Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open up USPSA Revolver Division Poll

pskys2

Remove restrictions in USPSA Revolver Division?   

91 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing that occurred to me the other day: if I were king of ICORE, I'd be doing everything I could to make it possible to have legal ICORE side matches at USPSA matches. There are USPSA matches on every corner, comparatively, and being able to shoot ICORE divisions with your revolver buddies at a USPSA match would be kind of nice.

Still opposed to changing the USPSA revolver rules, though. Didn't a bunch of people quit over the 6-to-8 transition? Unnecessary (... in my opinion) rules fiddling might bring in newbies, at the cost of definitely cheesing off regulars. Not worth it.

20 hours ago, Fishbreath said:

One thing that occurred to me the other day: if I were king of ICORE, I'd be doing everything I could to make it possible to have legal ICORE side matches at USPSA matches. There are USPSA matches on every corner, comparatively, and being able to shoot ICORE divisions with your revolver buddies at a USPSA match would be kind of nice.

Still opposed to changing the USPSA revolver rules, though. Didn't a bunch of people quit over the 6-to-8 transition? Unnecessary (... in my opinion) rules fiddling might bring in newbies, at the cost of definitely cheesing off regulars. Not worth it.

It's not ICORE that makes it hard to do a side match, after match, at a USPSA event.  It's finding someone to do it.  I did it several times at our local match and had a few who shoot, but nobody was interested enough to help out.  So it got tedious pretty quick.

ICORE will allow you to get classified without even being at an ICORE Club.  You just have to have a Certified NROI RO or ICORE SO.

I doubt if a rule change would bring in any appreciable amount of newbie's.  And yes it might sour a few regulars as did the 8 shot minor rule.  But our numbers are low enough I don't think it matters either way.  Out of curiosity how many "Regular Revolvers" does your club have at its USPSA Match?

The small numbers of the poll right now show 8 for no change and 10 for either yes or don't care, or another way 5 to change and 13 to not or don't care.

Edited by pskys2

12 hours ago, RJH said:

You forgot the option of "eliminate  revolver so the rest of us can get done before midnight"  😂

I'm hoping you're being tongue in cheek?  

But that is something I hear from a few USPSA "other Division" competitors.  And it's pure fertilizer as all of the Revolver guys I shoot with, have shot with and know all work the stages (unlike what I can say about some from other Divisions, there are some I just refuse to squad with as they expect everyone else to work for them and that is something I've never seen with a Revolver Competitor).  As for speed of going through the COF, it's no different from other Divisions some are slow some are blazing.  A good, not even great, Revolver Competitor can be within 10% of a similar class in a speed shoot, no round count issues, of any Iron Sight Division competitor.  Heck even in a Field Course the times aren't that much different.  A lot less than the difference between similar classes than there are within classes within a specific Division.

There is a certain amount of "looking down your nose" attitude directed at Revolver Division Competitors that does aggravate me.  But it does make it sweeter when you place higher than the majority of them, and I will admit to having rubbed a few noses in it, when it seems particularly required.

12 hours ago, RJH said:

You forgot the option of "eliminate  revolver so the rest of us can get done before midnight"  😂

I overheard an open shooter yesterday explaining revo to a newb:  he described it "as exciting as watching paint dry..."  Perspective is an interesting thing:  I'm far to busy thinking and reloading to ever be bored shooting a revolver in USPSA.   Its only boring from the outside.

I'll finish right around 50%-56% shooting minor overall, and 50% +/-2%  shooting major.  I'm literally average for the match (overall) with 6 rounds.  I'm not slowing anyone down.  Plus, I've got matches worth of ammo mooned, which means I'm always available to RO, tape, run the pad etc.   

Jason

11 minutes ago, Makicjf said:

I overheard an open shooter yesterday explaining revo to a newb:  he described it "as exciting as watching paint dry..."  Perspective is an interesting thing:  I'm far to busy thinking and reloading to ever be bored shooting a revolver in USPSA.   Its only boring from the outside.

I'll finish right around 50%-56% shooting minor overall, and 50% +/-2%  shooting major.  I'm literally average for the match (overall) with 6 rounds.  I'm not slowing anyone down.  Plus, I've got matches worth of ammo mooned, which means I'm always available to RO, tape, run the pad etc.   

Jason

Yep there are snobs in all aspects of life aren't there?

In reality when I switch to shooting a semi-auto I feel like I'm wasting time with nothing to do during transitions.  My trigger finger wants to start rolling!  Mag changes are so simple and pedestrian too.  I feel so sorry for those who are just floating through life without any real effort or EXCITEMENT!

I'd much rather squad with Revolvers than Open guys, their guns, and especially their magazines, are so temperamental.  It takes several shooters worth of time to clean both mags they used in a COF after each run!  The slowest thing about Revolver Competitors is helping them find that wayward moon clip that ran away!

But I try to always be the stand up guy and let their comments roll off with minimal response (well sometimes at least?).  We few, we circle of brothers, are ambassadors for us all.  Keep the Faith Brother!

Edited by pskys2

Will there y'all have it , y'all are so fast we should just eliminate revolver as its own division and roll y'all right in with limited and open,  not split the  2 guys shooting revolver in an area now into 2 separate divisions  😂

1 hour ago, pskys2 said:

Out of curiosity how many "Regular Revolvers" does your club have at its USPSA Match?

Just me, although there are 2-3 others who shoot nearby, with whom I cross paths a few times a year.

1 hour ago, pskys2 said:

It's not ICORE that makes it hard to do a side match, after match, at a USPSA event.

I don't mean a match afterward, I mean an ICORE match that uses the same stages as the USPSA event, concurrently. Submit your scores to both places. It would require changes to the ICORE rules, I suspect, but it also means that any USPSA match can almost automatically be an ICORE match, and if you really want to shoot a dot/comp revolver without being scored against the division where a dot/comp revolver belongs in USPSA (Open), then you have the option of doing so.

I just don't want to have to go out and buy another dot, and have my Ruger drilled and tapped, and go through all the extra hassle a dot adds, for the sake of going slightly faster, especially since there are twenty years of classifier scores for wheelguns already, and adding dots will make it super-easy to climb the ranks for a year or two until USPSA adjusts the scores (which I don't trust them to do correctly the first time).

2 minutes ago, RJH said:

Will there y'all have it , y'all are so fast we should just eliminate revolver as its own division and roll y'all right in with limited and open,  not split the  2 guys shooting revolver in an area now into 2 separate divisions  😂

At an average match, I spend a whole lot more time waiting for Limited and Open guys to finish a stage than I do Revolver guys. Just saying.

I'm out there to have fun if winning is the only way to have a good time then I'm done I enjoy shooting my revolver I don't think I hold anyone up I paste targets like everyone else help set up and tear down witch is more then some do this sport is about shooting the best you can as fast as you can by comparing a 25 year old open gun shooter to a 50 or 60 year old revolver shooter is just a way to make fun of them at there expense my grandson can out run any of you in the mile so should he run you down say you have no place in the sport we all, pay the same amount to enter and shoot a match so respect everyone there  

4 minutes ago, Fishbreath said:

At an average match, I spend a whole lot more time waiting for Limited and Open guys to finish a stage than I do Revolver guys. Just saying.

That is because at an average match there are no revolver guys.....

Just now, Fishbreath said:

Yes, which means it's not the revolver guys keeping you out until midnight. :P

I just happen to live in a revolver hotbed where occasionally 2 revolver Shooters show up at a club match. It's almost like revolver Nationals LOL

9 minutes ago, Fishbreath said:

The match I went to in March almost had three—me and one other Revolver regular, and a semi-auto guy who would've been shooting his 929 if he'd remembered to swap the insert in his holster.

Almost three, I love it

4 minutes ago, PatJones said:

We had 3 last weekend, the turnout was close to being on par with the other handgun divisions. The way we keep adding divisions, you're all gonna be shooting against 2 other people.

Screenshot_20210419-093235.png

I agree, too many divisions. But saying that's why there's nobody shooting revolver is a little disingenuous. Nobody shot revolver back before PCC, single stack, and carry Ops was introduced. That's as far back as I go so I can't say for sure if anybody shot revolver much before then:-)

So everybody knows I'm just having fun I don't really care what anybody shoots. I am against adding any more divisions though, and wouldn't be broken hearted if they combined revolver, L10, single stack, and production all-in-one 8 round major 10-round minor division

10 minutes ago, RJH said:

So everybody knows I'm just having fun I don't really care what anybody shoots. I am against adding any more divisions though, and wouldn't be broken hearted if they combined revolver, L10, single stack, and production all-in-one 8 round major 10-round minor division

I'd be a little peeved if they put Revolver in the hypothetical Locap Irons division, myself. L10/SS/Prod are all very similar, and scoring them heads up doesn't seriously screw anybody over. Not so with wheelguns—if anything, it's a worse idea than pskys2's (sorry), at least in terms of needlessly forcing people to buy new guns.

I don't care what people shoot either, but I also support a division system that matches like against like.

While we're talking about division condensing and moderately silly ideas, the results from Area 6 suggest that you could do a Carry Optics+Limited division by allowing irons+major and slide-mount optic+minor—if you score CO/Lim as a separate match, there are 4 Limited shooters above 90%, and 4 Carry Optics shooters above 90%.

14 minutes ago, Fishbreath said:

I'd be a little peeved if they put Revolver in the hypothetical Locap Irons division, myself. L10/SS/Prod are all very similar, and scoring them heads up doesn't seriously screw anybody over. Not so with wheelguns—if anything, it's a worse idea than pskys2's (sorry), at least in terms of needlessly forcing people to buy new guns.

I don't care what people shoot either, but I also support a division system that matches like against like.

While we're talking about division condensing and moderately silly ideas, the results from Area 6 suggest that you could do a Carry Optics+Limited division by allowing irons+major and slide-mount optic+minor—if you score CO/Lim as a separate match, there are 4 Limited shooters above 90%, and 4 Carry Optics shooters above 90%.

You could shoot 8 shot major with your revolver. It would work out fine

Combining limited and carry-ops would be fine with me. But those are the two largest divisions and probably the two that need the least amount of tweaking. It would seem more prudent to lump together divisions that no one shoots so at least there is a chance of having a competition at a competition