Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case blew up during rapid fire. Help me!

Schultz77

23 minutes ago, drewbeck said:

Not to totally contradict but just spray some gun oil, wd40, or other lubricant in it to soak outside the case and use a brush, pick, tweezers, etc to remove.

the case expanded and wedged itself inside the chamber during firing but cools and shrinks after firing.  It happens every time you fire a round, you’re just missing the rim and extractor now.  There’s carbon that’s making it sticky 

Freezing works because brass contracts more in cold temperatures than steel.  If there is carbon holding the case, freezing will reduce the friction, because the difference of diameter between the chamber and the brass will increase the colder it gets.  So, the case gets easier to remove.  

Also, I'd try it dry first, because it is easier to apply lubricant than to remove it.  If dry doesn't work, then try lubricant.  

Basically, both of our methods are just different approaches.  Neither is WRONG, just different...  

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually you usually can see a ring on the outside of stepped brass. Perhaps not always, but more often than not. I always inspect brass before reloading and can almost always recognize stepped brass before reading the headstamp.

Freezing works because brass contracts more in cold temperatures than steel.  If there is carbon holding the case, freezing will reduce the friction, because the difference of diameter between the chamber and the brass will increase the colder it gets.  So, the case gets easier to remove.  

Also, I'd try it dry first, because it is easier to apply lubricant than to remove it.  If dry doesn't work, then try lubricant.  

Basically, both of our methods are just different approaches.  Neither is WRONG, just different...  

Ya, I understand your logic, but the case was always undersized and wasn’t a press fit into the chamber to begin with. Your talking about the coefficient of thermal expansion which wouldn’t be applicable unless the chamber had enough pressure to expand more than the case to begin with and then constrict on the case due to differential pressures.

In something like a Jacobs or Morse taper, this is an entirely different situation than a thin piece of brass in a relatively thick walled piece of steel.

Just my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, Schultz77 said:

This is all I have cousin lost the other piece. 

C8E87D20-2E74-416B-85A9-3225B2254907.jpeg

Can't see the step from the picture, but it certainly looks like the case broke right where the step would have been. Which makes sense because it's where the thick part of the case meets the thin part and there would be a stress concentration at that corner. I believe that will have been a piece of stepped brass.

Next time try to find and keep everything so that you can properly diagnose the issue.

Happened to me once. A 2mm ring of brass stuck in the chamber.

Removed it with a sharp metal dental pick, wasn’t too difficult.

Be careful not to scratch anything.

Brushes, slugging and freezing did not work.

Edited by GhostDog
Typo

Can you all explain why stepped brass is:

1. Made in the first place

2. What is the purpose of the step

3.Why factory loads work with stepped cases

4. Why do occasional hand loads have a problem with stepped cases

I have been loading 45acp for 30 years but am fairly new to 9mm and just this past year have seen my first step cases from gathering brass after a class

thanks

17 minutes ago, Tawadc95 said:

Can you all explain why stepped brass is:

1. Made in the first place

2. What is the purpose of the step

3.Why factory loads work with stepped cases

4. Why do occasional hand loads have a problem with stepped cases

I have been loading 45acp for 30 years but am fairly new to 9mm and just this past year have seen my first step cases from gathering brass after a class

thanks

I was told from good source that even ask FM that question. They save money on powder. Less charge to push. I’ve seen them stuck in few open guns at 9 major pushing 1400 FPS. It happens with pcc with long barrels. I’ve never seen it in minor load like your but it could have been stressed before u loaded it

So, it is a reduce capacity case therefore probably easily over pressure at higher end loading book loads which were developed with straight walled cases most likely, the step appears to join the case wall at a 90 degree angle producing a nice sheer line.

I've been tossing some and loading some...I use 115lrn Blue Bullet with 4.3gn of 231.

Sounds like a good practice to toss them all.

Interesting!

reduced capacity case... yer kiddin'...

any way to convince them to skip the step?

if they just tapered the case to have a thicker wall at the bottom

the volume would be reduced without creating a case with a built in stress riser. 

I would think that a super case for feeding any of the less supported chambers.

I avoid buying ammo I know has stepped cases because I do not trust it.

miranda

I always thought it was to prevent extreme bullet setback.... but it causes a ton of other issues in the process.

My powder cop die does a good job of catching these if I don't w/ 3.5gr of Clays, but might miss it w/ 3.2 of TG. 

56 minutes ago, ezra650 said:

This is why I plan to buy processed and head stamp sorted brass when I start loading 9major. It's very easy to miss unless you pick up each case and look inside of it.

It’s easy use hundo case gage. Then look over head stamps. 

17 minutes ago, echotango said:

An M die and some powder dies may pick up the one on the right, but not the one on the left. I'm working on a die that will in the primer location of a 1050. 

20190416_115252.jpg

nHzkaiW.jpgthat will pick up the one on the right. Does m die pick up the smaller step fm ammoload?

28 minutes ago, 36873687 said:

nHzkaiW.jpgthat will pick up the one on the right. Does m die pick up the smaller step fm ammoload?

It does not.  It stops hard on the big step but the small step is a lot more popular and harder to spot.  I got an everglades primer hold down die but is barely misses the step. I am going out today to see what kind of sleeve or something I can get for it. 

11 minutes ago, echotango said:

It does not.  It stops hard on the big step but the small step is a lot more popular and harder to spot.  I got an everglades primer hold down die but is barely misses the step. I am going out today to see what kind of sleeve or something I can get for it. 

Let me know I also have Everglades hold down.