Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hwanski Kim's Nationals video, I got questions

RJH

So I watched Kim's Nationals video from 2021 carryops, after the first few stages it looked as though as SRO was covered up, and I'm wondering why he would do that. It looks as though there is tape on the target side of the sight, so he would still be able to see his DOT, but I'm wondering why he would think it was advantageous to have tape covering the targets he's looking at. Later in the video there's a little part where you unloads and shows clear and you can see the tape for sure on the front of the side. So anyone got any information on this? It's definitely made me curious

Edited by RJH

So after I posted this I thought maybe I should read the comments on the video, apparently he did it because of a bad glare causing dot issues on day three. Interesting nonetheless

1 hour ago, RJH said:

So after I posted this I thought maybe I should read the comments on the video, apparently he did it because of a bad glare causing dot issues on day three. Interesting nonetheless

Yep. The bays at CMP face East and West. So depending on whether he was AM or PM on a specific rotation could certainly have a glare problem. Especially early/late when the sun is low. 

This prevents a double dot when the SRO is pointed directly into the sun.

He talked about this in the Stoeger Podcast and that he would not hesitate to cover up the dot if the sun became an issue.  About two to three weeks before Nats he talked about choosing the SRO for his optic even though it does have a double dot issue when pointed into the sun.  He chose the SRO because its the only dot he did not ever have issues with.  

Trainers will use the tape over the glass to get students to truly understand what target focus really is.  If the glass is covered with tape you have no choice but to shoot target focused.  Tape on the glass has been discussed on a couple of threads on the board.

I switched to the Sig Romeo 3 Optics for this very reason.  I still have SROs, but didn't like the double dot issue.  They are now offset optics on my rifles.  

Edited by Boomstick303

37 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

This prevents a double dot when the SRO is pointed directly into the sun.

He talked about this in the Stoeger Podcast and that he would not hesitate to cover up the dot if the sun became an issue.  About two to three weeks before Nats he talked about choosing the SRO for his optic even though it does have a double dot issue when pointed into the sun.  He chose the SRO because its the only dot he did not ever have issues with.  

Trainers will use the tape over the glass to get students to truly understand what target focus really is.  If the glass is covered with tape you have no choice but to shoot target focused.  Tape on the glass has been discussed on a couple of threads on the board.

I switched to the Sig Romeo 3 Optics for this very reason.  I still have SROs, but didn't like the double dot issue.  They are now offset optics on my rifles.  

Yeah, I heard about the tape for training, but had never seen it in a match before. I don't watch too much of stoeger, so I was out of the loop lol 

Thanks for the input, I didn't know some of that stuff 👍🏻

Edited by RJH

This forum had users that encouraged the use of tape for shooting in Frostproof to rewove sun glare when you get morning or afternoon stages in those directions.  Having shot there, I understand why.

I tried the tape thing, was okay,  Have some local shooters that use it for every match shooting CO.  Didn't work well for me, shots were going slightly left all the time.

i tape my dot for practice to help me get used to shooting more target-focused, although i can still focus on the dot with one eye, lol.

I also do it in matches anytime glare is a problem. Not usually at my local range, but the next most local range it's pretty common to need it.

On 11/4/2021 at 3:56 AM, RJH said:

I had no idea shooting matches with tape on the dot was this common. Wonder why I have never seen it in open? Is this just a carry ops thing and if so why? 

I only shoot open. In my side of pond Im a rarity. And my tape on the lens is black electrical tape so not noticeable. And if the Shooters and ROs are not aware of it, it usually go unnoticed. Nothing special about it that merits others’ attention though. 

On 11/3/2021 at 2:56 PM, RJH said:

I had no idea shooting matches with tape on the dot was this common. Wonder why I have never seen it in open? Is this just a carry ops thing and if so why? 

Younger shooters have a more questioning attitude? Younger shooters have forgotten the old occluded sights?

Taping over the front of the dot was an Open trick even back when we shot tube scopes.  Then it was just for training target focus because double-dots weren't a thing unless you scrubbed all the black off the brass plate over your C-more dot.

Watch out if you do it a lot because you can get hosed on hard leans and when you have to shoot through 'picket fence' type obstacles.  Both eyes have to be able to see the target for a taped-over dot to work.

8 hours ago, shred said:

Watch out if you do it a lot because you can get hosed on hard leans and when you have to shoot through 'picket fence' type obstacles.  Both eyes have to be able to see the target for a taped-over dot to work.

wait, wut? that doesn't even make sense. the tape already obscures my right eye's view of the target. just to be sure I tested it in my dryfire room and having the target hidden from right eye made no difference whatsoever.

haha, never mind.

Edited by motosapiens

1 hour ago, motosapiens said:

wait, wut? that doesn't even make sense. the tape already obscures my right eye's view of the target. just to be sure I tested it in my dryfire room and having the target hidden from right eye made no difference whatsoever.

I think he means if your line of site with the left eye is obstructed, you are shooting blind

6 hours ago, Jeremyc_1999 said:

I think he means if your line of site with the left eye is obstructed, you are shooting blind

haha. oops. in the middle of the night it occurred to me that it isn't my eye being obstructed that is the problem, it's the gun being obstructed, so I would be shooting through the hardcover. Of course it wouldn't even show up in dryfire. 

7 hours ago, motosapiens said:

haha. oops. in the middle of the night it occurred to me that it isn't my eye being obstructed that is the problem, it's the gun being obstructed, so I would be shooting through the hardcover. Of course it wouldn't even show up in dryfire. 

I worded that weird. Try setting it up dryfire with a doorframe or pole or something where your non-dot eye is blocked from seeing the target, but it is visible through the lens if it's not taped. 

Although rare, I think that one is sneakier than the blocked-muzzle case which is always there to some extent due to dot offset.  

I have a question, Can you tape the dot for a stage or do you have to shoot the whole match with a taped dot? In my mind this would be similar to switching guns with a different sight set up for a different stage.  Do you need to get the Range Master's approval when taping the dot much like you would switching guns? 

4 hours ago, Jeremyc_1999 said:

I have a question, Can you tape the dot for a stage or do you have to shoot the whole match with a taped dot? In my mind this would be similar to switching guns with a different sight set up for a different stage.  Do you need to get the Range Master's approval when taping the dot much like you would switching guns? 

i would consider it a sunshade.