Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sight block Vs. SVI / Infinity Island barrel

Wiseguy724

Honcho, BUL, Atlas, and other companies have models that feature a sight block with a 5 to 5.5 inch barrel and a commander-ish length slide.

SVI does not offer a comparable setup however they will do a 5.4 with an island barrel and to-order length dust covers.

Is there a reason they don't do a sight block? How would a 5.4 with an island & full dust cover vs. a sight-block feel? Just wondering if there are good arguments to be made for each or are they basically the same?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Wiseguy724 said:

Honcho, BUL, Atlas, and other companies have models that feature a sight block with a 5 to 5.5 inch barrel and a commander-ish length slide.

SVI does not offer a comparable setup however they will do a 5.4 with an island barrel and to-order length dust covers.

Is there a reason they don't do a sight block? How would a 5.4 with an island & full dust cover vs. a sight-block feel? Just wondering if there are good arguments to be made for each or are they basically the same?

I'm not sure why SVI doesn't offer a sight block gun but the sight block is nice to have because it acts as a weight to help eat the recoil.  I dont know how much weight fitting an island barrel to a slide would take off of the slide as compared to a sight block gun but i would be interested if anyone has any comparisons. 

I have a 2011 on the way right now thats fitted for a sight block and the tri-topped slide weights 9.7oz.

My 5 inch infinity slide was quite heavy at 11.8oz. It was cut for an island barrel.

I didn't weigh the barrel when I had it but the top end was 558 grams and the slide alone was 336 grams. Leaving 253 for the barrel and guiderod. 

A stainless guiderod I measured was 53 grams leaving approx 200 grams for the barrel alone. 

A factory STI bull barrel is 174 grams. My tungsten sleeved STI barrel is 248 grams, it has been fit to a standard uncut slide so isn't as heavy as I was expecting when it came back from the gunsmith. 

These are all 5 inch guns chambered in 357 sig.  

Anyone know what a sight block gun weighs from Bul or Atlas? 

Edited by dansedgli

I have a Bul radical 5.4, the total gun weighs 53.5 oz with the metal grip and oversized brass magwell. Was thinking about ordering an 5.4 inch SVI is the reason for the post. I don't have a scale that can weigh the slide accurately but if I get one I'll post up.

I feel like SVI is more resistant to something trendy or hot like sight blocks but I do honestly feel like they work well and aren't just a trend. Purely speculating though as it's the only 2011 I've owned. I'm a pretty thin guy (5'10 and 155-160lbs) and I can hold it pretty flat shooting major .40, I don't know how much of that I can attribute to a sight block, but I'm WAY more inclined to believe it's the gun and not a product of my grip or arm strength, which is lacking compared to most other shooters I meet.

That info should probably have been in my first post!

Edited by Wiseguy724

11 minutes ago, waktasz said:

Strange they won't do it. It's not different than threading on a comp for an open gun.

Some of those brands are doing them as 1-piece barrels also, I'm sure SVI has the equipment to do it whichever way they want.

So I am going on my memory which is admittedly rather lacking. 

Some research can probably verify this info. 

So so a lot of years ago SVI designed the sight tracker pistol that is basically an limited gun with a ribbed barrel. This had the advantages of a lighter slide because of the cutout for the rib and the front sight basically did not move as when mounted on the slide. 

Once all the criteria was was met USPSA approved this limited pistol. 

STI's answer to this innovation was their pistol with the sight block. 

I will I'll not get into which is better/more effective, you can all reach your conclusion. 

I know it's personal preference, but generally, heavy guns can make for sluggish handling.  Proper technique and practice are a better way to control recoil and improve sight tracking.  As for SV, if they're ever going to do a sight block design, I'm sure they'll work out the details and offer that as an option.  But it's not something they're going to do as a one-off request.

2 hours ago, nxfedlt1 said:

I have both 5.4 islands and Atlas nemesis.  I'll put a table together of top end weights, barrel weights and slide weights. 

Sight block shoots softer, island transitions faster. 

That would be a good resource for everyone, thanks for that

I have a 5in Eagle I might turn into a light 6 sight block like Mike Rush's or I might sell that and my TSO and get a 6in island built, but I can't decide between the two. I liked my TSO but miss the transitions from my Eagle.  Getting a bunch of different limited 2011s to play with is a little difficult here in South Dakota. Most people just have Edges/similar or open guns.

6in guns hardly ever come up in the classifieds it seems.

Edited by Midwest3Gunner
Forgot the sentence about the classifieds.

I own both, completely different fill. sight block is much heaver, softer feel, less felt recoil. As previusly mentioned, SVI island barrel is lighter, faster transitions, felt recoil is negligible. I think it all depends on shooting experiance. I like them both for different type of match layouts. 

• 2 months later...

There was a worth watching live stream from Atlas in the next half of 2020 with Atlas and I think Venom Customs where they talk about the Pro's and Con's of island barrels.  I found it interested that Atlas will not make an island barrel for one reason or another about slide strength and deformation, etc.  If i can find the link i'll post it.

24 minutes ago, Bfrisk72 said:

There was a worth watching live stream from Atlas in the next half of 2020 with Atlas and I think Venom Customs where they talk about the Pro's and Con's of island barrels.  I found it interested that Atlas will not make an island barrel for one reason or another about slide strength and deformation, etc.  If i can find the link i'll post it.

Sandy and some of the others at SV are among the best engineers in the firearms industry.  So I highly doubt their island barrel is questionable from a design standpoint.  Pretty much all the problems I'm aware of are due to people who don't know how to build guns properly.

5 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

Sandy and some of the others at SV are among the best engineers in the firearms industry.  So I highly doubt their island barrel is questionable from a design standpoint.  Pretty much all the problems I'm aware of are due to people who don't know how to build guns properly.

Yep people have been building guns with island barrels/hybrid ribs for years.. As long as the parts are of good quality and its fit right there's no problem.  (one of my old open guns had a 4 port hybrid in it and that slide lasted for well over 100k rounds of major ammo)

On 1/8/2021 at 10:56 AM, Bfrisk72 said:

I heard about this podcast or whatever... So I've been told, Adam states that you NEED 2 open guns..  

On 10/28/2020 at 2:33 PM, ltdmstr said:

I know it's personal preference, but generally, heavy guns can make for sluggish handling.  Proper technique and practice are a better way to control recoil and improve sight tracking.

^^^I 100% agree with this statement ^^^

On 1/8/2021 at 10:56 AM, Bfrisk72 said:

how many shooters have won any National or World Championships with an Atlas gun?

The reason Atlas won't do it, is because it is difficult to do it right.

2 hours ago, Bfrisk72 said:

I think he goes on to say you Need 2 open guns, but 3 is better!

Only reason you need 2 guns is if you expect one to break.  I don't have any reason to doubt Atlas build decent guns.  But a comment like that certainly doesn't instill confidence in their work.