Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good Container for Loaded Moonclips

IVC

What are you using to carry loaded moonclips?

For normal range trips, I just load and unload at the range. For competition, I would like to measure each specific moonclip and make sure it passes both round retention and the chamber test. I don't want to transport loaded moonclips in a bag or soft container where they can get bent. Anything beyond using cooking tupperware or fishing boxes? 

I use a plastic tool caddy (the kind with a handle that fits in the top of a tool box). I put 1/2" aluminum rods spaced out to give me 24 posts (drilled holes and tapped the bottoms). 2 moonclips on each post. Fits perfectly in the bottom of my bag.

I load and check them all for every match. Saves lots of time and hassle loading between stages.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass-pro-shops-storage-boxes?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions&affcode_c=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8o7Pho2h5AIVhq_sCh2HRAgqEAQYAiABEgImg_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I got a couple of these at Cabelas for about $8 each. They have them on the end of almost every fishing aisle.

image.png

Edited by Mcfoto

Thanks everyone for the replies. 

5 hours ago, Mcfoto said:

How many clips per compartment do they hold?

Did you measure the size of the moonclips and then go looking for something that would fit, or you just bought a bunch and figured out the way to make it all fit? 

7 minutes ago, IVC said:

Thanks everyone for the replies. 

How many clips per compartment do they hold?

Did you measure the size of the moonclips and then go looking for something that would fit, or you just bought a bunch and figured out the way to make it all fit? 

One moon per 24 compartments. Two trays cover a club match, three or four a major.

Thanks everyone for posting some great setups - some are much more work than the others, so it's a balance between simplicity and functionality.

I'll stop by Walmart and look at several departments for something that works and doesn't take too much to adapt for my purpose. The main takeaway is that there isn't anything purpose-built for moonclips and that it's about experimentation. 

I use the cardboard box the bullets come in.  Typically 3x3 rows in a layer of moon clips. 4 to 5 layers in a box.  That box fits in the center of my range bag.

Neatest carrier I saw was the blue S&W case the revolver comes in.  Great for moon clips.

On 8/26/2019 at 1:39 PM, AzShooter said:

Plano fishing boxes.  You can get them at Walmart.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

j7QGk8T.jpg

wU21XRO.jpg

Edited by RePete

I went to Home Depot and Walmart and found a bunch of boxes that might fit so I bought around six different types and tried them out. There were two that worked: Large Plano box from fishing aisle  (as many pointed out) and a medium Husky parts box. The rest became parts boxes (can't have too many of those). 

Plano box holds 4 rows of 9 for the total of 288 rounds, which is perfect for local matches (I wrote the capacity on the box so I don't have to calculate when choosing a box).

69267657_1617408785061171_3554314616894914560_o.thumb.jpg.feb62071eb8ba302ee13e5a0c7412262.jpg

Husky box is smaller and holds 3 rows of 7 for the total of 168 rounds.68928965_1617408751727841_6354807716803772416_o.thumb.jpg.f72c35a5d0ccf925e6a0e3345ad366a5.jpg

Thanks everyone for the ideas, I'm set for now. 

I used to do this, but realized the time I invested in loading and unloading moonclips before a match was unnecessary.

I'm now a fan of " loading as I go " during the match utilizing the dillon border shift bag , which is great - has two large pockets , one for load and one for unloaded brass.

Just something to consider if you dont have the funds for 40-50 moonclips.

https://www.dillonprecision.com/dillon-border-shift-ammo-bag_8_26_23843.html

I use a Flambeau tactical backpack for matches. Its main compartment is sized to fit two of their pistol hardcases and two mini ammo cans. I took one of the pistol cases and made this using delrin rod:

48636837991_0fcc2e344b_c.jpg

48636983692_6e7e380c21_c.jpg

It's sized to fit everything from my 627 moons loaded with .357 to my Chiappa Rhino moons loaded with 9mm (all of which can stack 2 deep). The best thing about it is that, when I'm running a second gun at a local match, I can load half with one set of moons and half with the other and generally have enough to shoot the whole match. Empty moons get dropped onto whatever posts are open.

That being said, I'll probably change to one of the Plano craft/tackle cases when flying to matches. A little slimmer and less conspicuous in my luggage (I only want one pistol-looking case in my suitcase, and it should be the one with the guns, ha).