How to find sponsors

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Chili said:

This quote tells me you have pretty much zero understanding of how a relationship with a sponsor is going to work, and how it is doomed to fail if you actually found one. 

So, how does it work?

To me, it was simple. I'm even doing more than I was requested to. I was asked to shoot a match only, the entire year, and have a good result. Meanwhile I'm trying to help anyway, even if I don't have to. 

I'm slowly trying to develop a network for that exact reason @rowdyb

So, do most top shooters earn money by teaching people only? It seems like that's the only way to have some income. 

8 hours ago, rowdyb said:

Shoot 4 locals a month? At 20 a match and 20 for ammo you're at an easy $300 a month just to shoot locals.

Help me with your math, please.  I come up $140 ahead.

28 minutes ago, elguapo said:

Add in Fuel, Food, etc. and you're way past $300 a month for four locals a month.  

The vast majority of people shooting USPSA are sponsored...by themselves. Come to grips with the situation. It costs money and time. Decide what you can or can't live with or without, and go from there. Use coupons and codes to get discounts. Forget about shooting for free or even half price...it isn't going to happen until if and when you win a NC...and maybe (probably) not even then. 

All of what you have stated in this thread is a distraction, for you, from shooting. You should be focused on the shooting if you truly want to become better and sponsored.

Edit to add...I really wanted to say in response to "How do I find spinsors" is "Look behind trees, bushes, under rugs, etc....that's where all the sponsors are hiding".

Every time I called any company to get sponsor for a match for prize table, they remind how many people are looking for freebies .

4 minutes ago, kneelingatlas said:

Your best bet is to own a construction company, wear your company shirt to matches and call it a sponsorship.  So I've been told 🤔

At one time I had a full ride from H&H Enterprises he paid everything.  😂me

4 hours ago, elguapo said:

You're right. I was doing it wrong and thinking shooting Saturday and Sunday every weekend, every month. So 8 matches a month a 40 each for ammo and entry costs combined would be 320. 4 x 40 is just 160.

7 hours ago, xdf3 said:

So, how does it work?

To me, it was simple. I'm even doing more than I was requested to. I was asked to shoot a match only, the entire year, and have a good result. Meanwhile I'm trying to help anyway, even if I don't have to. 

I'm slowly trying to develop a network for that exact reason @rowdyb

So, do most top shooters earn money by teaching people only? It seems like that's the only way to have some income. 

I've made money from shooting by 1. Teaching. 2. Gun smithing. 3. Getting a job at a shop. 4. Writing magazine articles.

So I've "made" a few thousand  y spending 10s of thousands to get any sort of reputation.

Mink told me of the 30k people shooting uspsa less than 10 are getting paid just to shoot. Lots (30-40?)of people have industry jobs and other responsibilities that allow them to shoot, but shooting isn't their job.

Jj owns a gun shop and teaches. Max teaches and does promo work for sig. Casey works for federal. Ben sells books, runs a web store and teaches like mad. Vogel teaches.

There is no, I repeat no money is just shooting uspsa. 

Want to make a house payment from shooting? Join the army. Or win an Olympic gold. Or world level shotgun. 

Sorry for lurking on this thread (for no one in their right mind would want to sponsor me) but since my other passion is music, thought I’d share an appropriate joke from that world: “How do you make a million dollars in the music business? Start with two million...” budump bum. I’m here all week, try the fish...

There’s always the argument that you should invest the energy spent chasing deals and BSing online towards making more money with your day job. 

Buy factory ammo and have other people tune your guns so you spend more of your shooting time shooting rather than doing ancillary tasks.

I bet you can earn more in an extra hour at work than you would save dicking around with less than critical gun talk.

Edited by Frankly

12 hours ago, Pirate said:

Add in Fuel, Food, etc. and you're way past $300 a month for four locals a month.  

I drive less than 80 miles each way to shoot weekend matches in a vehicle that isn't a 15 mpg behemoth.  I eat a strong breakfast at home and I pack water and protein snacks. 

I'm still way under $300 a month.

5 hours ago, Frankly said:

I bet you can earn more in an extra hour at work than you would save dicking around with less than critical gun talk.

I bet not.  Not everyone punches a clock.

3 minutes ago, elguapo said:

The olympic stuff doesn't pay s#!t, at least not in the USA. 

I think Rowdy is just talking Army in general? But it got me to thinking. I served 22 years in the Army and I’ll bet I shot more ammo in one season of USPSA than I did in my Army career.  I’m sure it’s just like being a cop. Qualify periodically and put the gun away until next time.

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

I think Rowdy is just talking Army in general? But it got me to thinking. I served 22 years in the Army and I’ll bet I shot more ammo in one season of USPSA than I did in my Army career.  I’m sure it’s just like being a cop. Qualify periodically and put the gun away until next time.

I figured he was talking about the Army Marksmanship Unit because otherwise you're right.

I served in the Navy and I shoot more in one hour of practice than I did in all ten years I wore that uniform.

2 hours ago, elguapo said:

I bet not.  Not everyone punches a clock.

I figure a lot of the people in 3G are self-employed small business owners, six-figure incomes... so that hour would be finding new clients, sales, designing, something significant. But if they're not making that kind of money then they're single. Ain't nobody doing this working lousy jobs with a family (and doing it right on any aspect). 

7 hours ago, Frankly said:

I figure a lot of the people in 3G are self-employed small business owners, six-figure incomes... so that hour would be finding new clients, sales, designing, something significant. But if they're not making that kind of money then they're single. Ain't nobody doing this working lousy jobs with a family (and doing it right on any aspect). 

I'm glad you know everyone's finances so well.  I should hire you.

1 hour ago, elguapo said:

I'm glad you know everyone's finances so well.  I should hire you.

You should have. I retired from... marketing analysis at 44. 

15 hours ago, Sarge said:

This is pretty close.  We qualify twice a year with all our guns.  Some agencies do it quarterly and most SWAT/SRT teams shoot monthly.