Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Major match etiquette

Stafford

Never shot a major, so I don't know the ruling on this scenario. Say a match is being run over three days. Can you show up the day before you are to shoot and walk the stages and watch how others shoot the match. Seems like an advantage over those who shoot on day 1. Perhaps this is common and everyone does it. Or perhaps there is a ruling against doing this?

For majors it is typically in the match book when the stages are available for walk throughs.  Do not touch any targets or activate activators to watch moving targets during the walk through.  If the staff match is in progress, and a stage RO is present ask the RO if it is ok to walk the stage.  Obviously if a squad is on the stage you would have to wait till the squad has completed the stage or walk a stage that is not currently active.

If you are left handed, walk the stages the day before, trust me. You will not get the same amount of time to check the stage out on match day as the other shooters. You will constantly be "going the wrong way".

8 minutes ago, OPENB said:

If you are left handed, walk the stages the day before, trust me. You will not get the same amount of time to check the stage out on match day as the other shooters. You will constantly be "going the wrong way".

If you left handed folk would just be normal it wouldn't a problem! Jk jk.

You make a very good point though.

Go the day before,  walk the stages find all the targets, if there are crazy circus things or memory stages figure those out. You say your shooting over 3 days so pay a little more attention to the stages you will shoot the next day, you may even want to only walk those stages depending on your schedule. Keep in mind you don't need to have a full plan for each stage the day before, you really just want to know where all the targets are and what you need to do, burning in a plan the day before makes it harder to alter your plan if you find a better one during match day walk through. 

It can be hard to visualize what a stage will really look like from the diagrams. One or two will really confuse you just looking at the layout on paper.  Usually things look a lot better on the ground. Getting a good look the day before shooting relaxes me and gives you a chance to take a long look at stages with lots of choices or as mentioned the occasional memory stage. Most stages are pretty straightforward.

8 hours ago, OPENB said:

THIS

On 7/13/2021 at 9:35 AM, motosapiens said:

everyone serious walks the stages the day before. It's really only a significant advantage on stupid memory stages, or on circus activator stages.

For me it's more about not being surprised by anything on match day. Keeps the heart rate down and the mood mellow when you know what you are getting into on each bay. 

One thing to not do is go to a match the day before and spend 8 hours on the range in the heat watching people and bullshirting, then waking up dehydrated. 

You can, from the matchbook/stage diagrams see any oddball/peculiar stuff. If, for example, one stage is El Presidente and the other has 3 swingers and a drop turner, prioritize your time on the tough stages. 

It's always amazed me at how many people show up at a major and make no effort to prep/walk the stages prior to. 

These days I go just to see what the actual stages, start positions, ect are because the last few match books have been a waste of time to even look at. I usually go around the time that days shooters are getting done. Start with what ever stage I start on and go through each one. And as @OPENB stated, if left handed this is about the only time you will get a good walk through. And I'm left handed. Although I have found that most RO's if asked and you are the first shooter up will give you a little extra time and clear the stage. I only ever ask if it's a tricky stage plan or I happen to get on a squad that I dont know most the people on. My normal squad buddies are pretty aware that I'll be walking the stage at the same time as them but in a different direction. And honestly I'd say 90% of the people are cool about it.