Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hwanski Kim's Nationals video, I got questions

RJH

7 hours ago, Jeremyc_1999 said:

I have a question, Can you tape the dot for a stage or do you have to shoot the whole match with a taped dot? In my mind this would be similar to switching guns with a different sight set up for a different stage.  Do you need to get the Range Master's approval when taping the dot much like you would switching guns?

5.1.8:  A competitor who substitutes or significantly modifies a firearm during a match without the prior approval of the Range Master will be subject to the provisions of Section 10.6. Significantly modifying includes adding or removing items such as flashlights, bipods, telescopes, foregrips, or grip panels, etc. These may be removed or added prior to the Make Ready command on the first stage of a match, but must remain in that configuration for all other stages of the match. Scope covers, tape, dust covers and bungee cords are exempt from this requirement.

2 hours ago, Southpaw said:

5.1.8:  A competitor who substitutes or significantly modifies a firearm during a match without the prior approval of the Range Master will be subject to the provisions of Section 10.6. Significantly modifying includes adding or removing items such as flashlights, bipods, telescopes, foregrips, or grip panels, etc. These may be removed or added prior to the Make Ready command on the first stage of a match, but must remain in that configuration for all other stages of the match. Scope covers, tape, dust covers and bungee cords are exempt from this requirement.

Thanks. I guess I should have looked it up. I didn’t remember tape being listed when I previously read it

34 minutes ago, Jeremyc_1999 said:

Thanks. I guess I should have looked it up. I didn’t remember tape being listed when I previously read it

I had the same thought as you did when I saw this thread earlier in the week.  When I looked up rule I also didn't remember seeing the tape part before.  I just checked and it's newly added, wasn't in the 2020 rulebook.

8 hours ago, Southpaw said:

I had the same thought as you did when I saw this thread earlier in the week.  When I looked up rule I also didn't remember seeing the tape part before.  I just checked and it's newly added, wasn't in the 2020 rulebook.

Well that makes me feel a bit better 

a few years ago there was some mild controversy at a section match I worked about shooter using a crude cardboard sunshade for a stage looking into the sun. As far as I'm concerned, it covers the scope, so it's a scope cover of some sort, but I'm glad to see the word 'tape' in the rules just to keep those people at bay who creatively look for ways to screw shooters over.

On 11/6/2021 at 2:11 PM, Jeremyc_1999 said:

I have a question, Can you tape the dot for a stage or do you have to shoot the whole match with a taped dot? In my mind this would be similar to switching guns with a different sight set up for a different stage.  Do you need to get the Range Master's approval when taping the dot much like you would switching guns? 

It's not a different sight.  You can tape over it and remove it at will.  You don't need RM's permission to do any of it.

You haven't changed the sight on the gun, you haven't changed the gun, you haven't even changed how the sight works.

2 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

It's not a different sight.  You can tape over it and remove it at will.  You don't need RM's permission to do any of it.

You haven't changed the sight on the gun, you haven't changed the gun, you haven't even changed how the sight works.

Troy addressed this on the thread about how to deal with glare at Frostproof.  No problem with it.

Some chrono folks are not fan of it as they've shot chrono's since they were not familiar enough with it and were not given permission by the shooter to remove the tape.  

15 minutes ago, vluc said:

Troy addressed this on the thread about how to deal with glare at Frostproof.  No problem with it.

Some chrono folks are not fan of it as they've shot chrono's since they were not familiar enough with it and were not given permission by the shooter to remove the tape.  

Yes, but even absent that I would have ruled no violation just using what I know about how a reflex sight works and what the tape does.

Edited by SGT_Schultz