Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA Postal Match.

synchronicity

Our Club shot the Postal Match today.  I shot it with both Revolver and CDP.  I found it to be interesting and the stages to be in general

more fun than the existent classifiers.  The difference  between 6 and 8/9 was surprising, and what I heard from the 10/11 shooters was similar.

All in all good stages and a good match.

Local club is doing it jan 11. Looked at stages and they seemed like standards, not stage stages. So it seemed to boring for me to drive 1 hour each way to shoot about 70 rounds....

But you found otherwise?

46 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

So it seemed to boring for me to drive 1 hour each way to shoot about 70 rounds....

yeah i wouldn't do that.  but...  no rule saying they can't add a few regular stages to up the round count and make the drive worthwhile.

There’s been some chatter on the ole web that they might be using these stages and results as future classifier stages. Maybe they’ll try the USPSA method of classification?

I don’t know if there is any truth behind that but it’s an interesting thought. 

For a match it doesn't look that fun to me. And you have to do it in the winter which kind of sucks depending how far north you live. But I hear you can get nationals points for it. That means if you want to shoot nationals you have to shoot it the maximum number of times you can or you'll start off in the hole.

I'm more looking forward to the Go Fast Don't Suck postal match in the spring and fall. I think they are hoping to do IDPA and USPSA postals this time around.

I looked at the stages, and yes, they are boring.

I hope they don't use any of these for the classifier.  They should bring back the old 90 rd classifier as it gave you a better metric of your ability.

31 minutes ago, RePete said:

I looked at the stages, and yes, they are boring.

I hope they don't use any of these for the classifier.  They should bring back the old 90 rd classifier as it gave you a better metric of your ability.

We use the old qualifier for team tryouts on the shooting team.  Before they brought it back I would modify the first group of strings to combine them. They unnecessarily break multiple single target shoots into separate strings etc.  That could be easily combined to speed it up.

I enjoy the differences between IDPA and USPSA, but I prefer the USPSA classifier method.

20 hours ago, RePete said:

April through June/July would have been smarter then everyone could play.

Yep. Seems silly. Around here we'll get maybe one chance to run it, in late March, and then it's over.

If the point of it is to be a winter thing to pass the time then fine, but they are not pushing it as that. I'd rather it be available through the summer so the most people could shoot it. 

The GFDS postal match had like 1700 entries I think. If this has half that I'd be stunned

1 hour ago, perttime said:

There's enough matches in summer anyway. Now they have something for people to shoot locally in winter, while still participating in a wider thing.

So are you saying you think winter is better for this because there are less matches? Seems like it would be the opposite. If there aren't any matches up north for example how will anyone shoot it?

Waktasz- I'm sure BV will run it if you want to drive down here for that.

9 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

So are you saying you think winter is better for this because there are less matches? Seems like it would be the opposite. If there aren't any matches up north for example how will anyone shoot it?

Now all clubs have a reason to run a match in winter, north or south.

4 hours ago, perttime said:

In the north I wouldn't set up a match when there's a foot or more of snow on the range floor, nor at 14 degrees or less.

3 hours ago, RePete said:

In the north I wouldn't set up a match when there's a foot or more of snow on the range floor, nor at 14 degrees or less.

Wimp....

Just use a caliber that doesn't break the bank when you lose some brass.

😎🤣

46 minutes ago, perttime said:

Wimp....

Just use a caliber that doesn't break the bank when you lose some brass.

😎🤣

I don't think so!

When was the last time you helped set up a major match, shoot and work it in -30F weather?  Been there done that, no more.

9 hours ago, perttime said:

That implies that clubs need a reason to run a match. Why do you think there are more matches in the summer up north? It not becasue there isn't a reason, it's becasue no one wants to stand in the snow and freeze there asses off.

At least you know when you venture out to shoot a match in those conditions everyone is dealing with the same thing when you look at the results. But not in a postal match, you'll be in a big coat and boots with as many layers as you can freezing your nuts off standing in snow and trying not to fall when you run. And you'll be competing against some dude in Florida in shorts, T-shirt and a gamer vest.

They are only hurting themselves really, some clubs that would run it wont due to weather. Sucks for them, maybe next time. I'm sure my local club will run it, it'll suck because it'll be cold but we aren't so far north that you can't shoot. Still clubs around here shut down for the winter. I don't have much interest in shooting when it's below freezing that's for sure.

I can see winter from my back yard but otherwise I don't know what you people are complaining about.  Snow is something you see up on a mountain peak while you're outside, in your shorts and t-shirt, tending to the grill.

17 minutes ago, jhgtyre said:

I can see winter from my back yard but otherwise I don't know what you people are complaining about.  Snow is something you see up on a mountain peak while you're outside, in your shorts and t-shirt, tending to the grill.

Ha Ha Ha!  You nob, I snorted when I read this.🤣

5 hours ago, RePete said:

I wouldn't set up a match when there's a foot or more of snow on the range floor, nor at 14 degrees or les

it's been a long time since i lived in that severe of a climate but i usually wouldn't attend a match with any snow on the ground (though I have a few times) or temps less than 40F (though I have probably 12 or so times.) I definitely would never expect anyone to volunteer their time to set up a match in truly crap weather.

I've seen matches cancelled for most weather extremes, cold, rain, lightning, heat index, wind.

Edited by rowdyb