Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP-5 reviews/input

On 11/29/2022 at 12:04 PM, mrvip27 said:

Thanks for the input. Keep us updated on the Eley.

So I tried the Eley on the 60*.  It was about 17F before windchill so all I wanted was warm barrels.  

Eley 115grn PCC with 60*- I think this is my next ammo.  Shoots really well, locked the bolt back and felt really nice imo.

Eley 124grn PCC- shot like a slug with the 60*.  I felt like I could really outrun the 124 with the 60* and it would not lock the bolt back and I am not a fast shooter.  It would probably be really nice with a 70* cam but I didn't try it because it was cold outside. 

Eley competition pistol  in 115grn was really jumpy, punchy locked bolt back with 60*

124grn competition pistol was actually a little punchy bolt locked back with 60*

147grn competition pistol wasn't bad, it locked the bolt back but not consistently.

I only received 50 round boxes of each 115, 124 grn PCC and 115, 124 and 147 grn competition pistol.  

Edited by Stefan77
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone had extractor issues with their JP-5? My extractor isn’t holding tension after about 3500 rounds. It’s leaving the last round in the chamber on the unload and show clear. However it’s still extracting reliably during the stage.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2 minutes ago, Pyre602 said:

Has anyone had extractor issues with their JP-5? My extractor isn’t holding tension after about 3500 rounds. It’s leaving the last round in the chamber on the unload and show clear. However it’s still extracting reliably during the stage.

Remove the extractor spring and clean it. Carbon build up will prevent it from having full range of motion.

5 hours ago, Pyre602 said:

Are you case gauging your ammo and keeping the chamber clean? 

3500 rounds is a very low round count to have that happen.

23 minutes ago, RadarLuv said:

What does everyone think about the thermal dissapator on the barrel worth it or not? 

Worth it to you if you think it looks cool, or if you want added weight up front. A 9mm barely gets hot, so I don't think the thermal dissipation qualities are needed. 

On 12/26/2022 at 10:42 AM, Darqusoull13 said:

Are you case gauging your ammo and keeping the chamber clean? 

3500 rounds is a very low round count to have that happen.

Care to make a rec. on a 5 chamber cleaning tool?

Edited by OldRunner
1 hour ago, OldRunner said:

I've run a massive sev. hundred rounds of 115gr Blazer brass & Al thru mine w/ an 80* w/ out issues

Did you get any comp leading with the Blazer Brass?  CCI told me not to shoot it through a comp.  The 'plating' on the brass cased load was too thin.  The plating on the Al cased round is much thicker and is fine for a comp.

41 minutes ago, zzt said:

Did you get any comp leading with the Blazer Brass?  CCI told me not to shoot it through a comp.  The 'plating' on the brass cased load was too thin.  The plating on the Al cased round is much thicker and is fine for a comp.

Negative w/ the Blazer brass & had not heard that re. the plating being too thin.

10 hours ago, zzt said:

Dustin @ JP told me not to shoot plated bullets through a comp because the small pieces of plating will shred the comp

23 hours ago, GrumpyNO said:

Worth it to you if you think it looks cool, or if you want added weight up front. A 9mm barely gets hot, so I don't think the thermal dissipation qualities are needed. 

On a long stage with lots of targets, it wouldn't matter? Keeping the barrel cooler seems like a good thing, the weight is minimal surley it does something if JP suggest you get one.

4 minutes ago, RadarLuv said:

On a long stage with lots of targets, it wouldn't matter? Keeping the barrel cooler seems like a good thing, the weight is minimal surley it does something if JP suggest you get one.

A long course is 32 shots. No it would not matter. I'd argue it wouldn't matter on a 223 either. For a training session where you shoot a lot, maybe. Of course JP will recommend it, it makes them more money.

13 hours ago, Blackstone45 said:

Dustin @ JP told me not to shoot plated bullets through a comp because the small pieces of plating will shred the comp

I have been shooting plated bullets through the comp on my Lead Star Prime PCC since I bought it three years ago.  Absolutely no damage to the comp.  It is Aluminum, not steel or Ti.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2023 at 8:09 PM, k2pichu said:

What magwell do you guys use for your JP5? Are there any real differences between the Taylor Freelance one and the Techwell one?

Aluminum vs Acetyl Delrin.

I believe the TF is a bit more angled like the magazine angle to help better with reload angle.

Edited by mrvip27

Never used a magwell with all my other PCCs, but decided with the JP5 I'd give one a try.  I went with the Techwell Acetyl Delrin and the mags seem to almost load themselves.

That said, if you want AL, you can't go wrong with Taylor Freelance.  I have many of their products and they are first class.

20 minutes ago, BartCarter said:

Never used a magwell with all my other PCCs, but decided with the JP5 I'd give one a try.  I went with the Techwell Acetyl Delrin and the mags seem to almost load themselves.

That said, if you want AL, you can't go wrong with Taylor Freelance.  I have many of their products and they are first class.

Went Taylor & no regrets here but not much prior PCC experience however that's starting to change w/ the 5

My JP5 is around 5 lbs.  My GMR was closer to 7 lbs.  I prefer the lighter gun a lot more. 

I think the weight was a benefit in the GMR, I do not feel that way with the JP5.  I bought the Steel Challenge gun for USPSA (not Steel Challenge) and put the GMR stock, Giselle SD-3G trigger, Radian 45 degree safety on there and called it the day.  I prefer the new MLok hand guard that comes installed on the Steel Challenge version.  The thing is perfect.

On 1/9/2023 at 12:11 PM, BartCarter said:

I think the Acetyl Delrin is easier on the Glock Mag feed lips.  

There is nothing wrong with the TF magwell, but it was considerably scared up from the mags metal feed lips on my GMR.  That has to take a toll on the feed lips at some time and point.