Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Setting up Lee FCD on 650

B_RAD

I read the instructions but when I screw the die down far enough to touch the shell plate, the lock ring is screwed all the way off the threads and can't be locked down. 

A friend said he just screwed the lock ring on the bottom side of the tool head. Anyone see any issues with that?

4 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

I read the instructions but when I screw the die down far enough to touch the shell plate, the lock ring is screwed all the way off the threads and can't be locked down. 

A friend said he just screwed the lock ring on the bottom side of the tool head. Anyone see any issues with that?

I don't run mine low enough to do much sizing. I just use it to crimp. BUT, I do run a LEE Udie and put the nut on the bottom because of no threads left on top. It causes no problems.

Same here no issues.

The Whidden floating tool head on my 40 setup I had to loctite it in place due to it's design.  Works.  I was having concentricity issues so I went down all roads and I'm down to 1-2% that won't pass the hundo, but still shoot ok in practice.

Not gonna lie, instill don't know what it does differently than the Dillon?  Just had several people recommend it. So,...  

Though, I wasn't getting many cause gauge failures with the Dillon. 

19 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

Not gonna lie, instill don't know what it does differently than the Dillon?  Just had several people recommend it. So,...  

the FCD has a sizing ring at the bottom, so it gives your cartridge one last squeeze on the way up to getting taper-crimped. 

some people claim that with thick-walled brass they can swage down a lead or coated /plated bullet

The 9mm FCD only has a carbide ring at the top.  It will not size the whole case like the 40 and 45 will.

If I use the FCD with .401" bullets, the portion of the bullet that is inside the case IS swaged down to .400".  It doesn't matter what brass you are using.  The portion that is outside the case is not swaged.

When I was using the FCD I had to use the lock ring on the under side of the tool head to lock the die in place, ended up switching my die set up, never really saw a benefit with the FCD in my set up.

10 hours ago, B_RAD said:

Why are you using a LFC die?  I don't like swaging the bullet down after they were sized at the factory or the bullet maker.  For matches, just take your barrel out and do the plunk test for your ammo.  For practice, if a bullet is a little oversize and does not chamber all the way, it is good practice to clear it.  I don't like relying on a crimp to keep the bullet in place; I use an undersize resizing die, and that provides a good friction fit between the case and bullet.

Why are you using a LFC die?  I don't like swaging the bullet down after they were sized at the factory or the bullet maker.  For matches, just take your barrel out and do the plunk test for your ammo.  For practice, if a bullet is a little oversize and does not chamber all the way, it is good practice to clear it.  I don't like relying on a crimp to keep the bullet in place; I use an undersize resizing die, and that provides a good friction fit between the case and bullet.
Particularly in 9mm the Lee FCD isn't swaging the bullets down. I've measured before and after. 9mm is tapered so a larger diameter at the opening of the die than at the bullet.

What it does do is swage down the case head in the region that the Dillon sizing die does not reach. The Dillon sizing die is flared at the base to allow better alignment and reliability of the press. Unfortunately I was getting 3-4% reject rate in my case gauge. I switched to the Lee FCD and now I'm running 0.5% reject rate. And 0 of those were sizing issues (3 shaved bullets, 1 sideways primer, 1 no primer).

I just screwed mine all the way down to the Dillon ring and it seems to work just fine through about 20,000 rounds now. The only issue I've had with the Lee FCD is with 9 major cases that have been stretched out. It force the case down and makes a little ring at the bottom on some of them.