Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CJ Maven

Soupcann

Hello,

New guy here. I’ve read through several previous threads, but I wanted to reach out for any new opinions. 

I’m considering sending in my SPO1 for some trigger work. Everything I’ve read about CJ Maven in Arkansas has been positive. I’m just looking for any opinions on the following:

1. Any reason to not go with the Villain package? Planned use will be primarily a range toy. 

2. How much additional improvement can be found in the reach reduction?

3. Anything else that I should consider, or anyone else I should look at for this service?

Appreciate the insight. Thank you!

I have used CJ for all my CZ work, always a good job.

I'm not familiar with the villain package, but if you tell him what the gun is for and he recommends it, that is what I would go with.

It seems to me that the 85 trigger provides the most reach reduction, but I could be wrong, CJ will know.

CJ just completed Hero action work on 5 CZ’s I left with him. The Hero is his duty/carry package. The Villain packages is competition tuned although I cannot imagine how it could be any better. The P-01 and SP-01 decockers with his Hero tune make me laugh when I pull the triggers. He is REALLY good on the 75 pistols. He did the same work on a Phantom and a PCR and both are smooooth. He also cleaned up the single action on a P-07 I use it as a Kadet host. His work is superb. And all 5 pistols were completed in 2 weeks!

CJ is also a heckuva nice guy. He will be getting a lot more work from me. You, too, I predict.

9 hours ago, HughB said:

CJ just completed Hero action work on 5 CZ’s I left with him. The Hero is his duty/carry package. The Villain packages is competition tuned although I cannot imagine how it could be any better. The P-01 and SP-01 decockers with his Hero tune make me laugh when I pull the triggers. He is REALLY good on the 75 pistols. He did the same work on a Phantom and a PCR and both are smooooth. He also cleaned up the single action on a P-07 I use it as a Kadet host. His work is superb. And all 5 pistols were completed in 2 weeks!

CJ is also a heckuva nice guy. He will be getting a lot more work from me. You, too, I predict.

Really appreciate the review. This is consistent with everything I have read about the man. I’ll be sending him an SPO1 in a few weeks, and potentially a Shadow 2 as well. I’ll be sure to follow up with my experience in this thread. 

Soupcann - Looking forward to your report. I should add that I did not use aftermarket hammers or triggers. CJ performed his magic on the factory hammer/trigger parts. He replaced springs, added extended firing pin, and installed a solid firing pin retaining pin. He did his reliability job and installed the short reset parts. I visited his shop but I think most of the work is done in a hollow tree. You'll see. When I dropped off my pistols, I felt the action on his personal P-01 that he said he's  been shooting for 15 years. It's the second smoothest P-01 I have handled.

He made mine better than his.

Honestly I'm amazed people are waiting 4,6,8,10+ weeks for smithing work on CZ's when CJ exists. He's doing as nice, if not nicer work than the big names are, his prices are more than fair, and he typically can turn your gun around in 2 weeks or less. He's a great dude. 

Edited by PrimaryBruce

• 1 month later...

Just got my SP-01 back from CJ earlier this week from having the “Villain” trigger package done. Quick turnaround and great communication. Shot it this morning and it’s a different pistol altogether. Very happy with the work. 

Worked next to him at the bench and learned everything just about I know of CZ from him. He's worked for CZ USA, he worked for Mink at AA, he's worked short "apprentice" stints in the Czech factory, he did work for Angus early on. He has a wealth of CZ tuning knowledge. I recommend.

I also think he is B class in Production if you can get him out to a match hahaha.

Edited by rowdyb

7 hours ago, CZGeoege said:

Honestly, it’s nothing you can’t do your self imo.... all those “upgrades” are pretty damn easy... almost as easy as taking your money..

Pretty harsh. I may be willing to try smithing on a Sccy, but not my CZ’s. Maybe one day, but not yet. Happy to use CJ. Probably going to send him my Shadow 2 next.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2020 at 11:08 AM, CZGeoege said:

Honestly, it’s nothing you can’t do your self imo.... all those “upgrades” are pretty damn easy... almost as easy as taking your money..

But look how happy CJ is working on CZs. Who would want to deny that young man that much joy?

On 5/3/2020 at 10:08 AM, CZGeoege said:

its good that people have some skills, but I have heard that tale and seen a box full of parts a week later too many times.

48 minutes ago, eerw said:

its good that people have some skills, but I have heard that tale and seen a box full of parts a week later too many times.

I know of factories who claim to be professionals with the same but  bigger  boxes.😀

Edited by yigal

I have had CJ work on my Shadow and did a wonderful job. I would recommend him to anyone needing gunsmith work or have some cerakote done on your firearm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk