Wiseguy724

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

Only reason you need 2 guns is if you expect one to break.  I don't have any reason to doubt Atlas build decent guns.  But a comment like that certainly doesn't instill confidence in their work.

A high profile Open division shooter has specifically told me he won’t shoot any open gun made by companies that begin with the letter A.  He wouldn’t elaborate anymore than that. I agreed 🙂

32 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

Only reason you need 2 guns is if you expect one to break.  I don't have any reason to doubt Atlas build decent guns.  But a comment like that certainly doesn't instill confidence in their work.

if you shoot a lot you want 2 guns, you rotate them and you have a spare in case one breaks, I never broke an infinity, I have 2 limited guns and 2 open guns, never broke one yet.

33 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

I expect anything mechanical to break. If a gun breaks Sunday at your local it’s no big deal. Travel to a major and it breaks half way through the match and it’s a big deal. I have two Open guns but I have never needed to switch in 5 years. I loaned one out at a local when a buddy had his break though.😊

5 minutes ago, DirkD said:

if you shoot a lot you want 2 guns, you rotate them and you have a spare in case one breaks, I never broke an infinity, I have 2 limited guns and 2 open guns, never broke one yet.

They all break, period.  I've had my SV go down and I've seen it happen.  I'd say open guns are more likely to break than anything else.

1 minute ago, RangerTrace said:

They all break, period.  I've had my SV go down and I've seen it happen.  I'd say open guns are more likely to break than anything else.

what do you mean it went down?

Did it break or you had problems with it from a mag, spring, extractor, ammo or other minor issue?

My open guns have never broken ever and i have seen quite a few of other open guns, mainly the ones starting with A's and B breaking, cracked slides, broken barrels etc, STI DVC was a buy one get it replaced 3 or 4 times before you get pissed and sell it.

17 minutes ago, DirkD said:

I have plenty of guns, but don't see a need to rotate the inventory when it comes to what I shoot for practice and matches.  That's currently a 5.4 Infinity Limited gun with probably 70k+ through it.  I replaced the extractor with an AFTEC when it was brand new, and other than that, the only parts I've had to replace are one firing pin and recoil/fp springs, the latter being routine maintenance. 

20 minutes ago, Sarge said:

I expect anything mechanical to break. If a gun breaks Sunday at your local it’s no big deal. Travel to a major and it breaks half way through the match and it’s a big deal. I have two Open guns but I have never needed to switch in 5 years. I loaned one out at a local when a buddy had his break though.😊

Yeah, I get that.  If I was going to the Nationals or something like that, I'd probably bring a spare.  But other than a slide, frame or barrel, pretty much anything else can be repaired or replaced on the spot in a matter of minutes.  So chances of having to switch to a different gun are close to zero.  At least for a Limited or Production gun.  For something with a dot, I guess it make sense to have a spare in case the optic goes down. 

I think people are using the word broken for different things. For me broken means the gun has stopped being reliable. Be it a malfunction every stage, broken sight, or what ever. Not a mag issue or ammo issue but the gun itself. I dont want to be wasting time fiddling with swapping parts from a bin into the gun, then hoping it fixes it in the middle of a match. That is time wasted, and not concentrating on the next stage or being in the match mindset. Thus I have two guns, sometimes three if I bring them all. 

As for the "A" named builders.... or any builders. They ALL break. Every single company that produces a 2011 variant has had broken guns with their name on them. Sure your specific one hasnt ever failed but that's a sample of one. As for the comment about Atlas not building a quality open gun.... I disagree. I dont own any of his guns but I do shoot with a few guys who shoot atlas open guns and have watched theirs run 100% on a steady diet of 9major for a long time. He made a buisness decision that was right for his chosen market. Sell one open gun, or 10 of the tactical type 2011s.... what would you choose if you had a family to feed? On top of that go ask SV for a 9 major open gun.... they wont do it. Or at least wouldnt last time I checked. As for who is taking home the HOA at big matches... those small faction of the total USPSA shooters could take that same prize with probably almost any reliable gun on the market. 

12 hours ago, DirkD said:

what do you mean it went down?

Did it break or you had problems with it from a mag, spring, extractor, ammo or other minor issue?

My open guns have never broken ever and i have seen quite a few of other open guns, mainly the ones starting with A's and B breaking, cracked slides, broken barrels etc, STI DVC was a buy one get it replaced 3 or 4 times before you get pissed and sell it.

Extractor hook broke at like 7k rounds.  A buddy's SV open gun shot the reverse plug out the front of the gun during a major.  My point is, like has been said, no matter the brand, that all will break at some point.  There is a  difference between "not running" and breaking.

3 hours ago, Bakerjd said:

I think people are using the word broken for different things. For me broken means the gun has stopped being reliable. Be it a malfunction every stage, broken sight, or what ever. Not a mag issue or ammo issue but the gun itself. I dont want to be wasting time fiddling with swapping parts from a bin into the gun, then hoping it fixes it in the middle of a match. That is time wasted, and not concentrating on the next stage or being in the match mindset. Thus I have two guns, sometimes three if I bring them all. 

As for the "A" named builders.... or any builders. They ALL break. Every single company that produces a 2011 variant has had broken guns with their name on them. Sure your specific one hasnt ever failed but that's a sample of one. As for the comment about Atlas not building a quality open gun.... I disagree. I dont own any of his guns but I do shoot with a few guys who shoot atlas open guns and have watched theirs run 100% on a steady diet of 9major for a long time. He made a buisness decision that was right for his chosen market. Sell one open gun, or 10 of the tactical type 2011s.... what would you choose if you had a family to feed? On top of that go ask SV for a 9 major open gun.... they wont do it. Or at least wouldnt last time I checked. As for who is taking home the HOA at big matches... those small faction of the total USPSA shooters could take that same prize with probably almost any reliable gun on the market. 

They are showing 9mm Open guns on FB again. Smart on their part because 9 out of 10 Open guns are 9’s these days.

2 hours ago, Sarge said:

They are showing 9mm Open guns on FB again. Smart on their part because 9 out of 10 Open guns are 9’s these days.

Broken to me is when a slide breaks or some other catastrophic damage happens, an extractor breaking is not a major issue, it is bad if during a stage but easily fixed, blown up 9 major guns are not uncommon. 

Why do people shoot 9 major instead of super or supercomp? 

1 minute ago, DirkD said:

Broken to me is when a slide breaks or some other catastrophic damage happens, an extractor breaking is not a major issue, it is bad if during a stage but easily fixed, blown up 9 major guns are not uncommon. 

Why do people shoot 9 major instead of super or supercomp? 

Because they don't want to pick up their brass.  If I ever have an open gun built, it will definitely be 9mm major.

6 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

Because they don't want to pick up their brass.  If I ever have an open gun built, it will definitely be 9mm major.

9 major guns suck compared to super and supercomp, the only reason people shoot 9 major is brass.

Never a problem with any of my open guns they always run, are flatter than 9.major dot doesn't move like a 9 major gun does.

I don't care about brass it is part of the game, I prefer reliability and performance over saving a little money on brass

SV makes mostly super and supercomp open guns for a reason

1 hour ago, DirkD said:

9 major guns suck compared to super and supercomp, the only reason people shoot 9 major is brass.

Never a problem with any of my open guns they always run, are flatter than 9.major dot doesn't move like a 9 major gun does.

I don't care about brass it is part of the game, I prefer reliability and performance over saving a little money on brass

Most 9MAJOR guns I see run just as good as a 38. “A little money on brass?” I have around 40k pieces of 9mm brass. All was free except for 10k I paid $20 per k for it. I refuse to be like 38 shooters who don’t even pay attention to scoring because they are more worried about picking up brass.

28 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Most 9MAJOR guns I see run just as good as a 38. “A little money on brass?” I have around 40k pieces of 9mm brass. All was free except for 10k I paid $20 per k for it. I refuse to be like 38 shooters who don’t even pay attention to scoring because they are more worried about picking up brass.

This 👆, 100 % agree ... Put a deposit with svi for 9mm major a month ago😁

4 hours ago, DirkD said:

The Biggest reason by far is that all 38 brass is decent, there are what 3 or 4 manufacturers of 38 and a few less of rimless versions, and all of them are fine quality.

9mm there are probably well over 20  you can find on the range any given day ranging from good to absolute crap. 

want your gun to run as close to 100% as possible use good brass, going to nationals with a 9mm run new brass or at least sorted and roll sized, 38s get the sorted part almost by default.

5 hours ago, DirkD said:

So you knew the answer, but asked the question anyway........and then reiterated the answer to me again?

1 hour ago, MikeBurgess said:

The Biggest reason by far is that all 38 brass is decent, there are what 3 or 4 manufacturers of 38 and a few less of rimless versions, and all of them are fine quality.

9mm there are probably well over 20  you can find on the range any given day ranging from good to absolute crap. 

want your gun to run as close to 100% as possible use good brass, going to nationals with a 9mm run new brass or at least sorted and roll sized, 38s get the sorted part almost by default.

Ding ding ding... Some 9mm guns will run whatever... Most won't.  I've shot 9mm major since they made it practical and( shot 38sc and super before that.) If you run single headstamp once fired 9mm (the advice I got from my gunsmith when I started this) that your gun is tuned for... I doubt you'd notice much difference in reliability.

6 minutes ago, caspian guy said:

Ding ding ding... Some 9mm guns will run whatever... Most won't.  I've shot 9mm major since they made it practical and( shot 38sc and super before that.) If you run single headstamp once fired 9mm (the advice I got from my gunsmith when I started this) that your gun is tuned for... I doubt you'd notice much difference in reliability.

yep, had a friend recently have several failures so he sent his gun back to his builder with a box of ammo, his ammo gave the builder the same issue, the builder then shot a hundred rounds of his own ammo made with sorted properly sized brass and got zero issues, the builder still installed and tuned a new extractor for him anyway but sent the video of it running good ammo 100%

6 hours ago, DirkD said:

Dunno but moat of the 9 major guns I have seen are as reliable as a 38 open gun. And to be very honest almost all of the issues I've seen at a match have to do with mag tuning or ammo issues. Very seldom have I even seen anyone have to go get a backup gun. 

How you know reliability is not a concern: Nobody bothers to say their .38 Supercomp "runs great" or is "as reliable as a 9", it's just how they are. ;)

The biggest problem with 9s is people want to use whatever ratty brass they find on the ground.  9x19's been made in a hundred countries for more than 100 years and is all over the place dimensionally.  38 Supercomp has changed a little over the years, but nothing like as much. 

Shoot good brass and good ammo and most of that's not a thing.

carne custom builds both as does venom custom. Both solid builders that would discuss the potential pros and cons of either style if you want to talk to smiths that actually shoot too.

Pitter-patter...

I've owned an Akai sight block gun it was great. I built an island bbl gun. Started at 6" . Just cut it back to 51/4". 6 seems frt heavy.

Also owned a bunch of 5" guns.

My opinion,  buy what you like the looks of and practice with it. Gun doesn't Matter much as long as it runs.