Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm EGW case gauge.

alviorj

Good Day. I’m a new reloader using a Dillon SDB. What I notice is some of my rounds fits the case gauge flushed and some are not. AOL is within specs when I used my digital caliper, even the diameter. I did some research and said to do the plunk test on a barrel. I did and all the rounds drops freely in and out. I also rotated the rounds inside and it don’t stick. Any input? Thanks.

I have one of the EGW 4-hole gauges.  The 9mm is tighter than my Lyman, the .45 is tighter than my Wilson.  So I seldom use it.

You could throw money at the problem with a different gauge or you could just accumulate a basket of rounds that don't gauge and plunk them in the chamber.

1 hour ago, alviorj said:

Good Day. I’m a new reloader using a Dillon SDB. What I notice is some of my rounds fits the case gauge flushed and some are not. AOL is within specs when I used my digital caliper, even the diameter. I did some research and said to do the plunk test on a barrel. I did and all the rounds drops freely in and out. I also rotated the rounds inside and it don’t stick. Any input? Thanks.

If the plunk test is ok for all the rounds then you are good to go. After all, where are you going to end up using the rounds...in the gauge or in your barrel😉

I seldom plunk any more, my dies are set up well enough that if it gauges it goes to "match grade" and if it misses by a little, it goes to practice.  I hardly ever get one that is way out of the gauge but if I do, I save it for the next time I clean the gun so I can plunk it.   

I don't do any plunk testing after determining what the OAL can be.  I use Shockbottle 100 round case gauges.  If they drop freely in and out, they are match ammo.  Any that does not drop all the way in (very few) get put in the practice pile.  I cannot imagine going back to checking one at a time.  With the Shockbottle, you just put a 100 round case on top of it and invert it.

27 minutes ago, zzt said:

I don't do any plunk testing after determining what the OAL can be.  I use Shockbottle 100 round case gauges.  If they drop freely in and out, they are match ammo.  Any that does not drop all the way in (very few) get put in the practice pile.  I cannot imagine going back to checking one at a time.  With the Shockbottle, you just put a 100 round case on top of it and invert it.

I havent seen value of 100rd case gauge.... you had to put those 100rds in a case... 1 at a time... educate me how the hundo is better please.  Up front let me say I dont put rounds in individual round cases.  I batch them by the run... 3 or 400 in a box.  Ive been reloading 20years & have loaded over 135,000 rds.  Almost every one has been case gauged in a single rd gauge.  What am I missing?  Let me add... single rd gauge allows me to feel each rd go in & come out of a gauge I know works for my guns.  If there is a problem, I know which rd & can assess problem & decide yay or nay.  I am not picking on you hundo users, just wondering.

Edited by mlmiller1

Just now, mlmiller1 said:

I havent seen value of 100rd case gauge.... you had to put those 100rds in a case... 1 at a time... educate me how the hundo is better please.  Up front let me say I dont put rounds in individual round cases.  I batch them by the run... 3 or 400 in a box.  Ive been reloading 20years & have loaded over 135,000 rds.  Almost every one has been case gauged in a single rd gauge.  What am I missing?

I have mastered putting 4 rounds at a time in the Hundo so it’s much faster than using a single round gauge. I also use 100 round boxes so it’s a no brainer for me to use the Hundo. If I were not using 100 round boxes I would at least use a 7 hole gauge

2 minutes ago, mlmiller1 said:

Sarge, but why?  W 7rd gauge, you still have to put em in 1 at a time & you cant feel for any problems

I think I could load a 7 hole in two strokes. Like I said I can grab 4 at a time for the Hundo. So I could grab 4 then three in just slightly more time than loading 2 into a one holes. With the Hundo split cases won’t fit so I assume the same for EGW? Once the gauge is full I can swipe over the top to check for high primer etc.

To be fair I wash my brass then sort by headstamp so my brass gets handled a LOT before I load it. Split cases that make it to the point of loading are rare as are any other brass issues.

Loading the Shockbottle (Hundo) is easy and fast.  The nose of the bullets hit the table and the rear of the case stands proud.  You lift the case and anything that does not fall flush gets removed for practice.  You can run your fingers over all the cases to feel for high primers.  The gauge holds the rounds more tightly than the case, so marking them with a Sharpie is way easier.  When you are sure everything is okay, put an empty case on top of the gauge and invert.  All the rounds are now in the case.  Takes two seconds.  Repeat with another case if you want the rounds nose down in the case.

6 hours ago, zzt said:

So how do you check for primer depth or rule out any primer depth irregularities?

11 hours ago, Bench said:

So how do you check for primer depth or rule out any primer depth irregularities?

It is easy to put the Shockbottle gauge up against a light to see high primers, if you have a hard time feeling them by running your finger over them.  Also very each to check for missing, sideways, or upside-down primers.

Like others, my EGW gauge is tight.  When I first set my press up for 9mm, I used my barrels for plunk test, to establish the preferred baseline.  When running my press (AB driven 1050) I will periodically check the rounds with the EGW gauge.  Makes sure crimp, etc is still good.  Before a match, i will use the Shockbottle to gauge all ammo.  Again good way to spot primer issues, or cases that might be  a smidge long, etc.  

My shock bottle case gauge is actually tighter than my gun’s barrel. I found this out when I was doing the plunk test to establish my OAL.

To check for high primers, I just orient the shock bottle st an angle against the light. It makes it so easy. Anything that doesn’t pass the gauge gets tossed into my practice ammo bin.

To add, OP's question why some rounds do not pass the EGW gauge but do pass a plunk test.  Again, the EGW tolerances are pretty tight, and your barrell may or may not be reamed as close to specs as the EGW is.  Yes, your barrel is the best test to make sure, but you cannot plunk test every round you load.  If a finished round sticks in the EGW but not in your barrel, shorten the OAL a little till it drops freely out of the EGW.  The profile of the bullet can make a huge difference, and is probably the point of interference. 

On 9/15/2019 at 7:16 PM, Jim Watson said:

I seldom plunk any more, my dies are set up well enough that if it gauges it goes to "match grade" and if it misses by a little, it goes to practice.  I hardly ever get one that is way out of the gauge but if I do, I save it for the next time I clean the gun so I can plunk it.   

Jim,

Would you mind sharing what dies and press you're using? Thanks.

-Muddawg

On 9/15/2019 at 1:32 PM, mlmiller1 said:

I havent seen value of 100rd case gauge.... you had to put those 100rds in a case... 1 at a time...

I place my 100-round, plastic MTM (or whatever brand you are using) ammo box into a plastic bin and then just 'dump' a loaded ammo on it, while shaking the box slightly.  You'll find that 50-75% of the rounds find their way into a slot, a couple will be upside down, i.e. primer down, bullet up.  I manually reorient these by hand.  Once the ammo box is filled, it's a simply matter to transfer the rounds to the Hundo and then back to an ammo case. 

This process allows me to load a 100-round ammo storage case and case gauge, without having to touch each and every bullet. 

2 hours ago, muncie21 said:

This process allows me to load a 100-round ammo storage case and case gauge, without having to touch each and every bullet. 

There is the difference.... I see how y'all are making time.  I however have a different comfort level.  I like to feel every round as it goes in case gauge.... I can feel if its dragging or has a burr or anything abnormal.  Also I quit boxing in cases years ago.  I batch in an open box.  Usually 300 at a time as that is my normal amount to load at one setting.  I keep this batch separated from other batches in case of any problems that may affect this batch.  If I had a squib which Ive only had 1 in last 100,000rds.  That batch is segragated.  

Anyway I see why it helps you guys. 

Thanks!

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 9:14 AM, Muddawg900 said:

Jim,

Would you mind sharing what dies and press you're using? Thanks.

-Muddawg

9mm  Dillon 550B

Dillon sizer for 124-147 gr bullets, EGW/Lee "U" die for 115.

Dillon "powder funnel" expander.

Hornady seater with Microjust spindle.

Lee Carbide Factory Crimp

.45  Dillon Super 1050 

Dillon sizer for 200 cast -230 gr bullets, EGW/Lee "U" die for 185-200 jacketed.

Dillon "powder funnel" expander.

Hornady seater with Microjust spindle.

Dillon taper crimp.  Lee CFC for gauge failures. 

Custom case cannelure tool for JHPs. 

Edited by Jim Watson

Hello: I use the EGW 7 hole gauge. It is tighter than any other gauges I have used. If it passes that gauge it is match ammo. If not I use it for practice. I use MTM case-gard boxes to store my ammo in. Plastic food containers for practice ammo. When you are loading for Open, Carry Optics and PCC in 9mm you have to make sure you have the right ammo for the pistol you will be using. Thanks, Eric