Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Two bullets, one hole

njl

Can Doubles Happen? Yes

Are most claimed "Doubles" really one hit? Yes

Can RO's be bullied into changing a single hit call into a Double? Yes

Should you get kicked in the nuts by the rest of your squad mates by regularly calling for Doubles? Yes

Should you man up and accept that its really a miss? Yes

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, CHA-LEE said:

Can Doubles Happen? Yes

Are most claimed "Doubles" really one hit? Yes

Can RO's be bullied into changing a single hit call into a Double? Yes

Should you get kicked in the nuts by the rest of your squad mates by regularly calling for Doubles? Yes

Should you man up and accept that its really a miss? Yes

Eloquently put. 

13 hours ago, njl said:

Not entirely true, at least in IDPA.  As mentioned above, 4.12A allows for the use of stationary targets at 3yds or closer with the down-zero cut out, and the assumption that all shots at those targets that don't leave holes outside the down-zero went through the cut out.

Good Lord. Another reason not to shoot IDPA.

On 8/17/2021 at 10:01 PM, njl said:

Does anyone else LOL at the irony of this statement and the others that my double must have been an alpha - mike?  "It's so close, you don't even need sights, but you must have missed the target entirely, because perfect doubles just don't happen."  :)

I know I didn't miss.  Regardless, I'm pretty sure I made the right call not making a fuss about it at the match.

There´s a big difference between hitting the close range A-zone without seeing the sights, and hitting a perfect double. 

The first one is done by having a good index and good technique, the second one need´s a kind of recoil control, which is able to return the gun exactly !!! to the point from where the first shot started from and a trigger pull that doesn´t move the gun a micromillimeter. Or the exact same bad triggerpull ;)  

This can happen once in a while, yes....  once in a while. 

The chances alpha-mike to perfect double are about 1000 to 1 i guess ;)    If you are good... 

5 hours ago, bimmer1980 said:

The chances alpha-mike to perfect double are about 1000 to 1 i guess ;)    If you are good... 

it’s not really about being good, it’s more like just being…. Unlucky, because most likely you will score an Alpha/Mike. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2021 at 6:23 PM, Cuz said:

Some folks might wonder why the RO wasn’t focusing on you and the gun like he’s supposed to be doing. There will be plenty of time to check the targets after the “Range is clear”…

nobody who knows about actually being an RO would wonder that. Good RO's can see alot of stuff.

I had two doubles this weekend, and had to call the RM both times. I only got one of them. The other was pretty darn near a perfect circle, just had twice as dark a grease ring as every other shot on the targets. I better spread them out a bit more to make it easier.

On 8/15/2021 at 7:41 AM, bimmer1980 said:

This is too funny !!  :)

At 5 Yards, you can easily shoot misses. You just need to switch your focus/eyes/body a bit to early.

At this distance, you can transition from one to the next target, 2 yards to the side in ~0,2 sec., which also means you can easily miss a target at this distance in this time. 

what you say is true, but it is also true that you can easily put 2 bullets through the same hole. I think it happens more often than getting 'popper f*ked'. At least it does to me, lol. As schultz says, I should probably speed up, but when shooting a partial with a no-shoot at 5 yards I am sometimes hesitant to feel reckless.

If you are good enough to put two bullets in the same hole, then you are also good enough to spread them apart. Its also a good reminder that you are probably shooting too slow for the given target difficulty. A fist size hit displacement on two aggressive shots is usually a good indicator that you are shooting at the proper aggressive pace.

I too have had perfect doubles that ended up as misses during a match and after reviewing video footage afterwards shows both bullets hitting the exact same spot on the target or berm. If there isn't evidence of two hits on the target that an overlay can distinguish, I don't question it because its pointless. In every one of these situations, when I reviewed the footage my shooting pace was slower than it should have been for that target. As I said above, if I was shooting that target with the proper aggression, then it would have spread out the hits. Lesson learned, don't shoot like a wimp.

On 9/7/2021 at 6:46 PM, CHA-LEE said:

If you are good enough to put two bullets in the same hole, then you are also good enough to spread them apart. Its also a good reminder that you are probably shooting too slow for the given target difficulty. A fist size hit displacement on two aggressive shots is usually a good indicator that you are shooting at the proper aggressive pace.

I too have had perfect doubles that ended up as misses during a match and after reviewing video footage afterwards shows both bullets hitting the exact same spot on the target or berm. If there isn't evidence of two hits on the target that an overlay can distinguish, I don't question it because its pointless. In every one of these situations, when I reviewed the footage my shooting pace was slower than it should have been for that target. As I said above, if I was shooting that target with the proper aggression, then it would have spread out the hits. Lesson learned, don't shoot like a wimp.

This 👆

On 8/11/2021 at 10:35 AM, GrumpyOne said:

(and, when you have 4 distinct holes in a 3/4" group, it would take a wild swing of imagination to think that your 5th shot completely missed the target.)

Maybe a wild swing, but it does happen. Especially on "Can You Count", and just like on a Bill Drill.

Until you practice and actually shoot 5 or 6 rounds in rapid succession, you might not realize how quickly your trigger finger can get tired. If it does, those last few, sometimes especially the very last shot, can get sideways. 

I've been called in to score a lot of targets that HAD to be doubles, but most weren't. Granted I had a few that were verifiable doubles. Those are actually fun to find. :)

• 2 months later...

Just an anecdote on a close target. Bang, bang. I see one hole. Oh, geez - how could I throw one shot. Bang, still one hole. RO is laughing and laughing. While this was not a serious match, I looked at him and he said: Through the same hole!  Rare as being hit by lightning, but since I have been hit by lightning, that cliche is meaningless to me.

• 2 months later...

I had one about a week ago while testing some SWC loads over the chrono.  Was shot #1 and #3 of five rounds and I thought I totally missed it. Had a target taped to a box and the back flap was at an angle and it showed 4 holes but one was elongated. Only after taking it into the shop and closely inspecting it under a magnifier I could see a darker ring and a slightly larger hole. Have had some close ones but never like that.