Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Challenge Red Dot Shooters: What size moa are you running on your red dot?

JGus

I've shot USPSA for several years, and been shooting CO since it's inception. Probably going to get into Steel Challenge matches soon at a local range.  I'm running a DPP 7.5 moa in CO.  But on occasion when a stage has distant steel, it covers almost the entire target.  So I know 7.5 moa is too large for Steel Challenge.  I'm thinking 2.5 moa?

What are your thoughts on the optimal red dot moa for steel?

Thanks.

I run a DPP 2.5 on my RFRO and RFPO, SRO 5 MOA on my Open gun, and a 12 MOA Slideride on my PCC.  I bought an SRO intending to put on the RFRO, but decided to put it on my third Open gun instead.  If they ever become available again I'll put one on the RFRO.  I had to rob the DPP from another gun.

BTW, a 12 MOA dot doesn't come close to hiding any plate in SCSA steel challenge.  It allows you to run it at lower intensity and still pick it up subconsciously.   If I could I'd put one on the RFRO.  Unfortunately the dot would be way too high.

Generally speaking, bigger is better for SCSA.  I keep the 5 MOA SRO on the Open gun because it matches my two USPSA Open guns.  Everything is the same so I can move between them without having to adjust to anything.  FWIW, the dot on the SRO is rounder and a darker red than the other dots.  It works really well on steel.  Since it is smaller you have to crank it up a tad, but not so much it causes you to look at the dot.

Edited by zzt

2 hours ago, JGus said:

I've shot USPSA for several years, and been shooting CO since it's inception. Probably going to get into Steel Challenge matches soon at a local range.  I'm running a DPP 7.5 moa in CO.  But on occasion when a stage has distant steel, it covers almost the entire target.  So I know 7.5 moa is too large for Steel Challenge.  I'm thinking 2.5 moa?

What are your thoughts on the optimal red dot moa for steel?

Thanks.

7.5 covers 7.5 inches at 100 yards. So mathematically it cannot cover any plate in SC, not even close. Maybe your RDS is out of spec or too bright and is blooming?

Anyway I run a 6 on pistol and have a 12 for pcc and it works fine.

RFPO I run a CMORE 6 MOA. 

My revolvers are all set up with Sig Romeo 3 with a 3 MOA

Open auto is CMORE 8 MOA

I think it's more a function of what your eyes pick up best.

Edited by Dr. Phil

I've been running a 12 MOA  on my C-More Railway on both my Black Mamba and Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite for RFPO.  I can find the dot easier then when I was using my 6 MOA Vortex Venom although it too is  good dot.  

I've tried a 3 MOA but I can't always find it at speed.

the best shooters I know (world champions and top finishers at world and area matches) seem to like bigger dots for steel challenge than for uspsa. I'm only a GM in one division, so not nearly at that level, but I run c-more 6 or 8moa dots for steel. My co dot is deltapoint 2.5.moa and it's fine for everything except smoke and hope, where I struggled to pick up the dot in my peripheral vision at a2. i think the recoil and logger trigger pull causes me to shoot slightly slower with the co gun than with rimfire, and the slower you shoot, the easier it is to pick up a small dot. If I were starting from scratch on a centerfire gun, I'd probably get the romeo 3xl 6moa. In fact, I'm probably going to ditch the dpp for the romeo 3xl this winter anyway. Every time I pick up my wife's gun I'm like "dang, no wonder you beat me." (she is really good tho).

Good information everyone.  Thanks.  I've never shot steel challenge so I wasn't sure the size of the steel or the distance?  But based on the comments it seems as if my 7.5 moa on my DPP should work just fine.

I'm using the Holosun 510c on most of my guns.  I prefer the 2MOA dot.  It's bright, defined and I just like it better.  Have used 8MOA and 6MOA dots in the past.  For the the 2MOA is great.  Kind of an "aim small, miss small" mentality for me.

Agreed with safety1st, I think on any comp handgun 5 MOA +/- a few is the sweet spot. I currently run a  5 MOA SRO and have really been enjoying it.  I had the 2.5 MOA version and it was awesome as well, timing wise I have slightly quicker TA with the 5 MOA...

• 1 month later...