Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PT Honcho shooters (What mags?)

PGGUNS

18 minutes ago, zzt said:

FWIW, the Honcho originally came with complete sets of MBX mags, so you know they work.

Yeah I think that’s what they recommend, was going to get the STI mags but will probably go with them.  Was just curious if that’s what most are running with that gun.

can anyone comment on "Honcho Technology" and do you really get away with no loctite on any of the screw? I cant imagine a slide racker, sight mount, Breachface, or scope mount would stay on with no loctite and never loosen up? I like the idea of the honcho now that the race shop is implemented and you can build your own package. Id be a buyer for a open limited and limited minor combo but is it really possible to not have loctite anywhere? Not a deal breaker just curious if its true.

Edited by Shmella

25 minutes ago, Shmella said:

Not a deal breaker just curious if its true.

I don't doubt it for a minute.  with good threads and proper screws you don't need Loctite.  Both of my new 9mm Open guns run frame mounted dots and thumb rests.  None of the screws have any kind of thread locker, and they haven't come loose all season.  In fact, they are a bear to get out.  I had to use an extractor tool the last time I wanted one off.  BTW, you cannot reuse the screws.  Don't know if that's the same for the Honcho or not.

30 minutes ago, Shmella said:

can anyone comment on "Honcho Technology" and do you really get away with no loctite on any of the screw? I cant imagine a slide racker, sight mount, Breachface, or scope mount would stay on with no loctite and never loosen up? I like the idea of the honcho now that the race shop is implemented and you can build your own package. Id be a buyer for a open limited and limited minor combo but is it really possible to not have loctite anywhere? Not a deal breaker just curious if its true.

It works the same as medical implants and space applications where loctite isn’t feasible. It’s performing just as well on all of the Honcho components 😊

5 minutes ago, zzt said:

I don't doubt it for a minute.  with good threads and proper screws you don't need Loctite.  Both of my new 9mm Open guns run frame mounted dots and thumb rests.  None of the screws have any kind of thread locker, and they haven't come loose all season.  In fact, they are a bear to get out.  I had to use an extractor tool the last time I wanted one off.  BTW, you cannot reuse the screws.  Don't know if that's the same for the Honcho or not.

Honcho “tech” is in the female and, not the male. It uses standard screws. These screws will last as long if not longer than the gun if taken care of.

15 minutes ago, Shmella said:

The "Honcho Tech" as it refers to the threads in the gun uses a self-locking thread geometry (female) designed for fasteners in harsh environments (vibration, temp fluctuations, stress, etc).

It has proven to work successfully on the guns with no added thread-locker. 

1 hour ago, MVPFc said:

It works the same as medical implants and space applications where loctite isn’t feasible. It’s performing just as well on all of the Honcho components 😊

That’s pretty neat. I figured maybe it’s the way the threads are cut but I didn’t know for sure and I’m no machinist, or aerospace engineer and didn’t know that was a real thing. In my head I’m thinking it’s gotta be possible and never thought about different applications like medical implants. 

I may have argued with you here and there on here 😬 but the honcho seems like a winner and I’m tempted to sell a few guns and consolidate down to one with multiple barrels for the few odd pro am and falling steel matches I shoot. I’m argumentative here and there 😳but my monies still green 😬

Edited by Shmella

I just recently got my honcho but I’ve asked about 10 honcho owners and every one keeps coming back with MBX mags. I purchased 11 since and all have worked great with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 11/4/2019 at 6:55 PM, Shmella said:

That’s pretty neat. I figured maybe it’s the way the threads are cut but I didn’t know for sure and I’m no machinist, or aerospace engineer and didn’t know that was a real thing. In my head I’m thinking it’s gotta be possible and never thought about different applications like medical implants. 

I may have argued with you here and there on here 😬 but the honcho seems like a winner and I’m tempted to sell a few guns and consolidate down to one with multiple barrels for the few odd pro am and falling steel matches I shoot. I’m argumentative here and there 😳but my monies still green 😬

No worries, it’s all good. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Running nothing but MBX mags......buuuuuuuuuut have had zero issues using Gen 1 STI and Gen 2 STI mags as well, both with STI guts and Grams/TTI guts. 

MBX mags just make it easier and I get reloadable 29rd (170mm), 26rd (155mm), and 23rd (140mm).

I ordered a honcho and currently own 0 2011 mags. Can someone suggest to me what sizes I should get and how many of each?

Definitely need a 170mm. Preference only if you use shorter mags for reloads or just reload to another 170. For me the 155 feels like a 140 for reloading but holds almost as much as a 170mm. But even so I general find myself running two 170’s and two 140’s for most matches. Could get by with less most of the time for locals.

43 minutes ago, avastcosmicarena said:

I ordered a honcho and currently own 0 2011 mags. Can someone suggest to me what sizes I should get and how many of each?

Depends on what your intended use will be with the pistol.. Limited minor /major.. Open.. 3gun, uspsa?? 

Depends on what your intended use will be with the pistol.. Limited minor /major.. Open.. 3gun, uspsa?? 

Yes correct. I was assuming open division. If it’s limited or some other Game you are shooting ignore my post. Just expected limited or other shooters would only be buying 140’s

2 hours ago, avastcosmicarena said:

Did you get the race ready model? If so then I suggest the following.

If your shooting open then you need following:

1 of 170mm mags for 9mm/38sc open. Mag works for both calibers. Then 2 of the 140mm magazines. This is the bare minimum. Most will recommend at least 1 more of the 140mm so you have a spare mag in case one goes down.

If your shooting 3gun and using the 9mm sight block barrel then you need the following:

use the 3 140mm magazines from above including the extra.

If your shooting limited 40 with the 40 sight block barrel then you need a minimum of 3 of the 40 cal 140mm mags. Same advice follows above that you may want one additional for spare and rotation.

Total:

1 of the 9mm/38sc 170mm mag for USPSA Open

3 of the 9mm/38sc 140mm mag for USPSA Open and 3Gun

3 of the 40 cal 140mm mag for USPSA Limited

And then if you have the extra money and shoot across games/divisions often I would add 1 additional 9mm 170mm  and 1 additional 9mm 140mm and 1 additional 40cal 140mm. You don’t want to rely only on the mags in your gun and on your belt. The list above is a solid start and then add the extras mentioned for the game you shoot  or even wait until you think you need them down road. 

Edited by hurley326