breaking at 3lbs on my scale. 

Just the connecter took it to 2.5lbs and smoothed it out. Striker brought it to 2 1/8lbs and soooo smoooooooth.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a timney trigger in two different gen 5 g17 guns. A pre order era one and one from last week. (They are sending me a c clip and a red spring to bring the early model current)

Both guns have the TTI gm spring and connector kit in them. I really like how they feel and am interested of just polishing my own striker would yield the same as their finished product.

Mine kit came in on Thursday.  The overall pull weight came down 3/4 lbs. or so to 2 3/4 lbs.  The pull weight from reset is les than a pound.  This is in a 34.5.  With the red trigger spring the reset is better, but not as good as my 17.3 or the factory parts in the 34.5.  I'm shooting rimfire in tomorrow SCSA match, so I only ran 100 rounds thru it Friday, but I like it a lot. 

I should have bought two.  I think the Gen 3 gun's trigger would be incredible with the new striker and connector.

On 6/26/2022 at 4:24 PM, sx2gl35 said:

Doubt it, but cleaning your striker channel and using the appropriate spring might help.  Not aware of any of those issues.

The Timney light strike issue has nothing to do with a dirty channel or spring. 

The Timney throws the timing off in some guns and the firing pin block isn’t getting depressed fully when the striker drops. 

This typically manifests when you have to “tune” the Timney trigger bar to drop the striker before bottoming out on the frame (many threads about this here). 

I have experienced this personally and was able to completely eliminate the issue by removing the firing pin block during testing. 

I suspect this “upgrade kit” is a means to resolve the issues with the guns that don’t reliably drop the striker before the trigger bar bottoms out on the frame. Probably a few thousandths shorter engagement area…

Dear Dirt, thank you for identifying a specific issue and the cure for it.  The only issue I have ever had was an out-of-spec trigger bar and Timney made it right almost instantly.  Mine are all Gen 3 34 and 35 CO guns and run strong and long.

I put the striker and connector in my 17.4.

Made it very smooth during dry fire.  This particular gun had a stock striker and ghost connector.  It also had trouble resetting after getting dirty from about 50 rounds.  So hopefully the new timney connector and striker fixes it.  

Have another glock a 17.3 that does the same thing as the 17.4.  Removed the timney Alpha and put in the JG kit.

Two other glocks(19.3 and GST-9 build are perfect with the Alpha) 

So I'm 50/50 with the Timney Alpha.

Hopefully the new striker and connector can fix the reset issue.

I have four of the alphas for my gen 3’s. One worked flawlessly in all my OEM stock guns and frames, including two with aftermarket slides.  Unfortunately, that trigger died when the factory trigger pin snapped, taking the collar on the trigger with it.  NP, I thought, I have three more. No dice: one won’t release the striker in any frame or slide, another only some of the time, and the third is very heavy. That was with all factory parts except the two after market top ends. 

I’m back to using  a Vanek GM set up until I hear back from Timney or I work up the nerve to start tweaking the Timney trigger bars or the tangs on the strikers.

I have a few Timney triggers in Gen5s and Gen 3/4s. Some are great, some have had some consistency issues and striker lug drag. I thought ,hey they must have addressed that with the Striker/connector kit.

So on my Gen5 - which had reset issues, but i went to a OEM- connector that made it better. not perfect, but better.....so I drop the new Timney connector and striker in this one. And it's unusable. Trigger all the way full travel, no striker release. If you put another oh...10lbs of pressure on it, it'll release. So I reach out to Timney - they said to send them all back.

This is a direct quote " I would recommend sending us back the Upgrade kit for a refund at this time. We are re-designing our testing processes for those kits and right now that is the best option. I will send you an RMA for the return if you would like."

These aren't ready. So they sent me an RMA for all 3 kits. 

Yeah, it's not ideal. I do have better things to do than breaking down guns putting in and pulling out kits on a whim, but other than that minor inconvenience - s#!t happens. Everyone has issues at some point. As long as they address them and don't leave me / us / customers holding bag, I can live with it.

3 minutes ago, OptimiStick said:

Yeah, it's not ideal. I do have better things to do than breaking down guns putting in and pulling out kits on a whim, but other than that minor inconvenience - s#!t happens. Everyone has issues at some point. As long as they address them and don't leave me / us / customers holding bag, I can live with it.

Yeah. But it’s unfortunately one of many follies as of late. They had to pull their CZ Scorpion trigger and re-launch it very recently as well. Sounds like it’s time to clean house on the engineering team… or just stick to AR’s.