9 major or 38 SC

JJB05

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I also switched from 38 Super to 9mm major because of the brass. Just got tired of brass collecting and 9mm is cheap to buy already processed. But I do miss the 38 Super boom factor!

1 hour ago, zzt said:

Use 10.4gr Major Pistol powder under a 115 and you'll get the boom back.

How much powder would it be for 38 super with same bullet and same pf

Edited by Fo0

I have no idea how much more you would need for 38 Super.  That's generally loaded way longer than I load 9mm major.  With a 115 HAP 9.1gr makes 149PF and 10.2 makes 168PF.  Maybe you can deduce it from that.  My guess, and it's an outright guess, is you will need at least .5gr more if you load to 1.280", and probably more.

1.161 OAL; custom 2011 Open gun I built.  Here is a pic.100_1175.thumb.JPG.0b18896291bf618f77b79171d7d55c0f.JPG

• 9 months later...

Ok...I ended up ordering a PT Honcho.  I built one from their Race Shop option, not wth the 4 barrels.  I am getting it in 9 major.  gonna be about 2 months until i get it...starting to think about projectiles to use.  I have heard a lot of people using precision delta 124 grain JHP's....what are other people using? i ordered a 100 count from PD (124 JHP), saw Everglades has 125 gr FMJ but not JHP...any sense trying those? I want to load a couple different brands and profiles to see what works best.  I am open to suggestions.

15 hours ago, JJB05 said:

1.  Everglades has 125 gr FMJ but not JHP...any sense trying those?  

2.   I want to load a couple different brands to see what works best. 

Really no reason to try other brands - they're all good

I have been using MG for years but going to change to PD when they're gone - same quality, but much cheaper

The Everglades are okay, but unless they're completely coated in copper jacket (the base too) they'll require

you to keep cleaning the comp out everytime you shoot.     :( 

All you need is PD - you'll be happy with them (I'm not related to them, BTW).

You might want to experiment with different powders, but RMR, MG or PD are all great.    :) 

2 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Really no reason to try other brands - they're all good

All you need is PD - you'll be happy with them (I'm not related to them, BTW).

You might want to experiment with different powders, but RMR, MG or PD are all great.    :) 

Yep. I guarantee they will work great in your Honcho. 

Even if they didn't we're (PD) always here to help out with any issues you run into.  

5 hours ago, Ssanders224 said:

Yep. I guarantee they will work great in your Honcho. 

Even if they didn't we're (PD) always here to help out with any issues you run into.  

I ordered some PD's to try them....i have only heard good things about them.

On 1/9/2020 at 2:01 PM, DJNKY49 said:

I'd stick to the Precision Delta 124gr JHP. Great Pricing, excellent customer service, and very consistent! 

I just bought 2000 124gr JHP from them in 9mm for a Glock 34 and S&W M&P2.0 5" any suggestions on OAL, load info new to 9mm loading. I have Bullseye, Win231 and Vn320 Vn330.

Thanks.

12 hours ago, EJMK22 said:

I just bought 2000 124gr JHP from them in 9mm for a Glock 34 and S&W M&P2.0 5" any suggestions on OAL, load info new to 9mm loading. I have Bullseye, Win231 and Vn320 Vn330.

Thanks.

My Glock and X5 both like 4.0g N320 at 1.14 OAL with mixed brass with the PD 124g JHP

• 2 months later...

Myself and a bunch of other guys around me are using the poly coated/jacket bullets in 9, 40 and 9maj with great accuracy and consistency. The lead is completely covered and the comp and barrel don't foul very fast. I use Black bullets International, a few other use ACME (which I got away from for my own reasons). I just never really hear them mentioned on the forums, wondering why?

3 hours ago, Ranger90 said:

Myself and a bunch of other guys around me are using the poly coated/jacket bullets in 9, 40 and 9maj with great accuracy and consistency. The lead is completely covered and the comp and barrel don't foul very fast. I use Black bullets International, a few other use ACME (which I got away from for my own reasons). I just never really hear them mentioned on the forums, wondering why?

Because shooting coated lead in a comped gun will give you Coronavirus