Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Small pistol vs Small rifle primers for major

NOSHMJ

So I have been told 2 different stories by 2 different gun makers.  I am told by one maker that small pistol primers will cause wear to the breach face of the slide.  And the other says either or.  Opinions?

I run Small Rifle. But I have run some CCI small Pistol. Both seemed to seal up fine and the CCI SP didn’t flatten much. Depends a lot on your load.

With loads on the ragged edge,(true that all 9MAJOR loads are not exactly book loads), Softer SPP could flow or pierce under the higher than normal pressures so I would never run Fed SPP.

If running lower pressure 9MAJOR loads rock hard SRP might not seal enough to protect the breach face. But that would be uncommon

you can google breech face erosion and find many threads here on the subject. Some can be quite bad but there also seems to be the thought that the slides are not all created equal.

Small pistol primers have a cup thickness of .017 to .020 and small rifle primers have a cup thickness of .020 to .025.

Read the link below

CHOOSING THE RIGHT PRIMER - A PRIMER ON PRIMERS

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=56422.0

Small Rifle Standard

CCI 400 -thin .020" cup, not recommended for AR15 use by CCI/Speer.  Good for .22 Hornet, .30 Carbine.  See Note 1 at the bottom of the page

NOTE 1:  According to Speer/CCI Technical Services - Both the CCI 550 Small Pistol Magnum and CCI 400 Small Rifle primers are identical in size.  Both primers use the same cup metal and share the same cup thickness.  Both primers use the same primer compound formula and same amount of primer compound.  They can be used interchangeably.

Below you can see the small rifle primers with the thinner cup thickness.

QJM65zp.png

Edited by bigedp51

I use CCI 500 SPP exclusively and have no erosion on any of my guns.  With my 9mm major loads, the primers are not flattened at all.  If I run out of CCI500 I'll use my remaining WSP primers.  I like them too, but a lot of them are oval and stick in the primer fill tube.  I've never used WSPs with my current 9mm major load, so I don't know if they would flow at all or not.

I have used Federal SPP (widely accepted as the softest primers on the market) and have never pierced a primer although I typically load powders on the slower end of the spectrum resulting in lower chamber pressures.  Check out this thread on 9 major component selection:

i run cci small rifle in my 38 sc.  Its basically what everyone said to use when i started loading so thats what i use....i see no reason to change either since they work and my lgs has endless pallets of them

i accidentally bought a bunch of smr magnums too and they seem to run fine with 38sc as well

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2020 at 2:05 PM, bigedp51 said:

Small pistol primers have a cup thickness of .017 to .020 and small rifle primers have a cup thickness of .020 to .025.

Read the link below

CHOOSING THE RIGHT PRIMER - A PRIMER ON PRIMERS

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=56422.0

Small Rifle Standard

CCI 400 -thin .020" cup, not recommended for AR15 use by CCI/Speer.  Good for .22 Hornet, .30 Carbine.  See Note 1 at the bottom of the page

NOTE 1:  According to Speer/CCI Technical Services - Both the CCI 550 Small Pistol Magnum and CCI 400 Small Rifle primers are identical in size.  Both primers use the same cup metal and share the same cup thickness.  Both primers use the same primer compound formula and same amount of primer compound.  They can be used interchangeably.

Below you can see the small rifle primers with the thinner cup thickness.

QJM65zp.png

Why would you post this, now I have to go measure my primers.  JK

I use both SPP SRP in my loads for both 38 SC STI and Atlas pistols 

On 5/22/2020 at 1:05 PM, bigedp51 said:

I asked CCI in August 2016 whether the 400 small rifle and 550 small pistol magnum were the same.  They replied: 

". . .  they are not the same primer, there are differences in the primer and you should follow published loading data. The web has some very dangerous information on it and anything that you use should be published and tested data.

. . . primer specifications are proprietary information and not available to the public. There is differences in the mix." 

Justin M./Technical Service Rep.
2299 Snake River Ave.
Lewiston, ID 83501
Alliant/Blazer/CCI/Speer

7 hours ago, superdude said:

I asked CCI in August 2016 whether the 400 small rifle and 550 small pistol magnum were the same.  They replied: 

". . .  they are not the same primer, there are differences in the primer and you should follow published loading data. The web has some very dangerous information on it and anything that you use should be published and tested data.

. . . primer specifications are proprietary information and not available to the public. There is differences in the mix." 

Justin M./Technical Service Rep.
2299 Snake River Ave.
Lewiston, ID 83501
Alliant/Blazer/CCI/Speer

That’s exactly the answer I would have expected.

For many years I have only used small rifle primers, for all my handguns and all my rifles, that use small primers. Save me a lot of time and money.  I don't have to invest in small pistol primers at all. Also I do not have to worry about accidentally getting a small pistol primer in one of my rifles.

Edited by usmc1974

• 2 months later...

Anyone had issues doing this in 9mm minor? I have a bunch of SRPs (magtech and winchester if that matters) but I can’t find SPP anywhere, at least not for a reasonable price. I’d be running 125 or 147 gr coated bullets and either tightgroup or sport pistol.

3 minutes ago, mkmckinley said:

Anyone had issues doing this in 9mm minor? I have a bunch of SRPs (magtech and winchester if that matters) but I can’t find SPP anywhere, at least not for a reasonable price. I’d be running 125 or 147 gr coated bullets and either tightgroup or sport pistol.

You run a slight risk of breech face erosion because there won't be enough pressure to seal the primers in place when fired. Maybe......