Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Texas Star

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I want to be safe I start from the top down and alternate sides so it basically doesn't move. If I wanna try being uber cool I start from the bottom (usually 7 o'clock position) and let each subsequent plate rotate into the right lead (edge of plate just touching side of slide) as I try to keep up. Haven't cleaned the Star this way yet, highest count was four in a row...but I've been trying ever since I saw a video somewhere (here?) of someone just ripping through a Star from under a table (so he had to start at the bottom) where the last plate was off before the first or second plate even hit the ground.

What works the best for me, which I think was mentioned by Matt Cheely somwhere on here. Shoot the top one first, and then go down the left side. They will be comming right to you. Did it for the first time Sunday, and it worked great.

+ another one. Here's a vid of a texas star shoot that went well for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMftwS1wYDc

Usually I go down the right side but I think those hardcovers were penaties and the angle was such that they were better shot on the left. I think it's best to practice a lot of different ways, but head shot and down one side is my go to method of choice.

I shoot it from top down either the right or left, depending on the stage design. After working down the plates that started on the right, I just wait for the plates on the left to roll around into my sights. Very little gun movement. It can be shot faster by zig-zagging, but the disaster factor is much higher.

Here are a few videos of cleaning the star shooting it like this. You need to watch them in high quality to see anything.

Like Texas, we have some rather devious stage designers here in Ohio. :devil:

One of them has designed a stage for the Ohio State match this year (being held October 2-3, 2009) that will have a Texas Star with 1 plate (most likely the top plate) that is designated as a NO-SHOOT plate.

Well that sort of throws your plan off if you like to start on the top plate. I actually like to start on the top right (1 o'clock) and work my way down the right side, moving the gun as little as possible. Letting the plates come to me. Hopefully getting all 5 plates in 6 shots or less.

So last weekend, we shot a different stage, but with a similar Texas Star. They painted a large black X on the plate that was to be the NO-SHOOT. So knowing this driving up to the match last Saturday, I was talking with Pharaoh Bender about how that makes me a little nervous, knowing how your adrenaline can really get going when shooting a TX Star smoothly, and NOT knowing if I could resist taking that shot if everything was going along nicely. Sort of like the classifier "Can You Count", but in this case the question was can you stop at 4 plates?

It was a lesson in paying attention for sure. ;)

Well as you can see from the video I did fine, didn't have any problems deciding where to start, or where to go from there. But I'm not sure that our star is as fast as some of the other ones I've seen at Major matches. :ph34r:

Click Here for the Texas Star Video

2009May-CirclevilleUSPSAmatch-Stage.jpg

I love that they made a no shoot plate for the star I am going to suggest that to the local match director. I need more of a challange with the star, going from top to bottom makes it like a round plate rack.

Nice shooting trevor, always fun to watch you shoot at the speed of light!!

Edited by L-10_shooter

• 1 month later...

So, you guys only shoot at one Texas star at a time? I shot a steel madness stage with three Texas stars lined up one behind the other. If I remember correctly, we used stars with 7 plates on each one for this stage. They were about 4' apart from each other. It can really be confusing when you get three of those spinning in different directions and different speeds. I shot that stage on my second time out to a competition. I have shot about 4 competitions total now. I didn't do well the first time, so after the match I went back and practiced. With 6 10 round magazines loaded I was able to hit 20 out of 21 plates but ran out of ammo to hit the 2 pepper poppers on that stage. We usually have at least one star at each competition. I have practiced at them every time I go to a match. Last time out we practiced spinning the star and then clearing all of the plates.

I think this is my first post here. I hang out at Calguns.net also under the name CGT80. We shoot at

Mike Raahauge's Shooting Enterprises - www.raahauges.com in Norco, Ca and the club is Shooting Sports Alliance http://www.ssashooter.net/

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

When I have shot the star, we have "activated" it by hanging a 10lb weight on one of the "arms" (the weight drops off at the bottom of the swing), with a prop stick that has a hinge in it under the "arm", which is tied by a string to a popper. You have to shoot the popper first, which pulls the string, which collapses the stick, and gravity takes over with the 5lb weight, starting the star to spinning before your first shot on it. The trick to this set up is to shoot (as fast as you know you have hit the popper!) the plate just above the "arm" that had the hinged stick, to minimize the spin of the star. Then continue shooting the upper plates as fast as possible, leaving all the other plates just swing back and forth at the bottom. Don't chase the plates, wait for them to come to your site picture.

• 1 month later...
Guest Steven Cline

I prefer the "run down one side" technique, but I have also done the ziggy zaggy thing.

I made this video, but I should up date it with a demo of the zig-zag method as well.

(remember, I make these videos for beginners)

Edited by Steven Cline

Steve - Great video who does your makeup? lol

I have been shooting it top to bottom with what might be referred to as the zigzag method but after your video and explanation I'm going to try it your way next time. It goes against my policy of shooting stuff coming up to the gun, as a rule I try to shoot when target is coming down to the gun like swingers and such, I like to see it coming. :surprise:

Q: How do I shoot a Texas star?

A: Poorly

A: With lots of cussin

A: With a mag change

To be honest I have only shot one a few times but it wasn't too ugly. Start at the top and work your way down, usually one side is a little lower than the other.

Joe W.

I just want to add not to "chase" it if you get in trouble. Be patient and let the plates come to you, then ambush them when they are about to stop. We shoot the stars at all of our club matches and they can be quite challenging.

Acouple of years ago at Area 6 three gun, they had a whirly bird thing in front of the star with no-shoot clays on it that was activated by a popper prior to engaging the star. The clays were the same color as the plates on the star. It was shot with a shotgun. It was fun. My buddy just whent ahead and shot the clays first to get them out of his way :roflol:

Hurley