Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aluminum Mag Well Durability

jschweg

Can anyone comment on the durability of the aluminum version of either the S&A or the Wilson Combat SpeedChute 1911 mag wells?

I'd like to switch back to this style as I seem to prefer it over my current Dawson ICE.

I previously had the steel S&A, and loved it, but I need to go aluminum to make weight.

S&A claims that the aluminum version isn't good for high volume shooters, so just wanted to get some input.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The aluminum ones do scar easier but they still last a long time. Some gun parts wear out and have to be replaced over time. Which is really every part on the gun. I’ve yet to wear out a magwell at all so I say go for it

I can’t speak for those two brands, but I had an SV Aluminum magwell that I used and reload practiced on for years and thousands of reps and never came close to wearing it out. It was ugly and gnarly but nothing that would hinder a reload. YMMV

I cant comment on their product but my STI edge has the STI aluminum magwell and I have been shooting weekly with for over 12 years or so and now my son is shooting it and there are some scars (as it is black) but remains functional. No issues, just cosmetic. 

Perhaps what they meant that its not suited for high volume shooting is because it would eventually develop some scars which is cosmetic. May look ugly in the long run but that just means that you have been practicing.

Thanks guys. I don't care about the way it looks, I was more concerned about having to replace them more than I wanted to due to the funnels getting significantly banged up where it would affect something.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• 11 months later...

Worst case scenario, if it gets “ugly enough” cosmetically, you can sand it down and polish it back up... being that it’s aluminum it shouldn’t take more than a little bit of elbow grease to make it look new. 

personally, I like the beat up look... makes me feel like I’m putting in the work to get better!

On 1/4/2020 at 8:48 AM, cheers623 said:

I can’t speak for those two brands, but I had an SV Aluminum magwell that I used and reload practiced on for years and thousands of reps and never came close to wearing it out. It was ugly and gnarly but nothing that would hinder a reload. YMMV

Yeppers!  1911 Al magwell and tungsten guide rod. Makes weight. 10s of thousands of rounds and still works. 

Don't practice reloads with empty mags (use dummies for practice) and aluminum magwells will last long enough that the cost will be negligible compared to all your other shooting costs in the mean time. 

Practicing reloads with empty mags is much harder on the magwell and the mags. 

I ran an aluminum magwell on a Rock Island Pro doublestack for 2.5 seasons and while it showed a little wear it was still just fine. My latest gun has the delrin insert. I dont find either better or worse. My preference is actually the limcat with the steel bottom. 

On 1/4/2020 at 8:48 AM, cheers623 said:

Yeppers, me too. SV rocks.

On 12/26/2020 at 11:39 AM, shred said:

Don't practice reloads with empty mags (use dummies for practice) and aluminum magwells will last long enough that the cost will be negligible compared to all your other shooting costs in the mean time. 

Practicing reloads with empty mags is much harder on the magwell and the mags. 

Better yet, don't practice with a pistol that has a funnel. Get to where you can hit the stock opening consistently and what funnel you use will be of little consequence.