Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open up USPSA Revolver Division Poll

pskys2

Remove restrictions in USPSA Revolver Division?   

91 members have voted

1. 1. Open up USPSA Revolver Division

• Keep it as is, don't like no changes!
    • Open it up remove all restrictions but 8 shot minor, 6 shot major.
    • I don't want any restrictions I want to load my Short Colts with fissionable material and shoot Major!
    • Who cares load up and let's run!
    • What's a Revolver?

3 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

I'm gonna say this one time.

Attitude
Please be polite. Or if not polite, at least respectful.
No bickering. Regardless of the subject matter.
Antagonistic, offensive, or quarrelsome tones are not acceptable.
No trolling. No alternate accounts.

Anyone (on either side of this discussion) who violates the above guidelines after this point will get a forum timeout. 

You can discuss these things without being antagonistic, offensive, or quarrelsome. 

Sounds Good!

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, AzShooter said:

O.K., I'm old and no longer competing with my revolver in USPSA but I always got a laugh from shooters that would pre-judge my performance with the revolver over their autos.  I made a lot of coin when someone would comment on how slow I was going to be and I challenged them per stage and for match win.  And I'm not that fast.

Shoot what you enjoy and leave it at that.  I've never seen a $25K truck in the parking lot to go to the winner.

BTW I just started shooting my 617 for RFPI in SCSA and my times are better than they are with my Ruger Mark IV.  I make my hits much more reliably.  The trick is to keep that trigger finder moving.

Yep, live and let live.  Don't see the benefit in degrading another Division.  The 617 is next on my list!!!

For SC do you like a 4" or 6"?

My plan for '22 is to shoot a 627 ISR & 617 RFPI then add a Dot to the 617 & use a 627 Pro w/Dot on another flight.  That way I could use the same Glasses per flight!

28 minutes ago, AzShooter said:

I've got the 6 inch and really like it.  I've never had the chance to shoot a 4 inch.  With Irons I think the extra 2 inches is an advantage, with a dot, not so much.

5`7  Apex Hammer.jpg

Lord I'm drooling all over my keyboard!  That's what I was leaning to also.  But then availability and price will take precedence!

2 hours ago, cas said:

I'd like the revolver rules to change to what they were ten years or so ago. 

I hear you. I miss 6 major too. Too bad no one makes a competitive gun in the last 20 years. 

If hey went back to 6 shot guns I'd buy myself another 625 and have at it.   I never should have sold mine. It's the fastest gun for reloading and you can get some very accurate reloads with those 230 grain LRN bullets.

19 hours ago, cas said:

I'd like the revolver rules to change to what they were ten years or so ago. 

It had it's moments but I'd rather not see it.  The web of my hand at the Thumb likes Minor so much better!  And my reloads are just as fast with the 627.  I can get a lighter, reliable action pull with the 627 too.  I really do think it's the "rimmed" cartridge advantage over a "rimless" cartridge.  But then my buddies 929 has a real sweet action, just haven't weighed it.

But unlike some, I'd shoot Revolver Division no matter what.  Well almost would draw the line at Black Powder!

Right now the Poll is 24 nay's, 22 yea's and 9 who just want to play!  So I guess I'd say it's 33 no's and 31 yes.

For the Nay's is it just NO change or a Dot or a Comp that's the beef?

After all that's about the only changes to be had except for the 8 minor issue.

Edited by pskys2

3 hours ago, pskys2 said:

For the Nay's is it just NO change or a Dot or a Comp that's the beef?

I don't like the idea of adding new required gear, and find myself just liking irons more than I liked my time shooting a dot division, quantitatively.

I also like 8 minor from a practical standpoint. My gun is going to last a whole lot longer and my reloads on stages are a lot less frustrating with wimpy little .38 Short than they would (be) with .357.

On compensators/ports, I'd find that annoying because nobody makes/does them on my gun, as far as I know.

Edited by Fishbreath

2 hours ago, Fishbreath said:

I don't like the idea of adding new required gear, and find myself just liking irons more than I liked my time shooting a dot division, quantitatively.

I also like 8 minor from a practical standpoint. My gun is going to last a whole lot longer and my reloads on stages are a lot less frustrating with wimpy little .38 Short than they would (be) with .357.

On compensators/ports, I'd find that annoying because nobody makes/does them on my gun, as far as I know.

I agree, in USPSA I'd shoot Irons even if a Dot was allowed.  I'm sure I'd be in the minority. But in Time+ scoring like ICORE I'd rather use a Dot.

2 hours ago, 71Commander said:

It would be nice to have an optic option.

With the trend rising even in EDC to use Optics, it may be a matter of time before Iron Sights go the way of the Typewriter!

So do we get ahead or play catch up?

Right now the Poll is 24 No, 23 Yes (in some form) and 11 don't care.  That's 58 total, Wonder if that's the whole Dedicated Revolver Crowd?

Edited by pskys2

Hears what I would like to see. Allow revolver to enter/compete in carry optics.

Its the next logical step. Its a good fit overall. And before any one ask yes I do

carry a custom 64 with a dot. 

Edited by AHI

10 minutes ago, AHI said:

Hears what I would like to see. Allow revolver to enter/compete in carry optics.

Its the next logical step. Its a good fit overall. And before any one ask yes I do

Email NROI and tell them. I requested this exact option and was told "Well, there wasn't much enthusiasm for it." Maybe they'll consider it if they hear it from more people.

2 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

This is at least a little funny to read in the revolver section. 

Why?  I EDC a S&W 325 Thunder Ranch, it even has an attachment rail for lights can one take off the rail from a 1911 or Glock?.  With 6 rounds of 230 HST's and 2 reloads I'm just as protected as if I had that many in a Glock and it actually weighs no more.  I can even with 1 screw remove the RS and add a Dot (and do for competition frequently on other N Frames).

I do realize the Revolver's mostly used for EDC are J Frames and don't have a lot of options.  But I'd bet that will change in the future.  There are a LOT of K, L, N Frames used as bed side, home defense and a Dot at night is even better than Tritium Sights.

So yes I do think it is the future coming.

1 hour ago, AHI said:

The issue with that is capacity, 8 can never be competitive against 22!

Haven't gone to a dot for my 325, doubt if I will.  But have a 627 Pro with a Dot or a spare 625 PC that I've added one too on occasion and leave in night stand.

1 hour ago, matteekay said:

Email NROI and tell them. I requested this exact option and was told "Well, there wasn't much enthusiasm for it." Maybe they'll consider it if they hear it from more people.

I campaigned my AD and NROI and Foley for it when it was still a 10 shot Provisional Division.  Now that CO is a High Cap Division it's kind of a Quixotic endeavor, while at 10 it was crazy but fun. 

2 hours ago, AHI said:

I’m a fan of this as well. 

It was brought up to the board at one point. They concluded that revolver had too much of an advantage because the dot is frame mounted and doesn’t move like it would on a slide. 

1 hour ago, pskys2 said:

Why?  I EDC a S&W 325 Thunder Ranch, it even has an attachment rail for lights can one take off the rail from a 1911 or Glock?.  With 6 rounds of 230 HST's and 2 reloads I'm just as protected as if I had that many in a Glock and it actually weighs no more.  I can even with 1 screw remove the RS and add a Dot (and do for competition frequently on other N Frames).

I do realize the Revolver's mostly used for EDC are J Frames and don't have a lot of options.  But I'd bet that will change in the future.  There are a LOT of K, L, N Frames used as bed side, home defense and a Dot at night is even better than Tritium Sights.

So yes I do think it is the future coming.

If you can't see any humor in a statement iron sights will go the way of the typewriter in a forum about a division that is going the way of the typewriter then I don't think I can help you. 

Not that your wrong, dots are the future. But we're making a case to allow dots on revolvers because Iron sights are dated? lol

1 hour ago, MWP said:

It was brought up to the board at one point. They concluded that revolver had too much of an advantage because the dot is frame mounted and doesn’t move like it would on a slide. 

I think the 14-round disparity really negates that advantage... 

7 hours ago, matteekay said:

I did we got flashlights.

6 hours ago, pskys2 said:

The issue with that is capacity, 8 can never be competitive against 22!

Haven't gone to a dot for my 325, doubt if I will.  But have a 627 Pro with a Dot or a spare 625 PC that I've added one too on occasion and leave in night stand.

Had to enter open DFL. If I was in Co (same match) would have been 8th out of 35 .

Edited by AHI

On 4/29/2021 at 3:12 PM, MWP said:

That's bull.

30 minutes ago, 71Commander said:

That's bull.

Agreed, let's not be silly. A fantastic revolver reload even with 8 shots is 1.6 seconds or so, if 14 is an option then it's unbeatable. Why not let revolver be the heavy metal division it deserves? Hell, give us a new power factor around 190 where we get more points.