Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How big of a bench

Starting to reload.   Getting the necessary equipment from my step dad to get going and expect I will update and upgraded along the way.  

he built a bench, that turned out to be to small, so I am looking to start right.   I don’t have unlimited space but have the room to set up something in the basement and want a dedicated area for reloading.   So how big a space should I being planning on and how big a bench should I build to accommodate a decent  reloading   Operation.  Do you prefer standing or sitting?  Thx

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just recently re-built my bench. I was working off a homemade table that was about 4.5 feet before made for when we lived in a town home. I built mine in the basement and went with 8 ft overall. It's more room than I need, but I like that I can work on/clean guns on the other end or anything as needed.

final.jpg.f82e85744f749cd057d43d515256eaab.jpg

I have a six foot bench bolted to the wall and two shelves mounted to the bench about 6" deep.  Plenty of room for a 1050, Mark VII autodrive, RF100 and stripped down LnL for sizing, bullet pulling etc.  The shelves are worth their weight in gold: beam scale, tools, micrometer, backup electronic scale, ...  I mounted LED strip lights under the leading edge of the shelves.  The lower shelf is a great place to store a few hundred pounds of bullets for stabilizing the bench.

6' is good for me with 2 presses 550/650. But I clean guns,store brass and loaded rounds elsewhere. I sometimes setup a 4' folding table to throw stuff on if I'm doing big run

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, m700 said:

6' is good for me with 2 presses 550/650. But I clean guns,store brass and loaded rounds elsewhere. I sometimes setup a 4' folding table to throw stuff on if I'm doing big run

Ditto.  I built a 10'x10' room in the garage and have the reloading bench along one wall and a second, permanent bench for gun cleaning, etc.  A 6' bench with a few presses would be too small for working on anything but a handgun.  Bench top is two 3/4" plywood layers screwed and glued together.  Magnetic tool holders work great for pliers, allen wrenches and a set of stubby open/ wrenches.  Can't recommend those stubby guys highly enough for working in tight places.

Edited by RickT

1 hour ago, anbrumm said:

I just recently re-built my bench. I was working off a homemade table that was about 4.5 feet before made for when we lived in a town home. I built mine in the basement and went with 8 ft overall. It's more room than I need, but I like that I can work on/clean guns on the other end or anything as needed.

final.jpg.f82e85744f749cd057d43d515256eaab.jpg

solid looking bench there!. Im planning on rebuilding my bench Friday and had something similar in mind. 

Two questions:

1) what did you use for the top on yours?

2) I see that you mounted yours straight to the table without the strong mount, I'm wanting to do the same. was there enough space there for the mounting holes or did you have to do something goofy to get around the top horizonal 2x4?    

solid looking bench there!. Im planning on rebuilding my bench Friday and had something similar in mind. 
Two questions:
1) what did you use for the top on yours?
2) I see that you mounted yours straight to the table without the strong mount, I'm wanting to do the same. was there enough space there for the mounting holes or did you have to do something goofy to get around the top horizonal 2x4?    
I was going to do double 3/4 plywood top with 1/4 birch, but my uncle had recently built a bench where he used 2x10 for the top. We did that with 1/4 solid core wood on top.

I did mount to the bench due to height reasons in my basement. The way we built it is the 2x4 of the frame is on the inside of the 4x4 legs. So the front mounted up no problem, but the back ones are lagged into the 2x4 frame. 5b89f561fe3f2c2d40d69df63d533143.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.   I should have mentioned I have another bench for general purposes so this would be solely for     reloading.   I like the idea of combining it with gun cleaning and maintenance though.

I am think 4’ x 8’ with the rear most foot dedicated to tool storage and shelves.  That gives me 3’x8’ of work space.   

probably build with a 2x4 frame.   For a top I plan to use 3/4 plywood and a sheet of MDF with a few coats of varnish.  I have done this with other benches with the MDF being sacrificial.   I replace it after a few years when it gets chewed up to badly.  

0.thumb.jpg.ed6947ace6077bf69ea5fcd5549df01f.jpg

This is a 10x10 room that had some built in shelving already. I started with the L shaped benches on the right and then grew into the one on the left overtime.Benches are all 30 inches deep. I made them so you could disassemble them via carriage bolts. I also have adjustable feet for my unlevel foundation. :roflol:

I built a 2x6 bench with 4x4 legs and 2x6 frame. Two sheets of 3/4 ply glued and screwed. Lagged to the wall. 

It fits a 650 and RL1100 but may need more space for the AmmoBot. 

Next one will be one of these, or at least the top. https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-1137-MAP/Industrial-Packing-Tables/Industrial-Packing-Table-72-x-30-Maple-Top-with-Rounded-Edge

Instead of mdf you can go hard board with a shiny side saves having to varnish and may last longer.

I have a garage workshop I have one bench top that's 3/4 ply layered with a piece of mdf. It's great for laydown and very light work
I have 2 3x6 double ply top benches which are harder but will still get beat up.
Butcher block seams to be best bet for a permanent bench.

2 hours ago, anbrumm said:

I was going to do double 3/4 plywood top with 1/4 birch, but my uncle had recently built a bench where he used 2x10 for the top. We did that with 1/4 solid core wood on top.

I did mount to the bench due to height reasons in my basement. The way we built it is the 2x4 of the frame is on the inside of the 4x4 legs. So the front mounted up no problem, but the back ones are lagged into the 2x4 frame. 5b89f561fe3f2c2d40d69df63d533143.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Just what I needed to know!

Thanks!!!

I used two 3/4" plywood with the bottom being construction grade and the top being sanded, one side good.  Ended up with 3'x6' of usable space.  Also used a heavy covering of water based urethane which was god awful.  Didn't sand and is definitely not waterproof.

Edited by SnipTheDog

The best answer is: go as big as you reasonably have room for. No one ever said "man I wish I had less workspace". 

I recently built a bench in my basement for reloading, and went with 8' long, 33" deep. I built a shelving hutch for the back, for things I wanted to keep close at hand, and shelves underneath. (Again, no one ever said I wish I had less storage space).

I'd recommend going bigger than you think you'll need, so you have room to expand. You don't want to wish you had built it bigger, or be rebuilding a bench in 12-24 months from now. 

I built mine out of 2x4 framing, 4x4 legs, and a double 3/4" laminated plywood top. Painted, and then 4-5 coats of polycrylic. Durable, but cheap. 

Build pictures here: https://imgur.com/a/Y0P6hP74qZ03Lx.jpg9ilNT7H.jpgEHBvMfU.jpg

Edited by Crash-7
Added link

Mine is 24" deep x 76" long x 32 1/2 high.  I have a Dillon 550 on a strong mount on one end and a RL-1050 direct mounted on the other end.  The middle is used for gun cleaning, etc.  If I had to do it over again I'd make it 36" deep and maybe 84" long.  I sit on a 29" high stool so the height is fine for me.  Bench space is like ammo, nobody every said, "I've got too much!"

Biggest damn bench you can accommodate !.....no one ever built a shed “ toooo big”.

I used 2 sheets 3/4” Finished plywood glued and screwed underneath for the top. 3 coats of quality satin poly sanded between each coat. Hey, you’ll only do this once. Do not...repeat do not use any type of WATER BASED poly...it’s total crap.

Base 4x4 bolted to 2x6 stringers.....plumb and level....find some way to attach bench to wall or wall studs.

Pleanty of electric outlets and maximin quality lighting!

best of luck.........

All these big benches...

I used to load on a massive 24x48 inch table, and it was great. But loading in the garage’s summer heat wasn’t fun.

This 20x22” welded steel table with an oak hardwood top has worked out great! I built it to allow me to load inside - in the guest bedroom’s closet. With the shelves positioned next to it, I had plenty of workspace and storage.

https://instagram.com/p/Bpi5oGcFe-v/

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I use a small Sjoberg woodworking bench (24" x 60") and have 3 presses on it.  My 1050s are attached to 12"x12" steel plates.  Overall, the bench is a bit on the tight side. Also, I found that you need to fasten your bench to the wall unless it weighs over 1,000 pounds.

20200321_152038.jpg