Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sean_ht

Sig MPX-PCC trigger

Recommended Posts

To upgrade the Sig MPX-PCC trigger, which trigger do you suggest?

 

I did some search in different places, and the following are apparently the only options:

1. Timney MPX - single stage, pull weight 4.5 lb - https://timneytriggers.com/sig-mpx-trigger/

2. Elftmann AR-9 - pull weight 2 3/4 to 4 lb (adjustable) https://www.elftactical.com/elf-ar-9

3. Geissele MPX-SSA - 2 stage, pull weight  4.25-4.5 lb https://geissele.com/mpx-ssa.html

Some forum suggested Geissele match trigger, but non of their match triggers (S3G, SD-3G, and Hi-Speed National Match) are compatible with Sig-MPX. 

 

Any other suggestion?

Share this post


Link to post

Timney has another version at about 3.5 which is the gold one, the black one is the 4.5 that comes with the MPX PCC, but can also be purchased seperately.

Share this post


Link to post

 

6 minutes ago, inertia said:

Timney has another version at about 3.5 which is the gold one, the black one is the 4.5 that comes with the MPX PCC, but can also be purchased seperately.

 

Thanks, I was wondering 4.5 lb is not that much impressive (compare with other options), that people kept mentioning Timney at the matches!

But is it compatible with the Sig-MPX? In their website they did not say anything about compatibility with MPX, for any of their AR Carbine triggers:

1- https://timneytriggers.com/ar-pcc-trigger/

2- https://timneytriggers.com/ar-pcc-two-stage-trigger/

Share this post


Link to post

I’m running a geissele SD-3G. The stock MPX competition is a sweet trigger, minus the 4.5lbs. 

 

I havent been able to find a 3.5lb Timney trigger

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, Bdh821 said:

I’m running a geissele SD-3G. The stock MPX competition is a sweet trigger, minus the 4.5lbs. 

 

I havent been able to find a 3.5lb Timney trigger

Is the 3.5 lb this one?

https://timneytriggers.com/ar-pcc-trigger/

 

The reason I am asking is in their website, the only trigger they mark as MPX compatible is the 4.5 lb black one ( https://timneytriggers.com/sig-mpx-trigger/). 

 

Does anyone have any experience with the Elftmann AR-9 trigger? In the description, it says it is compatible with the MPX and it has a low trigger pull. The only downside is it is a two stage trigger (based on the look of their trigger).

Share this post


Link to post

I have not tried the 3.5 timney. 

 

My gf has the elf AR-9 pcc trigger in her AR15. It feels great. Hers isn’t 2 stage. 

 

Id be interested in trying the timney 2.5-3lb trigger. But I also know gear isn’t gonna make me a better shooter so I’ll just practice more

Share this post


Link to post

Keep in mind there are also a lot of people running other triggers that may not be specifically for the mpx with varying degrees of success or failure. Hyperfires I see a lot, I run Timney Calvin's in MPXs. There are also a few PCC triggers not specified as MPX triggers that "should" be ok, that gold Timney falls in that category. I have the black and gold timney they are identical besides probably some spring and factory preset adjustment differences.

Share this post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, Bdh821 said:

I have not tried the 3.5 timney. 

 

My gf has the elf AR-9 pcc trigger in her AR15. It feels great. Hers isn’t 2 stage. 

 

Id be interested in trying the timney 2.5-3lb trigger. But I also know gear isn’t gonna make me a better shooter so I’ll just practice more

 

I have a MPX with original Sig curved trigger. For competition, it definitely requires an upgrade. No matter how much you practice, you still have to change that trigger. If I had a MPX-PCC with Timney trigger, I would not even think about changing the trigger.

 

34 minutes ago, inertia said:

Keep in mind there are also a lot of people running other triggers that may not be specifically for the mpx with varying degrees of success or failure. Hyperfires I see a lot, I run Timney Calvin's in MPXs. There are also a few PCC triggers not specified as MPX triggers that "should" be ok, that gold Timney falls in that category. I have the black and gold timney they are identical besides probably some spring and factory preset adjustment differences.

 

I have heard about the Hiperfire 24C trigger. Did not know it fits the MPX.

 

 

As a general note, trigger is is going to be the only upgrade for my MPX.  I want to buy a crisp and reliable trigger to make my MPX suitable for PCC division.  I just don't want to spend some money now and saving by not buying a good enough trigger, that later I have to change the trigger again. Or change the trigger because of the reliability issue. I know installing a light weight trigger can result in light primer hit issue.

 

The Elftmann AR-9 is very tempting. The price is not that bad, and the trigger weight is adjustable. I don't know if it creates reliability issue, as I mentioned above.

Share this post


Link to post
 
I have heard about the Hiperfire 24C trigger. Did not know it fits the MPX.
 


Yes, the Hiperfire 24C absolutely fits and functions in the MPX. I’ve got 3 MPXs and each one has or had a 24c. Realise that the mpx is hard on triggers...I’ve had two fail at inopportune times during matches. That said, the 24c is in my view a very nice trigger, reliability aside.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post

You didn't specify but I assume you dont have the new mpx pcc that came with the 4.5 Timney. If you are new to this game the Timney 3.5 is probably best reliability/cost/performance ballance, I have seen them on sale real cheap. The ELF will be very good and should not give you any problems, if the little bit more $ is non issue its solid choice. If you want to try the 4.5 timney send me a message I may be able to help, I have one sitting in my bin of triggers.

Share this post


Link to post

My MPXs are all gen 2. I’ve shot the PCC version...if mine came stock with the timney I wouldn’t have put the Hiperfires in them.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for the inputs. As I mentioned in the last reply, I bought the Sig-MPX 16" that comes with the regular Sig trigger, NOT the Timney version (MPX-PCC).

 

 

1 hour ago, nick954 said:

      Thanks a lot for the link, I bought it from them. The weight pull is perfect, and their price is right.

 

I just need to buy one or two 30rd magazines and I am my set is complete for 2020 :)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

I ran the Timney 683 a bit that came in my MPX PCC when new for a few hundred rounds, and it’s definitely nice enough to stay with, heavier than what I’m used to but it’s reset was pretty awesome, very snappy... I had a Hiperfire Reflex/243G on hand so I switched out to that which I love (and my buddy got the Timney for his earlier Gen2 which he didn’t think he needed until the first pull on it lol). The Timney is like 4.5lbs but crisp enough that it feels lighter, the Hiperfire is like 2lbs in comparison and is just ridiculous fast.

So far I’ve had no issues with the Hiperfire through around 7k rounds or so... though I’m aware they can fail, but am reassured knowing if it dies Hiperfire will make it right.

Big Daddy Unlimited has good pricing on the Hiperfire’s usually (think I paid $160 IIRC).

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, ck1 said:

I ran the Timney 683 a bit that came in my MPX PCC when new for a few hundred rounds, and it’s definitely nice enough to stay with, heavier than what I’m used to but it’s reset was pretty awesome, very snappy... I had a Hiperfire Reflex/243G on hand so I switched out to that which I love (and my buddy got the Timney for his earlier Gen2 which he didn’t think he needed until the first pull on it lol). The Timney is like 4.5lbs but crisp enough that it feels lighter, the Hiperfire is like 2lbs in comparison and is just ridiculous fast.

So far I’ve had no issues with the Hiperfire through around 7k rounds or so... though I’m aware they can fail, but am reassured knowing if it dies Hiperfire will make it right.

Big Daddy Unlimited has good pricing on the Hiperfire’s usually (think I paid $160 IIRC).

 

Thanks for the input. I know if I had bought the MPX_PCC one, I would stick with the Timney that comes with it (683). It's a good trigger, but not good enough to make you happy when shooting in a match, specially in a Steel-Challenge; and not bad enough that force you to spend some green notes to upgrade it.  So I decided to buy a version of MPX that comes with regular Sig trigger (not the Timney one) for couple of hundreds less. This way I can upgrade the trigger according to my taste, and still save some money. :)

 

The idea behind the Hiperfire is interesting. However, I think they are a bit over-priced. 

 

 

One question. I have read the MPX Carbine has a tendency to destroy any match trigger that is not specifically made for it. Is it true?

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Sean_ht said:

 

One question. I have read the MPX Carbine has a tendency to destroy any match trigger that is not specifically made for it. Is it true?


Yes and no... the MPX design (most PCC’s really, but the MPX is the meanest) cycles so fast that it is way more brutal on the triggers than a typical AR .223/5.56 gun, so that said there are some things to consider: as far as I know Timney with their PCC-specific triggers, and Hiperfire with their “toggle engine” triggers will stand behind them and back them up if (when) they fail and fix/replace them free of charge. I dig Giessele stuff, but their PCC design is wonky and doesn’t make much sense with swapped recoil springs and such to me, so I don’t know about them...

Also, 9mm primers on average can be harder compared to a lot of rifle primers, so there’s that; Hiperfire triggers deliver a harder hammer strike by their design, some of the others use lighter springs to get a lighter pull and that can mean light strikes if one is unlucky.

 

I’ve heard of guys going 20k rounds on Hiperfire’s without issues, or some dying after a few thousand... but they stand behind them and will fix/replace them which is what matters most IMHO.

Edited by ck1

Share this post


Link to post

 

2 minutes ago, ck1 said:


Yes and no... the MPX design (most PCC’s really, but the MPX is the meanest) cycles so fast that it is way more brutal on the triggers than a typical AR .223/5.56 gun, so that said there are some things to consider: as far as I know Timney with their PCC-specific triggers, and Hiperfire with their “toggle engine” triggers will stand behind them and back them up if (when) they fail and fix/replace them free of charge. I dig Giessele stuff, but their PCC design is wonky and doesn’t make much sense with swapped recoil springs and such to me, so I don’t know about them...

 

I’ve heard of guys going 20k rounds on Hiperfire’s without issues, or some dying after a few thousand... but they stand behind them and will fix/replace them which is what matters most IMHO.

Thanks for the input. I was first thinking about using my ar15 match trigger (I have an Elftmann-SE) in the MPX. Then read about how the MPX destroys triggers, and it changed my initial thought. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Sean_ht said:

 

Thanks for the input. I was first thinking about using my ar15 match trigger (I have an Elftmann-SE) in the MPX. Then read about how the MPX destroys triggers, and it changed my initial thought. 

 

 
Yeah, it’ll probably get killed in no time sadly...

 

AND, IMHO, ALL aftermarket triggers are overpriced lol! But hey, a nice trigger is kinda a necessary evil considering how much we spend on all this stuff that doesn’t make you smile as much haha 😂 

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, inertia said:

Keep in mind there are also a lot of people running other triggers that may not be specifically for the mpx with varying degrees of success or failure. Hyperfires I see a lot, I run Timney Calvin's in MPXs. There are also a few PCC triggers not specified as MPX triggers that "should" be ok, that gold Timney falls in that category. I have the black and gold timney they are identical besides probably some spring and factory preset adjustment differences.

Let me know how long that Calvin holds up. Mine gave up after about 2k rds but it has been my fav thus far. 

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, Stefan said:

Let me know how long that Calvin holds up. Mine gave up after about 2k rds but it has been my fav thus far. 

Yeah I have 2 of same trigger in my primary and backup gun, and the one with most of the rounds on it doesn't feel the same as the new one anymore so I don't imagine it will last forever.

Share this post


Link to post

Stay away from the timney pcc trigger

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Jcgatus said:

Stay away from the timney pcc trigger

That was a very strong and blind comment. What are the reasons to back your statement?

Share this post


Link to post

Consider the KE ARMS SLT-1

Took the Timney black's out and put the SLT's back in.  JMHO

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Sean_ht said:

That was a very strong and blind comment. What are the reasons to back your statement?

I agree, no content behind my statement. Lol.

 

The timney pcc trigger gives me tremendous trigger freeze. At first I thought it was user error(not properly letting my finger off to reset the trigger), but I was able to do it on command. I wasnt the only one experiencing the issue.

 

Since then, I went and replaced it with a hiperfire trigger, my 4th one.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...