Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig MPX-PCC trigger

32 minutes ago, Jcgatus said:

I agree, no content behind my statement. Lol.

The timney pcc trigger gives me tremendous trigger freeze. At first I thought it was user error(not properly letting my finger off to reset the trigger), but I was able to do it on command. I wasnt the only one experiencing the issue.

Since then, I went and replaced it with a hiperfire trigger, my 4th one.

Thanks for the feedback. Two questions:

1. Which Timney trigger did you have that issue with, the 4.5lb (black housing one that comes with MPX-PCC) or 3lb (the one with the gold/yellow housing)?

And is that trigger reset issue due to too much needed travel to reset, or the push weight? I read one benefit of the hiperfire trigger is the ability to not only adjust the pull, but also the push weight.

2. Your "4th trigger", does it mean you have 4 rifles that u installed one in each, or the MPX crushed them over time that you needed to replace them? 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Sean_ht said:

Thanks for the feedback. Two questions:

1. Which Timney trigger did you have that issue with, the 4.5lb (black housing one that comes with MPX-PCC) or 3lb (the one with the gold/yellow housing)?

And is that trigger reset issue due to too much needed travel to reset, or the push weight? I read one benefit of the hiperfire trigger is the ability to not only adjust the pull, but also the push weight.

2. Your "4th trigger", does it mean you have 4 rifles that u installed one in each, or the MPX crushed them over time that you needed to replace them? 

Its the one with the yellow housing. It came standard with my pcc. It definitely does not reset strongly enough, if that makes sense. This was without any short stroke features.

Sold it and bought my 4th hiperfire. I do preach that hiperfire triggers do a great job kicking out the trigger to reset it faster 

The new phantom trigger from hiperfire costs less, 2lb pull, and fully drop in. It will also work with most stubborn pcc lowers like the colt lower I had 

Edited by Jcgatus

Just picked up a new mpx from bass pro and it came with a decent but extremely heavy trigger, I’m guessing upwards of 7 pounds. Has anyone tried JP reduced power springs? Might just throw in the ELF-SE trigger I have on order and see how long it lasts. 

Edited by 702

This is why I said “yes and no” earlier about whether a MPX/PCC-specific trigger is really needed vs a standard AR trigger in an MPX, while not MPX/PCC-specific, Hiperfire has it in black and white that they’ll back their “Hipertouch” series:

https://hiperfire.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360024568454-Which-trigger-is-right-for-my-MPX-or-PCC-platform-

That said, the upcoming Phantom triggers they’re about to come out with look interesting too... but I’ve got to admit I definitely dig not having to worry about light-strikes with their Hipertouch series, and the Phantom looks like a conventional spring setup, so I hope it doesn’t compromise the harder strike to hit a lower price-point... time will tell I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

On 12/30/2019 at 3:42 PM, nick954 said:

I think it worth to share my experience. I ordered the trigger on 12/30, and received a wrong trigger on 1/8! They (TheGunDock) shipped a Timney for Remington 700 trigger, instead of PCC-681.

So I returned the trigger, received the refund yesterday, and ordered a "hipertouch genesis" trigger from another store!

I will post a report on the new trigger, as soon as I get and install it, and finish my first match with the new trigger :).

On 12/30/2019 at 1:26 PM, TeedOff said:

My MPXs are all gen 2. I’ve shot the PCC version...if mine came stock with the timney I wouldn’t have put the Hiperfires in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^^^  This.  As a recovering triggerslut I forced myself to leave the Timney in my MPX PCC.  (I tried 3 different triggers in my Gen 2).  Ya know what?  I really can't tell the difference when on the clock in this high speed, trigger slapping game.  

I think it worth to share my experience. I ordered the trigger on 12/30, and received a wrong trigger on 1/8! They (TheGunDock) shipped a Timney for Remington 700 trigger, instead of PCC-681.
So I returned the trigger, received the refund yesterday, and ordered a "hipertouch genesis" trigger from another store!

I will post a report on the new trigger, as soon as I get and install it, and finish my first match with the new trigger [emoji4].

Same here. While I have a Remington 700, that sure wasn’t the trigger I was expecting. I’m still waiting on a RMA and return label...

Rob from inleadwetrust recommended the LaRue MBT-S1. I purchased JP3.5 trigger springs for it too. The trigger is made of S7 toolsteel so it should be very strong. 

I’m replacing my giessele SD3G that I have in it. I took out the stock Timney trigger that came in the competition MPX..

i should be receiving the trigger today. I’ll report back later 

On 1/14/2020 at 7:57 PM, Neomet said:

^^^^^  This.  As a recovering triggerslut I forced myself to leave the Timney in my MPX PCC.  (I tried 3 different triggers in my Gen 2).  Ya know what?  I really can't tell the difference when on the clock in this high speed, trigger slapping game.  

Could you tell us what are those three triggers that you tried on your PCC? Are they having different pull weights?

I am asking this, because for me, the main reason to change a trigger of rifle in general, is to bring the pull weight down to sub-3lb. The second point is to have a short reset.

Having a crisp brake is not relevant anymore, because all of the aftermarket triggers that I've tried, are crisp enough that they all feel identical (I am talking about actual rifle cal. guns, but assume PCC behaves the same). 

On 1/19/2020 at 7:38 AM, Sean_ht said:

Could you tell us what are those three triggers that you tried on your PCC? Are they having different pull weights?

I am asking this, because for me, the main reason to change a trigger of rifle in general, is to bring the pull weight down to sub-3lb. The second point is to have a short reset.

Having a crisp brake is not relevant anymore, because all of the aftermarket triggers that I've tried, are crisp enough that they all feel identical (I am talking about actual rifle cal. guns, but assume PCC behaves the same). 

JP at 3.1lb, Geissele High Speed National Match and a HF 24C at 2.2lb.  I ended up going to the middle weight toggle springs on the 24C because I felt like the increased hammer energy with the lightest trigger was contributing to firing pins breaking.  That pushed my pull weight up over 3lb.    

On 1/21/2020 at 5:56 AM, Neomet said:

JP at 3.1lb, Geissele High Speed National Match and a HF 24C at 2.2lb.  I ended up going to the middle weight toggle springs on the 24C because I felt like the increased hammer energy with the lightest trigger was contributing to firing pins breaking.  That pushed my pull weight up over 3lb.    

I have just installed the Hipertouch trigger with the lighter spring. It is super nice, but very different compare with my other competition triggers that I have on AR15s. No crisp break kinda feel, and it is more like a surprise break.

As for braking the firing pin (assuming you have already broken a pin), did your MPX come with firing pin spring? I know the early MPX versions did not have the spring for the firing pin. 

I am asking, because I want to know if I need to buy some extra pins?

I played with the Timney Daniel Horner trigger that I was told is MPX compliant at shotshow. I think that is the avenue I’m gonna go. It’s very expensive. They call it a 2 stage trigger. The first stage is about 1/16” approximately based off no true measurements. The first stage must be under 1 pound. The break is a clean crisp break that weighs about 1 pound. Again, I tested it at shotshow so I had nothing to measure anything. What I do know is I really like it. I would prefer no pre travel “2 stage” trigger but oh well. 

11 hours ago, Bdh821 said:

I played with the Timney Daniel Horner trigger that I was told is MPX compliant at shotshow. I think that is the avenue I’m gonna go. It’s very expensive. They call it a 2 stage trigger. The first stage is about 1/16” approximately based off no true measurements. The first stage must be under 1 pound. The break is a clean crisp break that weighs about 1 pound. Again, I tested it at shotshow so I had nothing to measure anything. What I do know is I really like it. I would prefer no pre travel “2 stage” trigger but oh well. 

Give us your feedback, when you install and shoot with it.

To be honest, even a $150 trigger is overpriced IMHO. You are talking about a $300+ trigger. The good thing about the free market is no matter how overprice a product be there are always someones who will buy it.

Beside the price, I personally do not put such a low pull weight in a PCC platform. I have a sub 2lb trigger, but it is installed in a precision rifle. For PCC, specially if you plan to shoot in a competition, there are many fast moves and engagements that makes it supper unsafe to have a supper light trigger. 

22 hours ago, Bdh821 said:

"Pull weight .5lbs. first stage and 1 - 2.5lbs second stage (adjustable)" according to the website.

Sounds similar to the AR Gold and TriggerTech Diamond. Both of these have the same light initial takeup. I personally like this, especially for longer range precision stuff. I'm pretty sure Daniel Horner used the AR Gold for a long time. So, it makes sense that this would be similar.

My TT Diamond has a first stage of about 4 oz, and the total pull weight can be as low as 0.85 lb., though they advertise 1.5 lb.

Edited by avastcosmicarena
  • 2 weeks later...

Curious why folks say the gold 3.5 lb Timney isn't for the MPX - the only thing differentiating an 'MPX' trigger from any other AR trigger is the hammer bridge to soak up some of the abuse, and the gold one comes with one just like the heavier pull black one.

I've got a Gen 2 with an Eclipse and a Gen 3 'PCC' (I wish they would have just officially called it a Gen 3) with the stock Timney.  Can't tell the difference on the clock.  The Hiperfire has around 12K rounds through it.  The disconnector spring broke at 7K - 5 minute fix.  Recommend getting a dozen springs (they cost virtually nothing) and replacing every 3K for peace of mind.

On 1/15/2020 at 6:24 PM, Bdh821 said:

Rob from inleadwetrust recommended the LaRue MBT-S1. I purchased JP3.5 trigger springs for it too. The trigger is made of S7 toolsteel so it should be very strong. 

I’m replacing my giessele SD3G that I have in it. I took out the stock Timney trigger that came in the competition MPX..

i should be receiving the trigger today. I’ll report back later 

Did you ever try the Larue trigger in the MPX?  How'd it go?

I guess I’m bad at following up...

I was not a fan of the LaRue trigger. For a combat trigger, it’s probsbly amazing. It has a lot of creep compared to the SD3G. I had light primer strikes but I also put the JP3.5 springs in it. I continued on having malfunctions with my MPX after putting the SD3G and LaRue. Always a FTF. 

I then put the stock Timney trigger my MPX competition came with. Have put about 1500 rounds through it without any issues. 

All that being said, I ordered the Timney DH3 trigger last night. I felt it at shotshow and decided to go ahead with it. I don’t like how it’s a “2 stage” trigger.  But the first stage is very short and almost no weight. The break is super crisp and maybe 1 pound. The reset was super short too. I emailed Timney and they said they designed the trigger for Dan to use in a Sig MPX, MCX, and AR15. 

Maybe if if I remember I’ll give updates when I receive it. 

6 hours ago, Bdh821 said:

I guess I’m bad at following up...

I was not a fan of the LaRue trigger. For a combat trigger, it’s probsbly amazing. It has a lot of creep compared to the SD3G. I had light primer strikes but I also put the JP3.5 springs in it. I continued on having malfunctions with my MPX after putting the SD3G and LaRue. Always a FTF. 

I then put the stock Timney trigger my MPX competition came with. Have put about 1500 rounds through it without any issues. 

All that being said, I ordered the Timney DH3 trigger last night. I felt it at shotshow and decided to go ahead with it. I don’t like how it’s a “2 stage” trigger.  But the first stage is very short and almost no weight. The break is super crisp and maybe 1 pound. The reset was super short too. I emailed Timney and they said they designed the trigger for Dan to use in a Sig MPX, MCX, and AR15. 

Maybe if if I remember I’ll give updates when I receive it. 

Almost guaranteed with those springs. If anything you should have run the AR-10 springs that come with the MBT to combat bolt speed. By going to a weaker hammer spring you not only had harsher energy transfer (what kills most non-bridged triggers) but you also reduced hammer energy.

I heard about the new Hiperfire PHANTOM. Very promising (at least in their ads!). 

Saying that, after shooting around 1k, I like the Hiperfire HIPERTOUCH (with the lighter spring). I have bought some spare springs for the firing pin.

I have shot many rounds with the following trigger brands: Geissele, Elftman, and CMC. This Hiperfire trigger is different. Can't say in a good or bad way. It does not give a crisp brake kind of feeling. It is more like a polished trigger to a point that it just make a surprise brake. It was a very odd feeling at the beginning, but now that I get use to it, I like it very much.