Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

929 Brass

Timido

9 hours ago, ysrracer said:

He was wrong in my case, it's a .357 barrel.

In my case if I try to shoot 9mm coated bullets (.356) the barrel leads up bad, I start shooting curve balls, and the barrel is stubborn to clean. 

If I shoot 357/38 coated bullets (.358) all is good. 

Had some problems with Star line brass sticking in my 929 (???).  Winchester, Blazer and Federal brass works fine....with the same bullet and load.

Winchester seems to work best with .035 moons.  My barrel slugged at .357 and with 147 grain or 160 grain .358 coated bullets I get great accuracy and no leading .

Edited by Batmo

12 hours ago, ysrracer said:

He was wrong in my case, it's a .357 barrel.

Oh I don't doubt you (& I think most who have posted have seen the same thing), he is probably parroting the company line.  Just thought it was curious.

5 hours ago, Tom Freeman said:

Both of mine were some of the first ones out the door.  I wonder if something changed.

Curious, let's consider the use of the 929 is mostly competition.  It's easier to find RN bullets in .355-.356, yet cannelure grooves are found in .357-.358?  

RN are better for our sport, cannelures are better for heavier loads though many in competition like them.

S&W seems to never worry about competitors and focus on the general public, probably a good business model.

Is there a reason in there, coincidence, or just a whatever thing?

It would be nice to know for sure, if I was in the market for a 929.  I'm not.

Edited by pskys2

We make RN No Lube Groove (RN-NLG)  Bullets  Bang and Clang.  So do many of the suppliers.  Black and Blue, Bayou, SNS, Missouri Bullets to name a few.

The beauty is no lube groove means also no crimp groove and you can seat anywhere you like.  With in reason.

We have MANY customers shooting 358 size bullets in a 9MM.  You need to find what your gun likes best.

The goal is to keep reducing the bullet diameter as the bullet leaves the casing.

Crimp is larger that throat,  throat is larger than barrel.

If the openings ever get larger as a round is fired then the bullet tumbles.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2020 at 1:54 PM, Timido said:

Any good head stamp brass you would recommend for 929.  I have about 10 TK moon clips .035      After my speed hammer and trigger work.  The gun runs my Winchester primer 147 reloads pretty good.   I just want to stick with one brass brand that plays well with federal and Winchester primers Dillon 650 without swage.  I've never run Federal primers for fear of blowing up the universe in the 650 

Dont be afraid of Federal primers. I crushed these two Fedeal 100 primers a couple of weeks ago. Nothing happened.

20200519_193823.thumb.jpg.336b1d42ca76b8cb152814463679e530.jpg

As far as Brass, for the 929, I have a box with 4K casings, all mixed, Geco, Blazer, Win and like 5 or 6 other head stamps. They all run fine, no issues. 

I tried aluminum and steel casing as well (Blazer), and had 0 issues. 

I run several moonclips, TK, whatever came with the gun and a few I found online. They all work fine. 

And, I shoot 160 Bayou standard, I think they are .355 or .356. 

I have had 0 issues, accuracy is great. 

Edited by Pnut

On 5/19/2020 at 6:38 PM, Pnut said:

Dont be afraid of Federal primers. I crushed these two Fedeal 100 primers a couple of weeks ago. Nothing happened.

I can remember 3 times where I've ignited primers while reloading, scares you and likely makes your right ear ring. I am not sure the brand/hardness would make any difference as far as likelihood to ignite. I'm surprised that at least one the two in the picture did not go off. 

• 9 months later...

My 929 seems to have a narrow cylinder to firing pin gap and it never binds up with a Federal brass and .035 moon clip combo. I started using Federal primers years ago on my Vaquero after installing a light hammer spring and they worked so well in the gun and press I started using them in my 9mm ammo too..... Good thing because all that have been available around here lately are the Federal match sp primers and they have gone up to $65/1000. 

Wondering ... how are y’all crushing primers?

Edited by windfred

52 minutes ago, ysrracer said:

No, but I just ordered one. I'll try it out going forward.

My loads (Winchester brass, 160 grain 0.358 sns coated) had bullet creep. Going from the Dillon sizing die to a Lee U die seems to have fixed it in my case.