Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Green sight reticle + green laser..?

Can’t find any mention of this... but anyone run a green reticle sight AND a green laser..?

Just got a green reticle Holosun HE510C-GR and it’s been like a revelation to me because it’s great even with my astigmatism... but think I’d also like to try a  Crimson Trace CMR-206 (green laser), but have no idea how it’ll work out because seems most guys run red reticle + green laser??? Not even sure how I’d zero them with them both being green???

If green + green is a no go, I guess I’ll just live without a laser, because I love the sight...

Thanks.

My astigmatism is getting worse and looking through my 6moa slide ride is like looking at a starfish granted I’m using target focus. I do use a green  crimson trace CMR 206.

Please post your findings. I’m very interested to know if it’ll help alleviate our problems with astigmatism. Thanks in advance.

I run a Holosun 510C green and a green holosun LS117G, however I only use the Laser with the momentary switch. I got the Laser mounted like a 45° offset reddot and the pressurepad at 12 o'clock in the front of the handguard. Works for me. I don't like the laser beeing constanly on. I just turn it on the instant I need it, and I don't use it all that much, especially outdoors. However they can be beneficial at times, and also help in training with certain things. (diagnosis with camera, mouting the gun, developing a feel for indexing the gun without sights, etc).

https://www.instagram.com/martin_impact/?hl=en

Edited by impact
7 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

If you can't zero, on the clock is  probably gonna be worse...

Just dial the laser dot to the dot of the optic until they both coincide. If your lost which dot is which, just use the pressure pad and turn the laser on and off to be able to distinct between them. It doesn't even take a minute.

33 minutes ago, George16 said:

My astigmatism is getting worse and looking through my 6moa slide ride is like looking at a starfish... I’m very interested to know if it’ll help alleviate our problems with astigmatism. Thanks in advance.

I pretty much gave up on red dots due to my astigmatism before trying the green HE510C-GR... I’m not sure if it’s just that the reticle on the 510 is super clear, or because the green is just WAY better to my eyes for some reason, or both..? But I’d recommend checking one out... I just ordered through Amazon so a return would be easy, seeing as though I thought it’d just be another one that didn’t work for me, but after holding it at arms length I was amazed and sold in like 2 minutes lol 😝 

3 minutes ago, impact said:

Just dial the laser dot to the dot of the optic until they both coincide. If your lost which dot is which, just use the pressure pad and turn the laser on and off to be able to distinct between them. It doesn't even take a minute.

2 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

Don't run the same zero, so they don't converge. Laser less than 10y and reticle at 30 or whatever. Then you'll always know the lower "dot " is the laser if you have both on simultaneously 

I guess I’m just going to try it a few different ways and experiment with what works for me... Since only green lasers are daylight bright, and there’s no freaking way I’m getting rid of the green reticle, guess I’ll have to make it work I guess lol.

Turn the outer halo in the holosun on. Whichever green dot isn’t aligned with the halo gets ignored. Like Rowdy said, it makes sense to have the laser sighted for close headshots, so it’ll be low and easy to tell apart.

(And I cannot imagine the laser will be even half as bright as a green 510c is when turned up to full power in an outdoor situation. The difference in brightness should help.)

Edited by MemphisMechanic
13 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Turn the outer halo in the holosun on. Whichever green dot isn’t aligned with the halo gets ignored. Like Rowdy said, it makes sense to have the laser sighted for close headshots, so it’ll be low and easy to tell apart.

(And I cannot imagine the laser will be even half as bright as a green 510c is when turned up to full power in an outdoor situation. The difference in brightness should help.)

That’s exactly what I was thinking I’ll try... if the laser dot is “buried” in the halo it shouldn’t annoy me and be a better POI for the closer targets I’ll be using it for... that’s the plan anyway hahaha 

2 hours ago, George16 said:

I have my green laser zeroed at 10 yards while my red dot is zeroed at 30 yards. 

Think I’ll probably end up around there somewhere... 

Thinking 25 & 7, or maybe even 20 & 7 might work..?

Zeroing at 20 seems like a decent compromise to me, around 1” low 7-15ish, 1” or more high at 25+, I like my pistols to print a little high at 25yrds so I can “lollipop” a 6” plate at 25 by putting it on top of the front blade...

I’m not married to any particular load yet, so I’ll have to experiment anyways... I just got a Gen 3 MPX and am still learning it’s recoil/dot tracking, I don’t reload so I’ve been going back and forth between 115gr Tula (seems pretty nice actually 😂 ) and 130gr PCC-specific Syntech (Nerf-gun recoil, might be too soft), not sure what will end up being my “go-to” ammo yet... I’ve pretty much changed everything (gun/sight,etc) recently, and my work schedule hasn’t been kind as far as hitting matches, so I’ve got some dialing ahead of me...

Edited by ck1

I zeroed them at the same distance so I get used to only using one set of holdovers. I also used the laser on longer shots indoors before, with uncomfortable left leans or uncomfortable shooting positions. Outdoors useful range drops pretty drastically, but indoors I used it up to 25m without problems. 

Height over bore on the laser is much shorter on the laser. 3 yards on the laser for me. 12 yards on the 510c.

The green laser is highly visible IMO and I have to keep myself from looking at it, esp on steel at distance (white background makes it pop). I like the laser for classifier type hip-starts and close headshots so I don't have to use holdovers. 

Mounted up and zeroed my CT CMR-206 today...IDK if it's staying honestly. It's not a zeroing thing at all.

I think I've found a couple issues I've got with it that I didn't foresee having:

1. If I mount it in front of my sight, the laser just projects right into my thumb (I shoot thumb-over-bore), so not only is it useless unless I change my grip, it's also distracting as hell if I use my normal grip.

2. Mounted at 12 o'clock at the end of the rail nearest the muzzle, the laser projects fine and my hand isn't in the way anymore; except then, the laser unit, small as it is, takes up a whole bunch of field-of-view looking through the sight and overall makes things much less "open". I don't dig it. Though I think I'm just not used to it, because my thumb blocks nearly as much if I'm real about it, so this is probably my best option.

3. It looks like it may just be bright enough to be distracting indoors or under overcast/grey outdoor conditions compared to the brightness of my reticle IMHO... I didn't think it would be, and I can definitely turn up the brightness on my sight to match or be brighter than the laser, but the laser is one-brightness-fits-all, and indoors or on a greyish day it is without a doubt brighter than I'd set my sight.

I don't think I like any of the compromises I've stumbled upon here. That said, I suppose I could try mounting it out front at 6 o'clock ... but IDK if I'd like that because then it'd only be a matter of time until I smashed it into a barricade or something lol! 

So, unless I get used to it at 12 o’clock on the end of the rail, AND actually use it here and there, more than likely the laser is coming off. IDK, guess I could try it at 3 or 9 o’clock too...

On a side note: looks like the HE507C-GR is shipping, so might try one of those on 45-degree mount... 

Edited by ck1

I have mine mounted at 12 o'clock but I use a c-more. If I look for it I can see the laser in the bottom part of my sight, but, when shooting I never see it. I'm too focused on the target and the red dot. Maybe the 510 sits lower though, IDK. I only turn my laser on if I see there's a situation in a stage where it would be of benefit.

OP, I have exactly the same setup for this year season: green 510c and green 206

-I have mine 6 o'clock near the comp. I have yet to smash the laser into a barricade; it always the comp that take the brunt. You make a valid point though, as I feel the "wings" (on/off switches) of the 206 are fragile if given a good whack.

-I didn't look though the 510c; but instead looked on top of the 510c when I really needed the laser 

-In all honestly, I think have only benefited twice using the laser this year: the sun washing out the 510c and and extremely impossible hard lean  

On 8/27/2019 at 5:38 PM, balmo said:

OP, I have exactly the same setup for this year season: green 510c and green 206

-I have mine 6 o'clock near the comp. I have yet to smash the laser into a barricade; it always the comp that take the brunt. You make a valid point though, as I feel the "wings" (on/off switches) of the 206 are fragile if given a good whack.

-I didn't look though the 510c; but instead looked on top of the 510c when I really needed the laser 

-In all honestly, I think have only benefited twice using the laser this year: the sun washing out the 510c and and extremely impossible hard lean  

Yeah, mounted the laser at 6 o’clock near the comp and think it’ll live there until I smash it into something, I definitely prefer the FOV through my optic with it out of the way... 

I may never use it, but if I didn’t have it and the opportunity presented itself to turn my whole squad into cats for a bit, I’d be bummed 🤪

Boresighted it in my kitchen @ like 5-7 yards lol.