Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good book on the mental aspect of shooting

Flageo

Peak Performance by Charles Garfield is a great read for anyone competing at any level.  It goes into detail on what it takes to be In-The-Moment when shooting.  You have to have your mind set for best performance.

I've gifted copies to many shooters and most: if following the directions, will improve.

• 2 months later...
On 6/11/2021 at 9:16 AM, AzShooter said:

Peak Performance by Charles Garfield is a great read for anyone competing at any level. 

I've gifted copies to many shooters and most: if following the directions, will improve.

Maybe you meant Peak Performers by C. Garfield?

or maybe Peak Performance by Stulberg and Magness?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 6/10/2021 at 5:35 PM, Flageo said:

Just finished the book called Attainment by Troy Basham.  Quick read and well worth it.  

A friend once referred the book to me. I guess it worth reading, I'll check it out.

If the opportunity arises, I'd recommend talking to a sport psychologist. Aside from reading a book i got a ton of insight to athleticism and the mental game behind it. its helped me control my anxiety during my early years of competitive shooting. 

• 4 months later...

The book "With Winning in Mind" by Lanny Bassham is a great read and recommended reading by many top shooters and others who perform at top levels in their field.  I haven't read "Attainment" by Troy Bassham yet, but I probably should.  Troy is Lanny's son and is a Senior Master Instructor in the family business at Mental Management Systems.  Lanny and Troy have been teaching mental management techniques for many years, focused on helping others attain the highest levels of  performance.  Their customer base has included PGA players, Miss America finalists, Miss USA winners, World and Olympic champions, Fortune 500 companies, The United States Secret Service, The US Navy SEALS, The United States Army and Marine Corps Marksmanship Units, and Olympic Teams worldwide.

Guys:

I read Bassham's book many years ago.  A part of a bigger picture.  I think this thread is oriented on 'Performance Enhancement', 'Mental Skills Training', 'Mental Management' and a few other names.  All are based pretty much on the same techniques.  They tend to follow a path with an end state of successful performance of a task on demand.  The parts of the process generally are Goals Setting and Accomplishment, Imagery and Visualization, Positive Self Talk, Arousal Control. The end state is the individual being able to focus their attention solely on successful task accomplishment.   Ditch any thoughts not applicable to the task (mind clearing), place yourself in your ideal emotional and physiological state (arousal control), and ensure your mind stays focused on perfect task accomplishment (imagery / visualization / self talk).  The athlete is preparing himself mentally so his body can function at its highest level of perfection.

However, there is a big difference between reading about these techniques and doing them in an order or to a degree where they can be proven to work -- on demand.  The 'on demand' part is the real test  because if what a guy does doesn't come through when he or she needs it, he wasted his time and this can lead to a real bad time.

Mental Skills Training is only a minor part of Sport Psych.  What a Performance Psychologist can do is focus the individual towards the right skills done in the right manner where they can assist the person in overcoming some sort of obstacle he is encountering so he can accomplish his goals.  

One of the better Sport Psych books I had to read is "The Sport Psychologists Handbook" edited by Dosil.  MIne is 2006 and I may look to see if he put together another hand 

book because it is the reality of Sport Psych within a number of different sports.  It isn't as cut and dry as one thinks because people and the sports they play are vastly different.  Very interesting to read what is and isn't important for athletes involved in different sports.

However, none of it has a chance to work unless a person trains on those mental skills they believe they need to perform at the top of their game.   

Leads me to ask how many here have a mental skills training process they use every time they practice or compete, and how well does it work?

GG66

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I have been reading sports psychology books for years and for a long time “The Inner Game of Tennis” by Timothy Gallwey was one of my favorites that I seemed to find a nugget every time I read it. About two years ago I ran across ‘Bullseye Mind’ by Dr. Raymond Prior (Creedmor Sports has it) and I think it covers the topics of mental toughness in general, and it’s application to shooting sports, better than anything I have found. I enjoyed Lanny and Troy Basham’s books but I always had the impression that they are holding something back, so that they have a product to sell. I get no hint of this with Prior’s book. Another older book that I like, and has most concepts in common with ‘Bullseye Mind’, but written in a less academic way is ‘Zen in the Martial Arts’ by Joe Hyams.

On 4/17/2022 at 3:21 PM, ShredderTactical said:

The book "With Winning in Mind" by Lanny Bassham is a great read and recommended reading by many top shooters and others who perform at top levels in their field.  I haven't read "Attainment" by Troy Bassham yet, but I probably should.  Troy is Lanny's son and is a Senior Master Instructor in the family business at Mental Management Systems.  Lanny and Troy have been teaching mental management techniques for many years, focused on helping others attain the highest levels of  performance.  Their customer base has included PGA players, Miss America finalists, Miss USA winners, World and Olympic champions, Fortune 500 companies, The United States Secret Service, The US Navy SEALS, The United States Army and Marine Corps Marksmanship Units, and Olympic Teams worldwide.

Miss America finalists?  Pageantry is the 1980s version of YouTube celebrities.  Just have to do the ceremonial wave and hope for world peace.  

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...