Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sight block Vs. SVI / Infinity Island barrel

Wiseguy724

On 1/19/2021 at 7:04 AM, Midwest3Gunner said:

Here comes the crane to get the thread train back on track 🚂🚃🚃.

Would everybody with a sight block or tracker barrel be willing to post pictures/their experiences with said gun? Trying to decide for a new build and don't have access to either to try.

Are you still looking for pics and info? this looks l=to be a couple months ago. I have both the Nemesis and an Infinity Sight Tracker, I can give you some info if you still need it. 

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2021 at 8:35 AM, Pfiddy said:

Are you still looking for pics and info? this looks l=to be a couple months ago. I have both the Nemesis and an Infinity Sight Tracker, I can give you some info if you still need it. 

Hi, sorry about the delay I didn't get a notification. I had a couple other projects come up, but if you want to post pictures in this thread that'd be a good resource for everyone!

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Midwest3Gunner said:

Hi, sorry about the delay I didn't get a notification. I had a couple other projects come up, but if you want to post pictures in this thread that'd be a good resource for everyone!

Thanks.

👍👍👍

I broke them out this morning and took a few photos. Lets start with the guns themselves. Apologies if this gets long winded. 

I received my Infinity in 2016 after about 16 months of waiting, I received my Atlas in 2018 after 93 days of waiting. 

re-sizing all these photos was a pain, everyone reading this owes me 2 rounds of .40 

fullsizeoutput_2d.jpeg

This is going to take up a lot of posts. 

The triggers on each at right about the same pull weight and crispness. I don't have a gauge so I don't have hard numbers for you. I would say right about 2lbs with a very short reset on each. The Infinity apparently uses a titanium sear spring, which has caused me some issues with the gun going full-auto. More on that later. 

fullsizeoutput_33.jpeg

The infinity is a 5 inch gun, the atlas is a 5.4 The weight is significantly different, 53 oz for the Atlas and 46 oz for the SVI. Thats damn near a half pound. Im a fairly big dude so the weight difference doesn't bother me much. 

fullsizeoutput_34.jpeg

The weight distribution is a little different, I was surprised to learn the barrel weights aren't that far apart. Obviously the atlas has an extra once and change on the barrel by itself but the weight is all at the end of the barrel. The island on the SVI extends back about 3" or so. I think this is the difference in feel when shooting at speed. The Atlas really does return to zero a little better and for me the extra weight overall feels more stable under rapid fire. Not that the SVI is a slouch in either dept, it really isn't. 

fullsizeoutput_3a.jpeg

Obviously the Infinity is far more customizable. They have nearly endless possibilities for the look of your gun, and most of them are absolutely beautiful. They make damn near everything in house, I hear they are even making their own springs now. The workmanship is amazing, it is truly a top shelf pistol. Ive owned 2 infinities and they have both been great shooting guns. Like I mentioned earlier, it took 16 months for them to deliver it. I have heard (can't confirm) that time is significantly reduced these days. I don't know for sure because I haven't ordered one lately. 

The Atlas is also a beautiful gun, but Im sure everyone knows there are far fewer options for customization. Atlas knows what works well and thats what they make. The only difference on my Nemesis vs every other Nemesis out there is the try-pocket cut just forward of the rear sight. Normally that is an open scoop cut. When I ordered mine Adam was kind enough to let me be a momentary Primmadonna and request this particular cut. He makes those cuts for weight distribution and was a little reluctant but I haven't noticed a difference in the shooting or wear between this Nemesis and my back up which is sporting the scoop cut. 

The recoil impulse is a little different between the 2. The Atlas will return to zero a little better and isn't as finicky about ammo. The SVI definitely wants them loaded long, any shorter than 1.16 and youre asking for trouble. The Atlas will feed factory .40 loaded to 1.12 without difficulty. The Atlas feels like a faster cycle but who the hell can really tell. Obviously this whole write up is subjective and based purely on my preference so the from it what you will. 

I shot the infinity for a couple seasons, after the Nemesis showed up it has been sitting on the shelf quite a bit. The SVI has about 7000 on it, the Nemesis is getting close to 50K on it. It really doesn't show much wear given its round count. I send it back to the mothership once a year for service. The first service was 2019 and it was back in about 10 days running beautifully. At the end of the 2020 season, it took about a month and the comms weren't nearly as good as the first time. I don't mean to bitch but they did set me up to expect perfection when it comes to their customer service. Cat leaving has had an impact on service IMO. Morgan doesn't seem quite as organized (sorry Morgan, just telling the truth).

fullsizeoutput_35.jpeg

Regarding service, Ive had a couple small issues with each. My mag catch broke on the nemesis, and I sheared an extractor hook. Both times the service was very fast and Adam warrantied them for me as they both happened at relatively low round counts. Adam spent quite a bit of time on the phone with me, answering questions and talking about other guns I had and the problems I had with them. I was very impressed that he would spend his valuable time teaching my dumb ass about 2011s in general not just his own builds. 

When SVI went full auto, I called them and had a little trouble getting ahold of someone who could talk to me about it. I was a little disappointed to hear they wanted me to send it in and it would be 6-8weeks before they could look at it. I understand the premium builders are busy but that was a tough one to swallow. I really didn't want to lose my gun for that long (first world problems, I know). I ended up adding some tension to the leaf spring and it hasn't done it since, although Ive been told it will due to the nature of Titanium springs. When/if it does, I'll prob just replace the spring with a steel version. 

Let me know if that is enough info, Im sure I missed something. 

13 hours ago, Midwest3Gunner said:

Thanks.

Hope this helps

On 4/9/2021 at 11:58 AM, Pfiddy said:

Regarding service, Ive had a couple small issues with each. My mag catch broke on the nemesis, and I sheared an extractor hook. Both times the service was very fast and Adam warrantied them for me as they both happened at relatively low round counts. Adam spent quite a bit of time on the phone with me, answering questions and talking about other guns I had and the problems I had with them. I was very impressed that he would spend his valuable time teaching my dumb ass about 2011s in general not just his own builds. 

When SVI went full auto, I called them and had a little trouble getting ahold of someone who could talk to me about it. I was a little disappointed to hear they wanted me to send it in and it would be 6-8weeks before they could look at it. I understand the premium builders are busy but that was a tough one to swallow. I really didn't want to lose my gun for that long (first world problems, I know). I ended up adding some tension to the leaf spring and it hasn't done it since, although Ive been told it will due to the nature of Titanium springs. When/if it does, I'll prob just replace the spring with a steel version. 

Let me know if that is enough info, Im sure I missed something. 

thank you very much for all the insight, Pfiddy. This is meaningful info that helps--thx for the effort to put the posts together.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/9/2021 at 10:50 AM, Pfiddy said:

Obviously the Infinity is far more customizable. They have nearly endless possibilities for the look of your gun, and most of them are absolutely beautiful. They make damn near everything in house, I hear they are even making their own springs now. The workmanship is amazing, it is truly a top shelf pistol. Ive owned 2 infinities and they have both been great shooting guns. Like I mentioned earlier, it took 16 months for them to deliver it. I have heard (can't confirm) that time is significantly reduced these days. I don't know for sure because I haven't ordered one lately. 

The Atlas is also a beautiful gun, but Im sure everyone knows there are far fewer options for customization. Atlas knows what works well and thats what they make. The only difference on my Nemesis vs every other Nemesis out there is the try-pocket cut just forward of the rear sight. Normally that is an open scoop cut. When I ordered mine Adam was kind enough to let me be a momentary Primmadonna and request this particular cut. He makes those cuts for weight distribution and was a little reluctant but I haven't noticed a difference in the shooting or wear between this Nemesis and my back up which is sporting the scoop cut. 

The recoil impulse is a little different between the 2. The Atlas will return to zero a little better and isn't as finicky about ammo. The SVI definitely wants them loaded long, any shorter than 1.16 and youre asking for trouble. The Atlas will feed factory .40 loaded to 1.12 without difficulty. The Atlas feels like a faster cycle but who the hell can really tell. Obviously this whole write up is subjective and based purely on my preference so the from it what you will. 

I shot the infinity for a couple seasons, after the Nemesis showed up it has been sitting on the shelf quite a bit. The SVI has about 7000 on it, the Nemesis is getting close to 50K on it. It really doesn't show much wear given its round count. I send it back to the mothership once a year for service. The first service was 2019 and it was back in about 10 days running beautifully. At the end of the 2020 season, it took about a month and the comms weren't nearly as good as the first time. I don't mean to bitch but they did set me up to expect perfection when it comes to their customer service. Cat leaving has had an impact on service IMO. Morgan doesn't seem quite as organized (sorry Morgan, just telling the truth).

fullsizeoutput_35.jpeg

Regarding Infinity making so much in house that would be surprising to me as their facility is so small.  I've driven by it quite a bit since it is right on I20.

I've always wanted an island setup and since STI discontinued the Apeiro looks like a custom is the only way.

• 5 weeks later...

So whats the call about Atlas Artemis? Is it allowed in IPSC Standard or not? After looking att pictures it looks like the sight block is 2-3 mm longer than the barrel. But can it be considered negliable and therefore allowed?

On 5/31/2021 at 1:18 PM, Glock17se said:

So whats the call about Atlas Artemis? Is it allowed in IPSC Standard or not? After looking att pictures it looks like the sight block is 2-3 mm longer than the barrel. But can it be considered negliable and therefore allowed?

If you read the thread and check Atlas webpage it clearly states:

- 5 inch barrel ( but the gun overall length is that of a 5,4 inch gun) extended by block to 5,4 inch (Nemesis) -> 10mm extension past the muzzle

- 4,6 inch barrel extended by block to 5 inch overall (Artemis) -> 10mm

Nowhere in the rules can you (at least yet) find an exemption, so why would 20mm, 10mm or even 2-3mm be negliable?

I have pointed out this issue to Atlas Gunworks and also one of their team shooters that marketed the Artemis as a IPSC SD ready gun and I can say that there was and reaction so to say.

Personally I think this made an ok rule into a stupid rule.... just allow any config. as long as it fits the box... why does it have to be so hard to get the rules right..

• 1 month later...

Here is a picture of my D2 Customs limited gun setup. It also has an open upper and limited minor upper. 5.4" sight tracker barrel with Atlas sight block. Shoots awesome with 200gn ammo at about 168PF.

IMG_20210728_051914_253.jpg