Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production pistol for small hands

I second the SP 01 with thin LOKs. My small hands measure 7 1/4 inches from base of palm to tip of index finger and the SP 01 fits great. One thing I did do is reverse the mag (or clip) release so I can use my right index finger to drop the mag (clip). This easily allows me to keep the barrel downrange and not break 180 on reloads. 

5 hours ago, Russty said:

I second the SP 01 with thin LOKs. My small hands measure 7 1/4 inches from base of palm to tip of index finger and the SP 01 fits great. One thing I did do is reverse the mag (or clip) release so I can use my right index finger to drop the mag (clip). This easily allows me to keep the barrel downrange and not break 180 on reloads. 

My hands are also 7 1/4” and I can shoot most guns easily. I measured all gun hands, three daughters and one wife.

3) were 6” base of Palm to tip of trigger finger tip

1) was 6 1/2.

22 hours ago, theautobahn said:

M&P with small backstrap. That's what my 11 year old is shooting this year. And an Apex FSS trigger puts the trigger closer to the grip to reduce reach.

Thanks we will look at this.

I took my wife to a range that rents pistols and had her shoot a mag or two from a whole bunch of pistols, to see if there was one that 'spoke' to her.  There were pistols that felt good to her that she couldn't shoot well with, and others that she was very accurate with but hated the feel.  

Don't do what us guys are so tempted to do- buying a pistol that we think will fit and that we think is cool and being like, "here honey, this is what you are stuck with".  I'd freaking hate it if someone else decided what I shot.  If you want them to get into the sport or into shooting, let them decide based on their own test drives.    

My wife has very small hands. I had her try pretty much every option (couldn't find a Walther SF though) in the hunt for something that would work well for her for 3-Gun and general fun shooting. The SP-01 with thin LOK grips fit her hand the best. I bought Cajun parts and did the SAO conversion, which made the trigger reach manageable and made the pistol ideal for competition. I would have preferred to start with a Shadow 2, but its grip was larger. She went from being pretty awful with a pistol to being pretty decent. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/6/2020 at 11:55 PM, JimmyZip said:

My hands are also 7 1/4” and I can shoot most guns easily. I measured all gun hands, three daughters and one wife.

3) were 6” base of Palm to tip of trigger finger tip

1) was 6 1/2.

I am in the same boat in trying to find a good handgun for 3 gun.  I have really small hands for a guy at 6 1/2" . I am new to comp shooting but a long time gun owner.  The comments in this post are useful.  I have always like Walthers for their grip and have a PPS as my EDC.  I always felt Glocks were to fat in the grip and my shooting suffers.  My favorite is a Springfield 1911 EMP which really fits my hand well but will only hold 10 rounds and is  4" barrel.  This has made me start to look for a gun other than a Glock for 3 gun.  I settled on a CZ75 SP-01 which I just purchased and should be here next week.  I had a hard time finding one online yet alone in a shop to see and hold so it is good to hear that gun fits small hands well.

• 3 weeks later...

I posted about this in the CZ section.  I got the SP-01 and yes it fits my hand much better than a Glock but no where near as well as a Shadow 2.  I was going to mod the Sp-01 but by the time I was done with it I would have had the same money into it without the ergonomics of the S2 so I am again upgrading. 

On 6/12/2020 at 12:53 PM, Jester560 said:

My wife has very small hands and she shoots and carries a Sig P365 and it fits her perfectly.

In contrast, She also has no issues with my Canik TP9SFx. She shoots and handles it very well.

I agree I had one of those in my hands the other day and it does fit well with smaller hands.

Agree with everyone - CZ SP01 Shadow with thin grips or a little more budget friendly - the M&P with the smallest grip insert.  The main additional advantage of the CZ is you can get the Shadow 2 mag release paddle and keep it legit in production for small hands.  The one downside to the CZ is that first double action shot is a little long to reach the trigger for smaller hands, where the M&P is easier and more consistent as a striker fired for newer shooters. The last pro to the M&P is the weight being lighter.  My opinion is for newer shooters the lighter pistol is easier on transitions and the benefit of a heavier gun to reduce felt recoil is not as beneficial since they will probably shoot longer splits anyway.  They'll probably make up more time on controlled transitions and movement than splits if they want to game it!

If they really get into the game though, you may need to upgrade ;).

Just my 2 cents

5 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

Jericho 941, just like a Stock II, but smaller grip: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/872801085

How hard would it be to turn one of those into a decent match gun?  I was thinking that might be a fun project.  Are parts available for it to give it an improved trigger, sights, etc.?  And are ambi safeties available for it?

3 hours ago, Southpaw said:

How hard would it be to turn one of those into a decent match gun?  I was thinking that might be a fun project.  Are parts available for it to give it an improved trigger, sights, etc.?  And are ambi safeties available for it?

I'm not positive on the latest Production rules, but Tanfoglio small frame parts swap into these guns (hammers, disconnectors), they use the same type of trigger plunger system as the Witness pistols, with a long hammer spring like a CZ.  You may not find a perfect competition rear sight, but CZ rear sights can be modified to fit and a FO front sight can be ordered from EAA (I have an extra lying around too).

6 hours ago, Southpaw said:

for sure tanfo parts fit, but with CZ main spring, I had one and swapped top ends with a tanfo small frame.

also if you find a decocker model on these the decockers do not affect the trigger pull negatively like they do on CZs the only compromise is you can't run a aftermarket firing pin.