Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I shot a beautiful six inch original Python today...

ysrracer

12 hours ago, Toolguy said:

I've owned 4 original pythons in the 70's. The DA on them is nowhere near what a tuned S&W is like.

In the 1970s we were tuning the Pythons, too.

Stock Python double action stacks like mad, the main gunsmith objective being a smooth roll through.

S&W tuning has surpassed Colt.  Not surprising, considering they didn't make Pythons for about 30 years.  I only bring out my Pythons to show that they will shoot and not just decorate the gun safe.  When I want fast action, it is Smith all the way.   

16 hours ago, Toolguy said:

I've owned 4 original pythons in the 70's. The DA on them is nowhere near what a tuned S&W is like. I'll take 3 686s over 1 Python any day (for the same money, too).

I hate when threads like this come up. 😢 As a young soldier I bought a 6” Python and a 686 in 1980 or so. Sold them both to a pawn shop when I got married in 83. I guess we needed the money but damn do I regret selling them. NEVER SELL A GUN!

Back in the day (30-40 yrs ago) the python was a beautiful and expensive  gun that needed work not unliked every s&w (back then or today) - tho what i understood the python needed a bit more finesse than a s&w - so to make it right you (may choose to) get it tuned by someone like Jerry Moran who could do that work extremely well. I dont doubt todays version would be the same. 

• 2 months later...

My Python was purchased in 1961 ( my dad I was 16) it was very accurate and I shot squirrels with it. In the mid my brother invited me to a PPC match, I only had my Python so l bought a 1,000 reloads and I practiced and practiced the night before when I arrived at his house he gave a smith mod 19 that had a trigger job by Bill Davis long story short I used the model 19. Different tools for different problems

On 2/5/2021 at 11:07 AM, Sarge said:

I hate when threads like this come up. 😢 As a young soldier I bought a 6” Python and a 686 in 1980 or so. Sold them both to a pawn shop when I got married in 83. I guess we needed the money but damn do I regret selling them. NEVER SELL A GUN!

I sold my 4" Colt Trooper MK III when I was in gunsmithing school. Never been happier to see a firearm go away.

In the mid 80s we used to get lots of Colts and Rugers (remember the Security 6?) at out plate matches here. They would come a match or two and usually when they came the 3rd time they had a Model 19 or a 586S&W ( the 686s were hard to find but the 586s were around).

A friend of mine kept wanting to trade me his 6" stainless Python for my 6" 586 and my 4" 686.

He is gone now. I still have the 586 (now a 7 shoot moon clip dot gun) and the 686. 

Thanks for the memories guys!!