Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

adj comb or not

gunner40sw

I am buying a browning 725 citori sporting high rib and I cant decide if I should get the adj comb. I looked at one at the NRA meeting and it had the comb at it was raised a little bit.  The comb semed to high so I just looked at one and the comb was all the way down and it was a better fit.  I also will be adding some brand of an adjustable butt pad and I dont want a big deal to fit it if the comb hardware is in the way.

So I am afraid if I dont get the adj comb I may regret it.  Any suggestions

Get the adjustable comb. You will probably want it sooner than later. 

I bought my citori with the plain stock. As I got better, I sent the stock off to Graco to have an adjustable butt pad and comb added. It wasn’t cheap, but it was money well spent to get the gun to hit where I look. 

ETA:  my comb is raised about 1/4”. Not much but it makes a huge difference on the scorecard. 

Edited by practical_man

Stand at a 40-yard patterning board. From a low gun start, mount the gun quickly and trigger the shot as soon as the bead hits the target.  Do that 5 times. Then look at the pattern center. If it's not where you want it to , or inconsistent, you may want an adjustable comb to get your eye and the bead and the POI adjusted properly.

If the pattern center is consistent, and right where you want it, your gun is GTO, and you can save the money for shells.

The factory adjustable comb sucks. The hardware sucks, and the cut sucks.

You'll be much happier getting a non adjustable comb stock, then having someone add an aftermarket adjustable comb to it.

On 6/2/2019 at 1:59 AM, ysrracer said:

The factory adjustable comb sucks. The hardware sucks, and the cut sucks.

You'll be much happier getting a non adjustable comb stock, then having someone add an aftermarket adjustable comb to it.

You have an excellent point.

Hard to beat this man's work:    https://tronspace.com/

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Get the adjustable comb- there are different heights for trap, skeet and live birds- if the adjustable comb that comes with the gun does not work for you have a stock maker make adjustments for your personal fit. etc. An adjustable comb is worth the money if the stock fits you like a glove AND you can consistently hit the target.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

If you're shooting one game, the rub with the adjustable comb is once you set it, you leave it alone. I set my Browning Ultra XT once, but really did not need to. I've shot others without an adj comb and it fit perfectly, you my be lucky and get one that fits and you save the buckazoids, if it doesn't you can have the stock tweaked for you with either a custom comb or maybe even bending it.  

If you're shooting more than one game maybe the adj comb is a good idea.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you get a Browning with an adjustable comb and it's the type of comb hardware that has the rod sticking out the back to raise and lower the comb you will not be able to change the lop without a whole lot of trouble. Stock Positioning Systems sell comb hardware to fix this but unless you know how to install it I'd pass. I'd definitely have Tron put an adjustable comb on it.

• 5 months later...

I got the adjustable comb when I bought my 725 but have never had to adjust it from all the way down. I bought a used 425 a with the adjustable comb and had to raise it one spacer. I bought a new BT 99 and had a Graco butpad system and the adjustable comb added aftermarket and it also need one spacer. I figured different guns may need different systems so I get the adjustable just in case I need it, if I don't well ok.

• 5 months later...