Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Minor....Shadow 2

Stafford

OK, I’ve got the What Ifs working now. Based on my last three matches, if I shot Limited Major, I would have moved up slightly in the overall standings in 2 of the 3 over my Production or Limited Minor standings. Of course, I might not have been as accurate with major PF ammo. And, I would have been faster running either Limited Minor or Major over Production.

Based on those three matches, it’s a complete wash. And it doesn’t really matter at this point if I run Limited Major or Minor. I’ve got to get better before Major vs Minor will matter that much. In my case, I need to shoot faster. 

23 hours ago, zzt said:

I would simply ignore those who say shooting Limited minor is dumb.  You've stated your reasons for staying with 9mm, so go for it.  Limited minor does not guarantee you come in last in your Division.  At the match last Sunday, a Limited minor shooter beat a major shooter, plus an Open major shooter.

You really need three 140 mags, so buy another plus three extended base pads.  Shoot Limited for a while, then decide whether you want to add a dot and go CO.  You shoot CO like Limited, but everyone is scored minor.  Around here a whole raft of shooters moved from Production to CO.  At last Sunday's match, a CO shooter won the match.  Six of the top ten shooters shot CO.  A CO B shooter finished sixth.

What match ?

I shot at York on Sunday but I didn't know there was another one on the same day

1 hour ago, waktasz said:

What match ?

I shot at York on Sunday but I didn't know there was another one on the same day

Sorry.  Off on my timeline.  The match I was referring to was shot on the 14th, not the 21st.

10 hours ago, RJH said:

I look under my recent events, click on the match i want to look at, and there is an orange bar at the top the scores that has the What Ifs in it.  IDK if it is a permanent feature or whatSSee what we have been working on with results shooter cards and What If scenarios!ee hat have been working on with results shooter cards and What If scenarios!

Found it, thanks!

Hey, not to hi-jack my own thread, but anyone agree based on what I found.... no real difference between Production, Limited Minor, or Limited Major.... meaning it doesn’t really matter what I shoot until I improve.

Seems like we’ve moved elsewhere... Yeah, Limited Major would make a difference overall , but just a bit. So, based on what I’ve seen from What Ifs, I probably need to get to B before it even matters.

2 hours ago, Stafford said:

Hey, not to hi-jack my own thread, but anyone agree based on what I found.... no real difference between Production, Limited Minor, or Limited Major.... meaning it doesn’t really matter what I shoot until I improve.

Seems like we’ve moved elsewhere... Yeah, Limited Major would make a difference overall , but just a bit. So, based on what I’ve seen from What Ifs, I probably need to get to B before it even matters.

You've stated that you're shooting just for fun and that you're not very competitive.  If that's the case, just shoot whatever gun you want in whatever division you feel like and don't worry about it.  If you don't care about being competitive you could shoot a revolver in Open and it wouldn't matter.  If you want to be competitive, then Limited minor isn't the way to go.  But yes, getting better will have a much greater impact on your scores than major vs. minor.

And I'm not sure what you mean by no difference between Production and Limited.  They're different divisions that aren't competing against each other.  You shouldn't be focusing on overall results; instead think of each USPSA match as really 8 separate matches being held simultaneously (for the 8 divisions).

When I said I’m not that competitive, I meant that I’m not comparable to the above average to better shooters at my local matches. I am out to mainly have fun, but I also want to improve.

The no difference between Production and Limited was related to the What If feature. As to the overall standings, it’s hard not to focus on it when looking at scores. Especially if there’s only a few people shooting in your division to compare with.

Major is definitely an advantage but if you have mainly 9mm guns and/or don't want to reload I understand it's a pain in the ass. If you don't want to be stuck with 10 round mags it looks like CO is the only place to play. Maybe that's why it's getting so popular. I definitely wouldn't want to shoot minor in Limited against tough competition, although I did it once last year when I was training up for a series of IDPA state matches. 

I was faster and shot more alphas than the winner, and still lost, because minor (or maybe because I had two mikes 😛 ) 
https://practiscore.com/results/new/80267?q_division=2

Waktasz: You play near the top, where I’m going to be playing near the bottom. But at the bottom end, two shooters shooting minor still topped a few shooting major.

Was this a Limited class only match?

Edited by Stafford

No, I sorted the results for Limited only. You can change it via the dropdown at the top of the screen.

Also, you can't really make any statistical inferences based on the bottom 5 or 10 people at a local match. They are too inconsistent to get any real data from. 

Valid data would be, IMO, that everyone in the top 15 (except me) shot Major. And if I didn't have an IDPA match the next day that I had to shoot my Q5 9mm in, I'd have shot my 40 Major Limited gun.

I’m guessing what I’ll end up trying is switching back and forth between Limited Major (Glock 22) and Minor (Shadow 2) to see if there is a big difference in scoring. However, the guns are so different that I don’t expect that I’ll improve much by shooting major. 

I signed up for Limited Minor for my local indoor match this week. I was the first to sign up and went and looked at squadding this morning. There were four signed up for Production and 10 for Limited, including me. Based on the shooters, maybe 7 will shoot Limited Major and 2 will shoot Minor. Since there was competition in Production this week, I switched back to Production. Had there only been one other shooter in Production, like our last match, I would have stayed in Limited Minor. I don't know if switching back and forth is a good plan, but it keeps it interesting.

Also, a Production M is in my squad and I will  get to see how he runs the stages. Plus, I watched Shooting USA's coverage of the Production Nationals this weekend which showed me how easy it really is.😉

Edited by Stafford