Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

929 Brass

Timido

Any good head stamp brass you would recommend for 929.  I have about 10 TK moon clips .035      After my speed hammer and trigger work.  The gun runs my Winchester primer 147 reloads pretty good.   I just want to stick with one brass brand that plays well with federal and Winchester primers Dillon 650 without swage.  I've never run Federal primers for fear of blowing up the universe in the 650 

Not sure why you wouldn’t use Federal primers, that’s what almost everyone uses in revolvers, and most in production prefer them as well. 

I use federal 9mm brass and have had very good luck with it in TK .040s, but try a few pieces of each, shouldn’t be hard to test them out. 

Edited by MWP
Spelling

1 hour ago, MWP said:

Not sure why you wouldn’t use Federal primers, that’s what almost everyone uses in revolvers, and most in production prefer them as well. 

I use federal 9mm brass and have Angad very good luck with it in TK .040s, but try a few pieces of each, shouldn’t be hard to test them out. 

^^^^^

This guy knows a thing or two about shooting a revo. 

side note federal primers load just fine, I have crushed many in sidways over the years on my LNL or 1050 like any other prime you could get it to go off but you still need to work at it, They do make a LARGE difference in how light you can run your triggers so they are worth it. 

I find TK are a little looser than DAA moons.  I’m guessing but nickel WIN might be snug but useable with regular WIN probably is the best.

I use Blazer with DAA moons but I do have 30 TK in the mix, it all works.  Plus Blazer is by far the most abundant in the range brass I get.

never an issue with Federal primers,  I have set off 2 Fiocchi non-tox ones in my 650.  

1 minute ago, triplesinglestack said:

I run a929 and use a650 to load. I use federal primers and mixed brass. But my mind are from

Revolver supply.com, I can't remember the thickness but George makes some very high quality moons, not very often have I had a failure.

jason

I talked to George this afternoon.   Great guy had lots of good advise .  I have a couple of his moon clips on the way

One more vote for Federal - both primers and brass. Since your brass is in moonclips, it’s easy to keep track of the brass and you don’t need a huge batch or a special method for sorting. 

Not sure about the concern about blowing up a primer - I’ve had enough of them get crushed sideways in 1050 and none went off. Even if they did, they wouldn’t ignite the column in the primer magazine. Even if they did, it would just launch some pieces into the ceiling. Garage ceilings are overrated anyways... 

48 minutes ago, Tom Freeman said:

I use Win/WCC brass, TK .035 moonclips and federal primers in my 929s. No issues.

Dont forget the BMT loader.

The BMT is rugged enough?

Running the same brass & clips. I miss the BMT I used when I was shooting 45's but was not sure it would work well with the 9mm, strictly based on how much force is required to clip the more honery pieces of brass. 

9 hours ago, IVC said:

One more vote for Federal - both primers and brass. Since your brass is in moonclips, it’s easy to keep track of the brass and you don’t need a huge batch or a special method for sorting. 

Not sure about the concern about blowing up a primer - I’ve had enough of them get crushed sideways in 1050 and none went off. Even if they did, they wouldn’t ignite the column in the primer magazine. Even if they did, it would just launch some pieces into the ceiling. Garage ceilings are overrated anyways... 

I started loading in 1973, progressed from Lee Hand Loaders to Single Stage to 450 to 550 and now a SL1050.  I hope I'm not jinxing myself but the only time I had a primer set off while reloading was in 1974 with the Lee Hand Loader and a 357 magnum.  One strike too many or too hard and the primer went pop shooting the priming rod out of my hand and into my grandparents basement ceiling.  Being young and all pulled the primer punch out and finished up!

Since starting this spring with the 1050, and not being able to feel the primer seat, I've had several crushed into a crimped primer pocket (using the swager even) and sideways, spit out of the machine with anvil separated.  And yet not one has, yet?, detonated.  

But I've seen the pix of those who have so I know it can.  

I've been using Fed Primers since 2000 and can't even begin to count the number of Flats.

The good thing with the Dillons is the Primer Tube has that thick tube on the outside just for safety, in case one does let off.  My bigger worry is having it happen and setting off powder residue, flakes or even the hopper.  Fire worries me more than the primer.  So I try to keep all the powder cleaned up & cover the hopper vent hole with a piece of tape.

I expect it's just a matter of time though?  'cause I'm not going to stop reloading, fear the "jones' of not shooting even more!

Not to steal this thread, but I have question related to brass and moonclips. I just got a 929, 9mm in revolver is strange to me. So I sorted some of my current reloads 125 blue, between federal and win. Both on the same kind of TK moonclip, the standard ones for a 929. The Federal brass jiggle, the Win brass is stiffer. How should you want it? 

1 hour ago, SSGGlock said:

Not to steal this thread, but I have question related to brass and moonclips. I just got a 929, 9mm in revolver is strange to me. So I sorted some of my current reloads 125 blue, between federal and win. Both on the same kind of TK moonclip, the standard ones for a 929. The Federal brass jiggle, the Win brass is stiffer. How should you want it? 

What clips are you using? .035 or .040? Blued or stainless?

I want my moons as tight as possible but can still rotate in the clips. And you always want to use the thickest clips you can, the thinner the clip for more common light strikes are. 

1 hour ago, MWP said:

What clips are you using? .035 or .040? Blued or stainless?

I want my moons as tight as possible but can still rotate in the clips. And you always want to use the thickest clips you can, the thinner the clip for more common light strikes are. 

I am using the TK blued .035. So with federal brass they jiggle a lot, Win brass are fairly tight in them.

I just got the gun two weeks ago and only have 400 rounds in it. It’s completely stock at the moment.

I use TK .040  but have tried the .035 clips as well.   I only run Sig 9mm brass in mine.  picked up 1600 rounds of it from ToddKS here on the forum and another 700-800 from Cabelas.   very happy with it and after probably 10 reloads, I've only had one split case.    Sig Brass,  Federal 100 primers, N320 or 231, and blue Bullets .358 147gr projectiles.

In the Starline moons, the sig brass is quite rigid.

On 5/2/2020 at 10:03 AM, IHAVEGAS said:

The BMT is rugged enough?

Running the same brass & clips. I miss the BMT I used when I was shooting 45's but was not sure it would work well with the 9mm, strictly based on how much force is required to clip the more honery pieces of brass. 

It works fine.  I did grind off one of the demooning horns so it only has to knock out one piece of brass at a time.  Makes it much easier.

Filling moons is too easy.

I have around 50 TK moons for my 929 so I load them up well ahead of time and I dont have to worry about loading/unloading them at a match.

On 5/2/2020 at 4:36 PM, SSGGlock said:

Stiffer for him, jiggle for her, but let's not allow our minds to wander... 🙂

On a serious note, I use 0.040 with Federal and it seems just right. What you want is a small amount of movement to help with lining up against the charge holes, but not too much. If I had to choose, I'd choose tighter fit since too much slows down the reload. Another consideration that someone mentioned above is that the thicker moonclip puts brass closer to the firing pin and, at least in theory, it helps with ignition. In practice, I haven't noticed the difference - if you're running your trigger so light that 0.005 makes a difference, you're playing too close to the edge anyways. It's like loading to 126 PF - even if you can keep it consistent, there is no point since you can't tell the difference from 130+ anyways...

On 5/2/2020 at 8:58 PM, ysrracer said:

Also not to hijack the thread, but my 929 barrel measures .357 which is the same as my 627.

I saw a video by JM shooting the 929 and he said all the barrels were .355?

10 hours ago, Tom Freeman said:

It works fine.  I did grind off one of the demooning horns so it only has to knock out one piece of brass at a time.  Makes it much easier.

Filling moons is too easy.

I have around 50 TK moons for my 929 so I load them up well ahead of time and I dont have to worry about loading/unloading them at a match.

👌Yep, don't have to worry about stepping on one just a little and not noticing it, until you try to drop it in during a stage!

I did that when I shot the 625 & now with the 627's.