Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

VR80 Handguard / Heat Shield

Underwood

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I tried a suppressor cover. Looked good, but started having feeding issues. Took it off, back to perfect function. I’m thinking that the cloth might have been pushing in the holes and dragging on the piston a little?  Haven’t tried it since. 

• 5 months later...

I lined the inside of the handguard with two layers of aluminum foil duct tape because I didn't like getting hit in the face with all of the excess gas.  I just cut a long piece of tape to a slightly longer than handguard length, peeled the backing paper off and slid it into the handguard without touching anything until both ends were sticking out of the handguard, then carefully stuck it into place.  I used a long round bristle brush shoved through the handguard to make sure the tape was firmly stuck.  I repeated with two more pieces of tape, overlapping by about 1/3 width of the tape.  Then repeated for a second layer.  When I had all the tape in place, I trimmed the ends with an X-Acto knife to clear the handguard nut and receiver.  No more gas in the face.  I also put the ATI heat wrap around the outside.  

It has held up well for about 400 rounds of everything from heavy buckshot and slugs to light 1 oz birdshot.

Nolan

Sorry for the poor picture. I used kydex and bent it around the handguard and then used some camo scope wrap I had to keep it in place and give me more of a grippy surface. Unsure as to the longevity of this but I think the kydex will help the wrap withstand the heat.

A3E10741-8405-429D-B4D5-79012C5CEEEA.jpeg

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/8/2020 at 1:09 PM, FatPanda said:

Sorry for the poor picture. I used kydex and bent it around the handguard and then used some camo scope wrap I had to keep it in place and give me more of a grippy surface. Unsure as to the longevity of this but I think the kydex will help the wrap withstand the heat.

A3E10741-8405-429D-B4D5-79012C5CEEEA.jpeg

Holy moly, that pistol is a looker!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I went with the Tooth and Nail Armory VR80 14.25" Handguard:

While the stock handguard looks awesome, three things caused me two switch:

1. The heat.  The piston is just to damn close to the handguard and I'm not a big fan of having to either wear a glove or put some s#!tty shield/covering over the handguard.  The handguard should be on full display and not hidden.  Why have an awesome looking handguard only to have to cover 1/2 of it up because of the heat?
  2. M LOK support.  Although the sides of the handguard have M LOK slots, you can't use all of them.  attaching anything to the middle M LOK slots will impede the gas piston so they're essentially useless
  3. No bottom M LOK slots if you want to put in a fore end, foregrip or hand stop.  Not a real deal breaker for me, but I'm considering getting one and the stock handguard prevents that from happening.

The T&N Handguard has a much wider diameter, with more room between your hand and the piston and it has M LOK support around the entire guard.  And it doesn't impede the piston.

Anyone else have the Tooth and Nail handguard?

Edited by SuperTed