Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

4Runner match truck

Bought my 2019 4Runner a year and a half ago as a match truck and then Covid hit so only got to use it a few times for that. Used my stimulus money to spruce it up a bit. Season starts in a week so hopefully it gets used more this year. LOL

Before and after.

IMG_1427.jpg

IMG_1442.jpg

Nice truck! Unfortunately I was brought up in the 70's which were dark days for the American automakers when it came to quality and reliability. I jumped to Toyota in 83 and have never looked back. I just can't do American when it comes to Automobiles.

11 hours ago, Sarge said:

Nice truck! Unfortunately I was brought up in the 70's which were dark days for the American automakers when it came to quality and reliability. I jumped to Toyota in 83 and have never looked back. I just can't do American when it comes to Automobiles.

I hear ya. I have a Corolla that I use as a commuter vehicle and I looked  at the tundra for a bit too. I do love the four runners though

15 hours ago, Sarge said:

Bought my 2019 4Runner a year and a half ago as a match truck and then Covid hit so only got to use it a few times for that. Used my stimulus money to spruce it up a bit. Season starts in a week so hopefully it gets used more this year. LOL

Before and after.

IMG_1427.jpg

IMG_1442.jpg

I’m getting ready to do a 3” lift and 32s on a friend’s 2021 TRD this coming weekend in the exact same color. 👍

My 1999 4Runner with manual transmission, 4wheel drive, locking front and rear differentials. Bought it new when I was stationed as an instructor at the Naval Training Center, Great Lakes IL in 1999. It’s one year older than my son and wants to have it now.

Used to off-road a lot in SoCal, Moab and Arizona when I was stationed in San Diego. I installed an ARB locking differential in the front to compliment the E-locker in the rear diff plus a 2” lift. I installed a bull bar, had the tube sliders welded to the frame for protection against rocks and a set of black steeel wheels and BFG TA/KO for wheeling along with a Warn winch. I removed and sold lift kit, Warn winch and set of steel wheels after retiring from the service since there are no places to go off-road here in Florida (unless it’s mud which is a pain in the ass to clean).

301-D4088-BF59-49-AF-ADF5-B3-BD60-F62-FD

Still running like a top after 21 years. Replaced the valve cover gaskets, camshaft plugs, spark plugs, spark plug wires, PCV valve and hose in the garage last week.

0294-D12-B-C350-4-CA6-AFC7-2-D1-E528-E66

06441205-C7-CE-4787-AC16-B9-F96-DC5-CB04

Edited by George16

2 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I’m getting ready to do a 3” lift and 32s on a friend’s 2021 TRD this coming weekend in the exact same color. 👍

I didn’t want a true lift. I’m perfectly happy with a nice smooth ride. The guys over on the 4Runner forums call 3” lifts the devil.😂

Lifts are only necessary if you're really out there wheeling hard, in which case you'll need a lift AND sliders, skids, and other up-armoring. The 4Runner has plenty of clearance to handle any fire road in the USA.

I drive a 2017 Lexus GX460 which is extremely similar to the 4Runner (it's a rebranded euro-spec Toyota Landcruiser 150, to be exact) and it has gotten me to some incredible places in stock form aside from some better tires.

163305975_10110352684264598_1412248917125670894_o.thumb.jpg.1e99f3c83a6488b61406f228f43a0990.jpg

Edited by ClangClang

20 hours ago, Sarge said:

I didn’t want a true lift. I’m perfectly happy with a nice smooth ride. The guys over on the 4Runner forums call 3” lifts the devil.😂

Oh she’s doing it right with an OME suspension from the guys in Australia. It’ll ride significantly better than stock, but don’t ask what it cost...

(I’m a certified master Toyota tech who spent 8 years wrenching on them. Going to those forums guys for sound advice is like going to Glocktalk to learn how to shoot fast. )

;) 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Oh she’s doing it right with an OME suspension from the guys in Australia. It’ll ride significantly better than stock, but don’t ask what it cost...

(I’m a certified master Toyota tech who spent 8 years wrenching on them. Going to those forums guys for sound advice is like going to Glocktalk to learn how to shoot fast. )

;) 

or even here sometimes.B)  You no longer work at Toyota I take it? I have a local shooting buddy who has been with them for twenty plus years. It's awesome have somebody that knowledgeable around to take care of my stuff.

17 hours ago, ClangClang said:

Lifts are only necessary if you're really out there wheeling hard, in which case you'll need a lift AND sliders, skids, and other up-armoring. The 4Runner has plenty of clearance to handle any fire road in the USA.

I drive a 2017 Lexus GX460 which is extremely similar to the 4Runner (it's a rebranded euro-spec Toyota Landcruiser 150, to be exact) and it has gotten me to some incredible places in stock form aside from some better tires.

163305975_10110352684264598_1412248917125670894_o.thumb.jpg.1e99f3c83a6488b61406f228f43a0990.jpg

Oh for sure. My wife has a RAV4 AWD that we took on some trails in Utah a few years ago. Other than the occasional ground clearance issue it climbed some pretty steep dirt roads with no problem. It also cracks me up to see putting $2500 headlight kits in them that are like a trillion candlepower just for running to get groceries. All they do is blind people. Nice rig, view and pic.:cheers:

On 3/21/2021 at 6:53 PM, Sarge said:

Boy would you be in for a huge surprise if you tried something else!

1 minute ago, Sarge said:

Maybe, but I’ll never know.😊

My girlfriend also has a Rav4, and it does the job better than I expect sometimes, but no way I could spend any amount of time in that interior.  That alone would be a turn off to me.  Granted you're never going to see me driving around in a Japanese truck anyway because they don't make anything that'd pull my trailer, but if the thought ever crossed my mind, the cheap seats and all that plastic would be a no thanks for me.

My buddy Brandon has a 4runner. We take it all over to matches. Very comfy seats, good stereo, great heat and A/C. I myself have been looking at them a good bit but man they sure dont go down in price on the used market. 

@Sarge love the color. 

1 hour ago, Bakerjd said:

My buddy Brandon has a 4runner. We take it all over to matches. Very comfy seats, good stereo, great heat and A/C. I myself have been looking at them a good bit but man they sure dont go down in price on the used market. 

@Sarge love the color. 

They don't go down in price until they get pretty old. My wife has a 2016 and when we were looking at uses you could get a 2014 with 50k miles for $2k less than new. Traded in her 08 with 130k miles and got $12k for trade in.

We actually bought ours through the costco car program and saves a bit but it's hit or miss. I have a 2019 tundra and the costco deal was more that the local dealer was charging.

• 2 months later...
On 3/21/2021 at 8:53 PM, Sarge said:

I was brought up in the 70's which were dark days for the American automakers when it came to quality and reliability.

Same here.  My first few cars were German, then a pair of Chryslers (both of which were not as bad as I had been told but also nowhere near what I expect) then in 2010 bought a Honda Fit to commute and retire the Dodge truck to weekend duty.

The Chryslers are gone, the Fit is still here (my daughter's HS car) with just under 1/4 million miles, I drive a 19 Accord ( 6 speed manual!) and my wife an 18 RAV 4