Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First open gun advice...

jbultman

Looking at playing around for fun in open. I’m a limited shooter, with 2011s, have been for a few years and am going to stay that way for a while, I love the division.

However, a couple times a year I get the urge to shoot in another division just for kicks but don’t have unlimited funds (max: $3000) to make it happen. I want to play in open to stay similar to limited in stage plan, mag changes, etc. 

I’ve been looking into what to get and a couple of options have come up and I would like to know what you guys think...

Option 1: I have a MOS Glock 34. Would buy a barrel, comp, racemaster insert, extended mags. $500

Option 2: Buy a used 2011 off the forums $2000-$3000 depending on the gun.

Option 3: CK arms ‘open solution’. $3000

Option 4: buy a used 9mm sti outfitted for limited minor, have it converted to open. $?

Thoughts? Thanks, J

Edited by jbultman

Option 2 would be what I would do. IMO the guys that build the  glock , m&p open guns wind up not using them , and can’t get their money back out of them only to buy a 2011 a short time after... Some guys love them but the fact that you already shoot a 2011 Is another reason 

Option 2 is far and away best scenario since you aren’t in a rush..... you can patiently wait out the classifieds for a deal at that price point.  Then after you have scratched the itch turn around and let it go for little to no money lost.  All the other options end with significant losses if you ever wash your hands of open.

In your position I would likely go option #2.  The Glock open gun is not a great idea.  Have you given any thought to having an open upper for one of you 2011s build and then having the frame drilled/tapped for the optic mount?

Stop fu--ing around.  If you are going open, build a proper open gun.  You'll probably like it and if you don't have the gun you want you'll just build it anyway.  At least this way you'll save money by spending more on the front end.

I went Option 2 since there are a lot of nice used open guns in the classifieds here.

I've found out the hard way on another purchase that trying to re-barrel or convert a 2011 isn't cheap.

I do like the suggestion of Option 5 though... toss an optic on your MOS G34 and have fun in CO

Sounds like it’s between option 2 and option 3. I’m not on a rush so it sounds like purchasing a used 2011 from the forums or elsewhere is going to be the best bet. I’ll temporarily play for a little in carry optics while I make my mind up and find an open gun.

Anything I need to pay attention to or look out for? 

Mags? Sti vs mbx 

Dot? Slide ride vs rts2 vs other

anything else?

Edited by jbultman

Option 5 would be the way to go, but if you want to shoot open I would save up a little more money and get a good open gun. Shoot Carry Optics for awhile until

you find the right open gun you want.

As far as mags go, MBX stock are the best.  Infinity Gen 1 mags with TTI guts are next best.  STI mags are okay, but the feed lips need tuning from time to time.  It's easy to do, but still a nuisance.  I have all three I mentioned.  The STIs have heavy extended base pads on them, so they hit base first when you drop them.  That saves the feed lips.

Dots.  I have a Slideride, four DPPs, three RTS2v4s and five FF3s.  My favorites are the DPPs and the FF3s.  Both are extremely reliable and hold zero.  Both are easy on the battery.  The C-Mores don't hold zero well with major loads, and are hard on batteries.  Three of my Open guns wear DPPs, as does my old Limited gun.  The fourth wears a Slideride.

Two of the FF3s are slide mounted on 1911 45s.  40,000 rounds of major or near major without issues.

9 vs 40?

i have the ability to reload both. 9 major is the typical choice but I already have the major load plus 140mm mags to shoot 40

Edited by jbultman

I have both 40 and 9mm major Open guns and I still can't decide which I like better.  40 is easier to load for, shoots flatter and ejects better.  9mm brass is a problem.  There is a lot of junk out there, and much of it is bulged.  Case capacity is small, so you are really limited in what you can load. 9mm bullets are cheaper, and they go faster.

The only disadvantage of 40 is 3 fewer rounds in the mag.  Bullets are a cent more each.   40 and 9mm cost me the same to reload, because I'm not willing to push through size and swage primer pockets.  So I buy fully processed once fired 9mm brass.  With 40 a Lee FCD takes care of any remaining Glock bulge.

Since the OP wants to stage plan like Limited, the extra 3 rounds of 9mm aren't essential.  20 rounds reloadable is just like Limited.  26 in a big stick is great for stages with lots of steel.  The only time I have a clear preference is when shooting lots of steel.  40 Open major knocks them down faster.  For steel challenge minor is minor; however, you can buy factory 135PF 9mm JHPs.  You have to load your own 40.

Edited by zzt