Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SDM Super Sight vs Dawson Fiber Optic?

ysrracer

After taking about 20 years off from pistol shooting (I've been shooting sporting clays shotguns) I bought a S&W 627, 8 shot .38 special.

At 60 years old the first thing I did was replace the gold bead font sight with a Dawson Fiber Optic. It was a huge improvement.

Then I saw the SDM Super Sight. It's literally twice as long as the Dawson, and the fiber optic is twice as big.

Man, what a difference !! Almost like when I had cataract surgery.

Any of you guys using one?

Screenshot_20190523-145231.png

Edited by ysrracer

Depends, some like a BIG FO.  I tend towards a smaller one as a really big one seems to bleed out the sides of the FS for me.

Also need to decide what diameter FS works best for you and the RS you have.  There again the trend has been for thinner FS with more light on the sides.

One of the beauties of the 627, and about the only thing other than grips we can play with, is the ease of changing out the FS.

A really critical thing for me on a FO FS is that the dot be recessed into the FS.  Hate one that has a blob of Dot  on the FS.

Edited by pskys2

Depends, some like a BIG FO.  I tend towards a smaller one as a really big one seems to bleed out the sides of the FS for me.
Also need to decide what diameter FS works best for you and the RS you have.  There again the trend has been for thinner FS with more light on the sides.
One of the beauties of the 627, and about the only thing other than grips we can play with, is the ease of changing out the FS.
A really critical thing for me on a FO FS is that the dot be recessed into the FS.  Hate one that has a blob of Dot  on the FS.
I shoot a .040" fiber in a .100" wide front sight. I prefer a .115 wide rear notch when it's available.

I used the sdm exclusively until the end of the 2017 season. If you’re shooting uspsa, icore and steel I think it’s the right front sight, especially if you like it bright or are just starting with revolver. 

I switched everything over to smaller Dawson’s. My main reason to try it was at the world shoot I noticed how small a lot of the targets were and I was covering too much of the target with the sdm. 

The sdm is basically cheating when going fast. 

I prefer the Dawson .110" width FO on my pinned front sight revolvers. However on the revolvers that have the quick change front sight I prefer the SDM . I have had the Dawson front sight get knocked off during a stage where the SDM will stay in place . The extra length of the SDM prevents it from getting removed accidently but does make it a little bit harder to install or remove when you chose to.

I prefer the Dawson .110" width FO on my pinned front sight revolvers. However on the revolvers that have the quick change front sight I prefer the SDM . I have had the Dawson front sight get knocked off during a stage where the SDM will stay in place . The extra length of the SDM prevents it from getting removed accidently but does make it a little bit harder to install or remove when you chose to.
Dawson has changed the shape of the base on their DX sights since I got my first one. It's not really s problem anymore.

If you have an old Dawson DX sight, you can put a detent ball behind the spring that holds the front sight. This compresses the spring a little more and solves the problem.

IMHO Dawson makes the best front sights in the industry. For some shots you do need to see the top of the front sight, and their recessed .040 fiber doesn't flare as much as other sights. That said, at 48 that sight is starting to get pretty fuzzy.

11 hours ago, PatJones said:

I shoot a .040" fiber in a .100" wide front sight. I prefer a .115 wide rear notch when it's available.

In a Revolver I'm using the stock .196 high RS, think it's a .125 width, and a .125 serrated FS w/.040 FO.  

• 8 months later...

I used the SDM on my 627 for years, but eventually I had to put a piece of tape on the fiber because it was too bright.  It washes out the sharp edges of the sight for distance shooting, like on Far and Near Standards.  Now I use a Dawson, and I really like it.  The narrower front post gives a little more clearance for better visibility of the target, and it is bright enough for me.

IMG_0551.jpg

IMG_0552.jpg

IMG_0553.jpg

IMG_0554.jpg

At least some 627s are DX fronts.   Push them to the rear and tilt the front out.  I found a drop of oil in the sight channel helped loosen things up.

if the pin is to the front of the sight you have a DX.  If it is centered it is pinned.

62 is not old it is the new young. Live life like you own it. In USPSA I made B class in open using a revolver with a dot. I was 60 at the time. I do not see myself slowing down until they put me in the ground. ✌🏻

I do the best I can two years ago I spent my 60th birthday in the ER had 4 blockages two 90% two 75% next day I had two stints put in. I now have diabetes and diabetic neuropathy it sucks cuz my feet are on fire all the time and don't have hardly any feeling in them hard for me to run at all but I don't try to let it stop me I really enjoy shooting USPSA even if I don't have very fast times I have fun life is to short I am going to enjoy my self as much as I can before the worms bring my mail I hope to meet you some time at one of the shoots

Ron    

Edited by MRBerg