Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Minor....Shadow 2

Stafford

Purchased a Shadow 2 because I liked the gun. Had tried it at the range and decided I was getting one and moving to Production. In my first matches, I had shot a couple of my polymer striker fired pistols in Limited Minor. I had decided to stick with 9mm, didn’t want to trick out a pistol for Limited, and had no experience with optics. And, of course, I really, really liked the Shadow 2. So, Production was the class for that gun and me.

So, 6 months later... there’s no one shooting Production. I’d considered shooting Limited Minor again at my local match for fun. Even though I had committed to the division that goes with the Shadow 2. 

At a match today,  the RO told me I should just get out of Production and shoot Limited Minor with the Shadow 2. I told him that I have a stock Glock 22 and he just shook his head. Said to get some baseplates for the S2 and quit worrying about reloads and go faster. 

His reasoning - A’s and steel are all scored the same. He said I shot A’s enough not to worry about the C’s and D’s. And that I would score higher overall. So, I looked at the entries of my most recent matches, and there are as many or more people shooting Limited Minor as are shooting Production. 

It all depends on what you want to do.

Everything else being equal you'll always be at a disadvantage to someone shooting Major.

A large chunk of people who shoot just club matches shoot Limited minor. Our club is the same and most of those people aren't even uspsa members. They're just gun club members and like the match.

If you ever want to shoot bigger matches and be competition in your class you basically have to shoot major. The scoring advantage for Limited is just too much to over come.

If all you want to do is have fun at club matches and shoot your Shadow 2 there's nothing wrong with minor in Limited.

You could also consider setting it up for a dot and running in Carry Optics.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Right now, I’m content for local matches. Because I don’t really know what else is out there. And I’m not that competitive anyway. The RO told me, “I don’t know who told you to shoot Production, but they’re an idiot”. I didn’t tell him I decided it all on my own!!!

He was actually very helpful and gave me some tips during the day. He was also an experienced competitor who could have kept his opinion to himself.

My guess is that he knew that I would either A. Get a Limited pistol in .40, or B. Get my S2 milled and go CO. He was probably banking on B,  that I’d eventually go to CO since everyone is shooting that now. If I took his advice and added baseplates for Limited, I’d be one step closer to CO without changing calibers.

On 6/20/2020 at 6:01 PM, Stafford said:

And that I would score higher overall. 

of course... but why stop there? shoot PCC or Open so its even higher overall. 

bottom line, nobody cares about overall combined score in Practiscore. that is why its not an option in USPSA website. pick a division and go have fun. 

Edited by Agent #1911

On 6/20/2020 at 7:01 PM, Stafford said:

His reasoning - A’s and steel are all scored the same. He said I shot A’s enough not to worry about the C’s and D’s. And that I would score higher overall.

Practiscore has a "what if" feature.  Use it instead of listening to some random dude who may or may not have a clue about how well (or not) you can do in limited shooting minor

On 6/20/2020 at 6:01 PM, Stafford said:

here’s no one shooting Production

I do find it less fun at local matches when few people shoot your division. That's one thing that drives a person to start looking at overall results. More people to compare yourself with in the results.

Buy two basepads for the mags you have that fit the gauge and shoot Lim minor, realizing it is just for fun. Fun is a good thing.

8 hours ago, RJH said:

limited minor.........still dumb

^This. 
If you don’t care about competition, why do you care if there is no one shooting in the production division? Or your overall placement?

If you care about competition and want to shoot Limited, buy a major gun.

Using the what if function on practiscore is OK but it does not take into account the strategy changes when one starts shooting major power factor. 

5 minutes ago, Stafford said:

Where do I find the what if function? Will I see it while looking at scores from my matches? Or is it a separate page where I input my recent scores in minor and then select for major scoring?

On the practiscore competitor app. It’s not on the practiscore website. You have to buy it. Worth it IMHO

8 minutes ago, Balakay said:

On the practiscore competitor app. It’s not on the practiscore website. You have to buy it. Worth it IMHO

It is on the practiscore website now. At least it's on the one on my computer and I didn't pay for any of it. On my last match I clicked it and going from major to minor cost me about 6%. And dropped me four places in the overalls.

That's why limited minor.........still dumb, just like it is every week when someone ask this question🤣🤣🤣

There is nothing wrong with jumping into limited minor with what you currently have to test the waters. But if you like it and want to be competitive, you'll need a major gun. If you want to have fun shooting with less reloads, then stick with what you have.

On 6/20/2020 at 8:17 PM, Stafford said:

The RO told me, “I don’t know who told you to shoot Production, but they’re an idiot”.

Agreed - the game is hard enough w/o adding the extra mag changes and extra stage planning complexity. .
I'de get 2 x  +4 base pads for stock 17 round mecgars and just shoot limited minor for a while.

I would simply ignore those who say shooting Limited minor is dumb.  You've stated your reasons for staying with 9mm, so go for it.  Limited minor does not guarantee you come in last in your Division.  At the match last Sunday, a Limited minor shooter beat a major shooter, plus an Open major shooter.

You really need three 140 mags, so buy another plus three extended base pads.  Shoot Limited for a while, then decide whether you want to add a dot and go CO.  You shoot CO like Limited, but everyone is scored minor.  Around here a whole raft of shooters moved from Production to CO.  At last Sunday's match, a CO shooter won the match.  Six of the top ten shooters shot CO.  A CO B shooter finished sixth.

I feel like I’ve read this thread before......

I’d rather shoot a G22 with basepads and a spring kit than a full custom Minor gun in Limited. 

OP ...

Just do it! Shoot what you currently have, and more importantly, shoot with what makes you happy! 😁

I saw a few people around my area who made it to B class in Limited shooting minor, and regularly placed 70-80% in the division. Typically that's when they then switched to shooting major. I myself shoot a stock G19 in CO and limited minor. My reason for shooting limited minor 1) Not chasing 4-5 mags on the ground = happiness 2) Don't want to stock 40s&w brass and bullets 3) I think I will know when I hit the ceiling and will consider to go for limited major one day. Why a G19 vs 17/34? Coz I only have 2 glocks and my 26 is too short 🤣

Hope this helps!

On 6/20/2020 at 8:17 PM, Stafford said:

The RO told me, “I don’t know who told you to shoot Production, but they’re an idiot”.

He probably got his clock cleaned in Production and moved on.

If I could still see the front sight with some clarity I'd still be there. 

Edited by SGT_Schultz

16 hours ago, RJH said:

It is on the practiscore website now. At least it's on the one on my computer and I didn't pay for any of it. On my last match I clicked it and going from major to minor cost me about 6%. And dropped me four places in the overalls.

Where's this feature on Practiscore website?  I don't see it.

5 hours ago, Southpaw said:

Where's this feature on Practiscore website?  I don't see it.

I look under my recent events, click on the match i want to look at, and there is an orange bar at the top the scores that has the What Ifs in it.  IDK if it is a permanent feature or whatSSee what we have been working on with results shooter cards and What If scenarios!ee hat have been working on with results shooter cards and What If scenarios!

Edited by RJH

OK, I see it and have gone in to it but don’t know how to use it. How do I change my scoring from Minor to Major to see the diffence?

It seems like it wants me to create a virtual match. I guess what I’d like to do is compare my scores in Production Minor to the Limited Major shooters and see how I’d do if shooting Major. I realize it doesn’t account for the slower speed in Production due to mag changes, but it would give me an idea.

You don't have to create a whole match. Just click on your name in the line below I think you can adjust major in minor there, or maybe type in minor in the search line and it lets you do it. I can't remember and don't have my computer in front of me. That's said I  am about as computer illiterate is a person can be, and by tinkering with it for about 2 minutes I had it figured out, well at least figured out enough to Eliminate a stage or change the power factor. There are probably other options that I didn't use

58 minutes ago, Stafford said:

OK, I see it and have gone in to it but don’t know how to use it. How do I change my scoring from Minor to Major to see the diffence?

It seems like it wants me to create a virtual match. I guess what I’d like to do is compare my scores in Production Minor to the Limited Major shooters and see how I’d do if shooting Major. I realize it doesn’t account for the slower speed in Production due to mag changes, but it would give me an idea.

You click on your name in the What If Scores table, and this similar screen will pop up, you can change Minor <--> Major here, after you change it, click Check What If button you'll see the changes: (sorry if the image is too big, don't know how to resize it smaller)

image.png.4ed7ab4b17d6eab96b1a0b032567b913.png