Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you need to roll size for a wheel gun?

IHAVEGAS

Have a very tight chambered super gp 100 in 9mm. Use a  Lee U die and pristine moon clips but still have a too high reject rate as far as getting loaded moon clips to drop in like they should. 

If you folks start out with 1 time fired brass from target (not high pressure) ammo does that brass work for many reloads (130 power factor) without roll sizing? 

I have never roll sized my brass. Federal in 929s, all once fired when I get it. Plenty of it has seen over 10 loadings. 

Is it the brass sizing or the brass to clip fit that’s failing? Do you have a moon clip checker to see if it will clear that? 

As Toolguy said check the chambers, plenty of stories about the new 9mm GP100 having them.

Roll sizing might help in the short term but it is something that will need to be done each time for brass you pick up or purchase.

Bringing the Cylinder to proper spec's is a one time solution.

But with that being said with so much 9mm major being shot in such a wide variety of chambers I don't know if anything will solve that issue.

With the low price of 9mm brass you might be well advised to try to get 1x fired brass and/or check the brass before loading it.  

One option if you have a progressive would be to cycle the brass through a resizing station without reloading then check in a chamber gauge before reloading .

You would have to decide which is a better use of your time.

Personally for 9mm, in a semi-auto as I don't have a 9mm revolver, I try to purchase brass in bulk, load it and practice with it after that first use I weed out any with issues and any I use at a match I leave lay.  I have quit picking up 9mm cases at USPSA matches due to 9 major.  Getting that way about 45 acp too, due to SPP.

Edited by pskys2

2 hours ago, MWP said:

I have never roll sized my brass. Federal in 929s, all once fired when I get it. Plenty of it has seen over 10 loadings. 

Is it the brass sizing or the brass to clip fit that’s failing? Do you have a moon clip checker to see if it will clear that? 

Thanks to all, sounds like roll sizing is not needed. 

:) 

I suspect that the clip fit on brass that has been once fired through a bottom feeder and marred by extraction is at least part of the issue. At the moment my moon clip checker is my 929, much that will drop easily into the 929 will not drop into the SGP100. 

I am going to play with some once fired & roll sized federal that I bought recently. May very well end up having the bores opened up on the cylinder but then you get into $'s and if the gun ever breaks I could be hosed when I send it back to Ruger for warranty service with bored out cylinders. 

Again, thanks for all advice. 

I roll-size my 9mm and .40 and it helps quite a bit with the random range mix fodder, but for revo I have dedicated brass I purchased new and it's always separated and used only for revo. It doesn't have to be roll-sized in my setup, but I still do it since the process is fast. 

Remember, roll-sizing removes the bulge at the bottom of the case, which doesn't happen in revolvers. At least not nearly to the extent it happens with semi-automatics. So, if you have in-spec brass and you only shoot it in revolver, chances are roll-sizing is irrelevant. 

Edited by IVC

On 8/14/2020 at 10:37 AM, IHAVEGAS said:

Thanks to all, sounds like roll sizing is not needed. 

Cant hurt, might help.

But I roll size all my brass every time as part of my process.  I cant recall an ammo/brass related malfunction since I started doing this.

On 8/14/2020 at 7:43 PM, AzShooter said:

I use a taper crimp, actually just relieving the bell.  I also use .358 bullets in my 929 and have never had a problem with setback or bullets pushing forward.

If you do not mind, what brass-sizing die-bullet are you using? 

I have something that seems fine for the 929 now (Lee U-die, 160 grain SNS or Bayou 0.358, Winchester brass) but it is interesting to see what others are doing that works. 

On 8/14/2020 at 10:17 AM, MWP said:

MWP, what moonclips do you use for your 929?

On 8/16/2020 at 6:35 AM, IHAVEGAS said:

I have something that seems fine for the 929 now (Lee U-die, 160 grain SNS or Bayou 0.358, Winchester brass) but it is interesting to see what others are doing that works. 

I use the same die in my first position, then a Lyman M die to flare, then powder dump, then Hornady seater, and finally a Lee short colt roll crimp die.  This is for my 9mm stuff and all I change is the sizing die and shell plate when I switch to 38  short colt.

Mark which M die did you use? 9mm or 38SPCL? I couldn’t really get it set up right.  I got it “working” to where it bulged the middle of the case which got corrected by the Lee FCD.  Used it in station 1 on my 650 as my brass is pre-processed.  Think I ended up using the 9mm die with 38SPCL plug.  And once the plug got stuck in a case.  That took some effort to remove without doing damage.

Ditched it when I went to the MarkIV revo.  Now Using the Lee universal case expansion die with the new UniqueTek 9mm funnel for .358 coated.  Runs like a champ.

It's the 9mm M die and it is in the second station on my Hornady L&L. I have quit using the FCD and am using the 38 SC roll crimp in my 5th and final station. If what you are using now is working I wouldn't change.

Edited by mchapman

18 hours ago, MikeyScuba said:

Now Using the Lee universal case expansion die with the new UniqueTek 9mm funnel for .358 coated.  Runs like a champ.

I appreciate that you’re the sole reviewer of the funnel. Haha.

I’m having a hell of a time shaving my coatings.

To be clear you 1.) size 2.) Lee neck expand 3.) powder drop 4.) seat 5.) crimp?

53CB4289-BF1A-4C08-B49D-A74EBDF8BE40.jpeg

I'm running 9 stations using my pre-processed brass (clean, rollsize, deprime and size then clean again)

1st Deprime (just in case one got missed)

2nd Lee 9mm U die without decap pin + swage

3rd Holddown die and prime

4th Lee Uni. Case expansion die with UniqueTek 9mm for .358" funnel

5th Powder drop

6th Powder check die

7th Mr Bulletfeeder

8th Lee seating die with custom made stem

9th Lee FCD

On my 650 I played with various things but it wasn't until I upgraded to a Mark7 I got the new funnel.  I did occasionally get scraping with the 650 and even still the odd one on my new machine.  Strangely I seemed to get a case where the bullet wouldn't drop in.  So I'd take a round fit it in and pull the handle.  Made a mess.  It seemed as if the case was either undersize or didn't get enough flare or probably both.  It was quite a rare occurrence so I never bothered looking into it much.  Whenever it happened I never did stop to ditch the case I always scrapped the s**t out of the round.

I appreciate that you’re the sole reviewer of the funnel. Haha.

I’m having a hell of a time shaving my coatings.

To be clear you 1.) size 2.) Lee neck expand 3.) powder drop 4.) seat 5.) crimp?
53CB4289-BF1A-4C08-B49D-A74EBDF8BE40.thumb.jpeg.d933f9c72d2d5309876675e9bd7f5831.jpeg
You need to flare case mouth a bit more with lead bullets, coated or uncoated.

--
Pat Jones
Firestone CO
USPSA #A79592