Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S2 w/ SRO - Which recoil spring?

rougeqc21

You pick the recoil spring that results in the least muzzle rise, sufficient dwell time to assure the next round is stripped, and no dip as the slide returns to battery.  It also depends on your grip and load, so what someone else uses is going to be of little help.

Start with what you are currently using and then try lighter and heavier.  Generally speaking, you added mass to the slide and that will slow it down.  So you typically go to a lighter spring to get the slide speed back up. If your spring was too light to begin with, you may end up staying the same or going heavier.

32 minutes ago, zzt said:

Start with what you are currently using and then try lighter and heavier.  Generally speaking, you added mass to the slide and that will slow it down.  So you typically go to a lighter spring to get the slide speed back up. If your spring was too light to begin with, you may end up staying the same or going heavier.

Meshes with how I was going to approach the question so appreciate the confirmation.

on my Prod guns, a shadow 2 and a shadow 2 orange the slides weight almost exactly the same as the slide with SRO on my optics ready shadow 2. so in my case the slide weight is enough the same to not even bother about the difference.

i think people want to because things (irons vs rds) look different in front of you face moving back and forth; and it is hard to reconcile that a big dot weighs the same as a small iron sight/plate cut out.

9lb in my Optic Ready with SRO and 9lb in my Orange and other Shadow 2s ( 5 total). 9lb in the gf's 4 2's as well. I used to run an 8lb in the Shadow 2 but was advised by Robin Sebo to step up to 9lb, didn't notice a difference in how it handled, so I was happy to do so. But 10-11lb drive the muzzle down when they go back into battery for me. 

On 9/14/2021 at 7:02 AM, slavex said:

9lb in my Optic Ready with SRO and 9lb in my Orange and other Shadow 2s ( 5 total). 9lb in the gf's 4 2's as well. I used to run an 8lb in the Shadow 2 but was advised by Robin Sebo to step up to 9lb, didn't notice a difference in how it handled, so I was happy to do so. But 10-11lb drive the muzzle down when they go back into battery for me. 

Are you running the shock buff still too?

the difference in slide velocity going to the rear with 12lb spring vs a 9lb spring would be pretty much zero. Michal Stepan of the CZUB factory team did a really good video for his engineering course, showing the difference in slide speed with different springs and bullet weights. The only real difference was on the slide going forward, going back you needed a spring so heavy that the slide would barely move before you really saw a speed difference. 

11 hours ago, slavex said:

the difference in slide velocity going to the rear with 12lb spring vs a 9lb spring would be pretty much zero. Michal Stepan of the CZUB factory team did a really good video for his engineering course, showing the difference in slide speed with different springs and bullet weights. The only real difference was on the slide going forward, going back you needed a spring so heavy that the slide would barely move before you really saw a speed difference. 

If that’s the case then why do many companies and people recommend using the distance of your ejected brass to help determine if you’re using the correct recoil spring?

Im not arguing against it, just trying to learn 

On 9/22/2021 at 7:39 PM, Malarky112 said:

If that’s the case then why do many companies and people recommend using the distance of your ejected brass to help determine if you’re using the correct recoil spring?

I'm thinking that the ejection distance is an easy to assess "indication or inference" of the actual important things - proper timing and reliability of cycling.  

On 9/22/2021 at 4:39 PM, Malarky112 said:

honestly I've never understood that rational for tuning springs, for me the key is does the muzzle dip when the slide returns to battery. If it does, then it's too heavy of spring. Simple.