Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 .45 recoil spring

Cowguy

Used to run the standard 16 pound springs but I recently switched to a 14.  it helps with stage is where you have to load from the table because it makes the weapon easier to rack from the front slide. Makes the gun shoot a little flatter too from what I can tell. I put a shock buff in as well, just to keep the gun from taking too much punishment. Seems to help. 

I was running a 16lb'er but the slide started to perculate on ejection and wouldn't close the slidem until I thumbed it.  I can't complain though, it has over 50000 rds on it - the original spring from STI.  I only had an 18lb Wilson Combat spring so in it went, runs as it should.

On 8/1/2021 at 6:51 AM, RePete said:

I was running a 16lb'er but the slide started to perculate on ejection and wouldn't close the slidem until I thumbed it.  I can't complain though, it has over 50000 rds on it - the original spring from STI.

FLG has one like that on his shelf of broken parts, it is squashed down and worn flat, about as strong as a fresh firing pin spring.  The guy he built the gun for just didn't see the point in replacing springs as long as the gun went off.  

Oh, yeah, he also has a cracked slide from that same customer.

Edited by Jim Watson

1 hour ago, Jim Watson said:

FLG has one like that on his shelf of broken parts, it is squashed down and worn flat, about as strong as a fresh firing pin spring.  The guy he built the gun for just didn't see the point in replacing springs as long as the gun went off.  

Oh, yeah, he also has a cracked slide from that same customer.

Yeah I get it.  

No cracked slide nor damage of any kind.

It won't happen again.   need to get some 16# springs too.