Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Set up of two competition guns?

rowdyb

I have two gen 5 G34 mos/fs guns. I have two sets of identical iron sights that protrude enough you can not run an optic plate and them at the same time. I have one optic. I primarily shoot Prod 85% of the time but CO the other 15%. I also shoot IDPA on the rare occasion, usually SSP but now I also could have a CO gun. I am also not afraid to push a rear sight out and back in.

Knowing that background information would you:

Option A- Set up both guns with irons and exactly the same for Prod/SSP. Have the practice gun and the match gun style set up. Convert one gun to CO back and forth as needed. + Less wear and tear on one gun. Two identical guns for my main division. - Rezero of sights whenever I want to shoot CO

Option B-Set up one gun for each division solely. The Prod/SSP gun would get the most use and see double duty as match and practice gun. Leave the other CO set up and only convert it to Prod if needed. + One gun ready for each at any time. - One gun will get significantly more use than the other. No ready to go back up gun.

I guess there is an Option C, and that is sell the two iron sights I have now, replace them with the Dawson ones that don't protrude and just run Iron sights on them all. Negative? The $160 I already spent on the first set of two new sights would be doubled by buying two more sets of sights for $160....

Option D.  Get another G34 MOS and set it up for CO.  Use one of the others as a backup just in case.

What happened to the S2s?

Edited by LuvDog

42 minutes ago, LuvDog said:

What happened to the S2s?

Still in the safe. Just sold my TSO to do this though, and hopefully my P10 will sell soon as well.

Just making an external change to hopefully generate some internal motivation, as I'd been feeling stalled lately. Hoping that the allure of different guns and the perception "being behind" will push me a little more. And I can't easily shoot a shadow2 across those divisions and sports.

What about getting another MOS upper only or mill a plain upper and use that as dedicated CO.

you could swap between lowers to keep round counts similar.

Edited by LuvDog

12 minutes ago, LuvDog said:

t about getting another MOS upper only or mill a plain upper and use that as dedicated CO

Looking more and doing with the parts I have. Any problem gets easier if one throws money at it, hahaha. A solution of "get more stuff" isn't really a solution for me right now.

EGW dovetail mount with an optic etc.

Have it in the parts box for the 10% of the time.

when the 10% comes, push the rear sight out, push egw base in , attach optic go sight in and get used to 

draw alignment .   go win the C/O match!!!

Come home take optic off and re install rear sight to org. mark.  Or measure with the tail end of your

caliper to the same spot it was.  

Since it's the back up gun check the sight next time your practicing.  Back in bag for back up to main gun.

Get tired of messing with Glocks, go directly back to what you know ,i.e. your CZ   LOL!

You'll get through this and get re charged soon!!!

Good Fortune!

Option b. And I like the idea of carrying the other gun to majors as a parts gun.

Switching things back and forth all the time blows. I won't even switch AR uppers anymore

So after a little hard thinking and your input I came up with a solution. Thank you all for your help. Evidently I am not the first person to order TTI iron sights for a MOS gun and then go "oh wait, now I can't swap the plate in and out!" Which is the whole purpose of having a gun where you can do both, right?

So I am going to set up both guns exactly the same with the same iron sights. But.... one of the guns will have had just a tiny bit of its rear sight milled off like in the pictures posted. So it will be the go-to CO gun where I can switch quickly and still keep irons on a gun.

Screenshot_20190519-135931_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190519-135938_Chrome.jpg

4 hours ago, Novagunner said:

Seems easier to set one up for each division and maybe carry the other with you as a parts gun if anything breaks on whichever one you are shooting at the time.

This makes more sense to me. Glocks are completely interchangeable. Guaranteed that unless it's a pretty catastrophic failure you could just steal whatever part you needed from what was the "backup/other division" gun at the time. I shoot Glocks and I don't carry a backup, other than my carry G19 that I know I could use for most simple parts if necessary.

When I shot a gen3 G34 back in 2013 all I ever broke was two trigger return springs. That's a very quick part's swap. Not sure if anyone has put enough miles on a gen5 34 to find what will be its competition parts weak point.

Between my wife and I, we have 5 Gen 5 34  pistols, tens of thousands of rounds downrange, and have yet to break a single part. That is unless you count optics, as we have broken a bunch of them. 

Before I spent a bunch of money setting them up, I would see how your performance compares to the S2 and P10F. Up close no issues, but on skunks and other low prob shots, I find the Glock trigger harder than others. 

41 minutes ago, CharlieD said:

I run TTI sights on three of my glocks with and without optics.  I just cut them with a dremel as you pictured above.  

Do you mind sharing any pics either here or PM

I'll be interested in chatting with you at Area 4 about this. I'm currently using a Gen4 34 with my Gen4 17 as a "emergency" back up or parts donor. Have been holding off on moving to a Gen5 34 as the allure of a Stock 2 is fluttering around the back of my mind. 

For you milling off the front ledge sounds easy and will solve the problem. Of course as others have said, it's a Glock. Odds are it's not gonna go down and/or for a few bucks you can replace all the springs every 10k rounds.

2 hours ago, Slalom45 said:

ou can replace all the springs every 10k rounds.

I am that person anyways. I have been on a regular spring replacement schedule on my CZ's for years so I just take it as a cost of doing business. I won't slack on that just 'cause it's a Glock.

I will probably be out there Friday to watch stages a little and I shoot all day Saturday only. Come and find me and yea, let's talk.

Guns came in today. Mounted a Burris FF3 on one of them in minutes. Waiting on a few TTI parts and my holsters and pouches. So far I like the no finger grooves, the new trigger bar and the flared magwell. It is visually jarring to have a 34 with no cut in the top of the slide.

9 hours ago, rowdyb said:

Guns came in today. Mounted a Burris FF3 on one of them in minutes. Waiting on a few TTI parts and my holsters and pouches. So far I like the no finger grooves, the new trigger bar and the flared magwell. It is visually jarring to have a 34 with no cut in the top of the slide.

I was pretty impressed with the inner milling of the slide on my Gen 5. They did some neat stuff to keep the weight down but structural integrity high.

Depending on what you want or plan to do, the TTI springs make the trigger REALLY nice. The TTI/stock (-) connector isnt bad if you like a rolling break, Ive settled on the dot connector for my preferred trigger feel with more of a wall.