Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many 9mm cases in your case feeder???

Cuz

I have a pretty new RL-1100 with a variable speed case feeder. If I put more than 300 or so 9mm cases in it the case feed plate bogs down and won’t spin. If I remove some cases to get it down around 250 it starts to work fine. I really thought I’d be able to dump 500+ cases in it, but that is NOT happening!  Is this normal?

How many 9mm cases are you able to dump into your case feeder and have it function correctly?

Thanks,

Cuz. 

Is the motor "bogging" down ? Or is the clutch slipping on the feeder plate?

Normally run 400 -500 when loading. Have fun a lot more . A 1000ish the plate clutch

Will start to slip.

Edited by AHI

I have the variable speed case feeder also. Mine was new approximately Dec, 2019. Has had the motor replaced once.

Mine behaves similarly to yours. Somewhere north of 200/250 cases and it stops. Sometimes if I push the plate back in the reverse direction slightly it will recover. 

I've never come close to getting it to work with 500 cases.

I don't know if that is a clutch problem or not; never bothered to look into it; just try to keep the cases at approx 200 or thereabouts...

9 hours ago, AHI said:

Is the motor "bogging" down ? Or is the clutch slipping on the feeder plate?

Normally run 400 -500 when loading. Have fun a lot more . A 1000ish the plate clutch

Will start to slip.

I’m not really sure how to tell. It seems like everything just comes to a stop. I can manually “help” the feeder plate along, but it won’t go on its own. It just seems like the motor isn’t strong enough to spin the plate with more than 300 cases in the bin. 

8 hours ago, Miranda said:

yep. tighten clutch.   at 400 to 800 an hour,

I think 400 is the minimum the feeder should be able to feed.

I counted out 500 9mm cases and tightened the clutch to that.

miranda

I guess I’ll have to pull out the manual and figure out how to do that. 

9 hours ago, SnipTheDog said:

Dillon has a newer case feed motor:  https://www.dillonprecision.com/casefeeder-variable-speed-motor-upgrade-kit_8_6_26744.html

I haven't tried the upgrade yet, but my case feeders will bog down at around 100 cases or so.

That’s the same motor in the the new variable speed casefeeder that comes with the RL1100. If you have the dual speed motor, then this is a good upgrade.

@Cuz, After tightening the clutch a little bit, I am able to put 500 cases of .223 without any problems when I do my processing. Just make sure you don’t tighten it to much so you don’t burn the motor. Once this motor dies, I’ll install one of my spare brushless motors (for my RC buggies) and see if it’ll work.

If there’s anyone willing to donate their old casefeeder motor board and wiring, I can rig it with the brushless motor and see if it’ll work.  Brushless motors have more torque compared to the puny 540 and 550-sized Mabuchi brushed motor currently being used in the casefeeders.

Edited by George16
Spelling

1 hour ago, Cuz said:

I guess I’ll have to pull out the manual and figure out how to do that. 

From the case feeder manual:

The two socket-head machine screws (#13732) should be just tight enough for the clutch to drive the casefeed plate under a normal load of brass. To check this, place the casefeed assembly in front of you on the bench. With the switch off, plug the casefeeder in. Turn the switch to on position and observe the movement of the plate. You should be able to cause the clutch to slip, using moderate finger pressure, without stalling the motor. Alternately tighten and loosen the two machine screws evenly, observing the effect on the holding power of the clutch. The correct setting will stall the plate before stalling the motor, yet not slip when the casefeed bowl is about half full of brass.
Note: The casefeed bowl is not designed to be completely filled with brass. If it is fully loaded it will not function reliably. The rated capacity of the casefeeder is about 1/2 of the bowl’s physical capacity.

I've only loaded a few 100,000 rounds, but I've never counted the cases.  I keep Brass in a 3# coffee can, I pour in a half can at a time.  When it starts to get low, and you can hear this, I pour in more.  The amount of brass is a level that is @1 1/2 inches below the clutch.   When you let the amount of brass run low you will encounter more anomalies, up side down cases, and the dreaded brass rain.  I tighten the clutch as needed.  When I pour in brass, I give it a shot of one shot, this keeps the reloading smooth and easy.   I clean the case feed when its dirty.

I just toss in a handful or two when the feeder starts sounding low on brass.   Doesn't take long. 

But I'm just puttering along, operating the machine manually.   

Edited by NETim

1 hour ago, CocoBolo said:

I've only loaded a few 100,000 rounds, but I've never counted the cases.  

Ah, a beginner eh??

Thanks, I think I will probably count out the amount I “think” is around 300 cases just to see how many it really is. The Dillon manual says to fill it up to halfway. I only put in half that much at most. 

Problem solved, thanks everyone.  All it took was about a 1/8 turn of both clutch bolts.  Now, I can dump in around 450 cases and it works fine.  Don't know how many more I can put in, but I don't care about that.  The bin I use to spray lube on my cases holds about 400-450 cases in a single layer.  Makes it easy to spray and roll them around to get coated, then after a minute or two I can dump them into the case feeder to start processing.  I wanted to be able to dump the whole bin in and not have to break it up into smaller amounts.  This basically equates to one "session" for me.  Then my arm gets a bit tired and I can take a break while getting the next batch ready.

9 hours ago, Cuz said:

Problem solved, thanks everyone.  All it took was about a 1/8 turn of both clutch bolts.  Now, I can dump in around 450 cases and it works fine.  Don't know how many more I can put in, but I don't care about that.  The bin I use to spray lube on my cases holds about 400-450 cases in a single layer.  Makes it easy to spray and roll them around to get coated, then after a minute or two I can dump them into the case feeder to start processing.  I wanted to be able to dump the whole bin in and not have to break it up into smaller amounts.  This basically equates to one "session" for me.  Then my arm gets a bit tired and I can take a break while getting the next batch ready.

So step 1 worked? You're welcome.

100 rounds.. but I just got this new case feeder and It jams so badly at the "plastic add-on" that seems to guide cases back that aren't in the slot.

Anyone have a solution?  looks like the 9mm case mouth at an angle hit the plastic corner and bind it up. 

2 hours ago, Momoz said:

100 rounds.. but I just got this new case feeder and It jams so badly at the "plastic add-on" that seems to guide cases back that aren't in the slot.

Anyone have a solution?  looks like the 9mm case mouth at an angle hit the plastic corner and bind it up. 

"Plastic add on" ?

Can you take a picture?

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/1/2021 at 9:51 AM, Cuz said:

Ah, a beginner eh??

Thanks, I think I will probably count out the amount I “think” is around 300 cases just to see how many it really is. The Dillon manual says to fill it up to halfway. I only put in half that much at most. 

Once you get the screws tightened up you can move on to solving the infamous brass rain!  Or maybe even the once in a thousand upside down case.  Both of these appear to be related to the "Case Count", if too few cases are in the hopper it rains more often and the number of upside down cases goes up.  Running on High rather than low seems to give the most reliable feeding.   9 mm is more problematic than 38 Super, that shorter case length is more prone to wedging in the funnel leading to the tube, then it rains.  If you listen while loading most problems can be detected early.